2 1/2 weeks for HD to even START work on my TG

Bikerbozo

Class Clown
Jun 9, 2010
Coram, NY USA
That's actually a record fast for these weasels.
So, it turns out problem with my '10 TG engine with 87k miles on it. They found seal between engine and primary completely gone. Fly wheels shifted (I never heard of this before), causing oil pump shift. Hence, not pumping right. Cams in excellent shape. They have to call it in to see what they can get from extended warranty.
As a bonus, mechanic tested trike over 20 miles to warm it up. I warned him ahead of time how much oil in primary. He took all screws off derby cover. It was stuck on. Then it burst free. Mechanic, all his clothes, shoes and bike on lift next to mine got soaked with 200'F oil.

"Then it burst free. Mechanic, all his clothes, shoes and bike on lift next to mine got soaked with 200'F oil.[/QUOTE]:AGGHH:

Some days are better spent fishing or hunting...

That's actually a record fast for these weasels.
So, it turns out problem with my '10 TG engine with 87k miles on it. They found seal between engine and primary completely gone. Fly wheels shifted (I never heard of this before), causing oil pump shift. Hence, not pumping right. Cams in excellent shape. They have to call it in to see what they can get from extended warranty.
As a bonus, mechanic tested trike over 20 miles to warm it up. I warned him ahead of time how much oil in primary. He took all screws off derby cover. It was stuck on. Then it burst free. Mechanic, all his clothes, shoes and bike on lift next to mine got soaked with 200'F oil.

This was written in 09. But it generally explains flywheel shifting>>>

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/building-stout-twin-cam-crank

the primary gasket gone I dont see that crank shifting yes something that can happen. oil pump shift??? might be out of time but it will pump or not. crank shift will stop it from pumping. now the crank shift is the real failure. they should be putting a new engine in. might want to see if they will put a 110 or a 120 in for a little extra.

the primary gasket gone I dont see that crank shifting yes something that can happen. oil pump shift??? might be out of time but it will pump or not. crank shift will stop it from pumping. now the crank shift is the real failure. they should be putting a new engine in. might want to see if they will put a 110 or a 120 in for a little extra.

:Agree:

I had the crank shift on my 2005 Road King at around 50k miles. Got a new engine under extended warranty.

Kevin

Crank shifting on a Harley Twin Cam isn't uncommon, some get lucky and never see it while others experience it at least once. A lot of times the crank will shift and take out the oil pump, guys know they have a problem when it starts vibrating more than usual and on real bad ones, a loss in oil pressure. 2007 was the worse year for crank shifting, the new longer stroke and the 6 speed helped many of cranks to an early demise. A lot of folks forget you have to down shift from time to time, some would just roll on more throttle while going up that hill chug chug chugging away. One of the quick fixes was to increase the run out spec, folks who would in the past have a warranty claim due to excessive run out, now had squat due to the increased specifications.

Harley finally got smart with the introduction of TBW for 2008, they took control of how much and how fast the throttle was going to open, they also increased the pressing pressure used to assemble the crank. These two things along with the increased run out spec. solved a good many of their warranty claims. It still happens, just no quite as often as it used to.

As the article linked by FLTR2008TRIKE points out, burnouts, hard acceleration and deceleration can cause a shift, the deceleration can be something as simple as dropping down 1 too many gears when slowing down, or engine braking. Wheelies can bring it about, another action which can wreck a crank in short order is a panic stop with the clutch still engaged. Have someone pull out in front of you which causes you to slam on the breaks locking up the rear wheels, a good chance you could cause a crank shaft shift, maybe not a catastrophic shift, but a shift none the less.

Thanks everyone. You've all explained to me exactly what happened. Living in the NYC area, I certainly would never have need of fast starts or stops (lie). Never done a wheelie with it (truth for once).

Don't put all of the blame on the H-D Dealership, I had a similar problem with my 2011 Tri- Glide at 93,000 miles with the extended warranty. It took a week for the insurance company to schedule an inspector to check out the problem and get approval for the work.

Thanks everyone. You've all explained to me exactly what happened. Living in the NYC area, I certainly would never have need of fast starts or stops (lie). Never done a wheelie with it (truth for once).

If the extended warranty makes them rebuild it vs replace, try and get an S&S crank vs the rubber ducky POS Harley crank.

Don't put all of the blame on the H-D Dealership, I had a similar problem with my 2011 Tri- Glide at 93,000 miles with the extended warranty. It took a week for the insurance company to schedule an inspector to check out the problem and get approval for the work.

That time was how long it took to actually put it on lift and diagnose problem.

More important, kudos on your impressive mileage in this time period.
Upon thinking about it. If metals were different, expansion and contraction rates will be different. I can see pressed parts slipping then. Really hot engine or when I start it in middle of winter.

If the extended warranty makes them rebuild it vs replace, try and get an S&S crank vs the rubber ducky POS Harley crank.

Yeah, I tried that with mine, no go. Even offered to pay for getting it plugged and welded, still a no go. This was back in 07. They would have done it, but then the new (Reman) engine would not be under warranty.

As you noted above, they are doing a better job with the higher pressure press fit.

Kevin

Update time. Just got the word. Full engine rebuild approved. Not engine replacement. Per the HD extended warranty insurance company, this is most cost effective fix.
They just ordered all the parts.
For those counting, this is week 6 of our (my) national nightmare.
Oh, and after rebuild is done, They will then look at reverse motor. Because, why multitask!!!

Update time. Just got the word. Full engine rebuild approved. Not engine replacement. Per the HD extended warranty insurance company, this is most cost effective fix.
Oh, and after rebuild is done, They will then look at reverse motor. Because, why multitask!!!

Whats Wrong with the reverse motor?, While they have everything apart it might be a good idea to put in a mechanical reverse... The parts cost about the same...

Whats Wrong with the reverse motor?, While they have everything apart it might be a good idea to put in a mechanical reverse... The parts cost about the same...
Something got screwed up when they replaced wiring harness earlier this year. All warranty, so they will still be paying to fix reverse.

If they are rebuilding it, you should be able to have them install a set of S&S wheels instead of the HD with you picking up the difference in cost. It kind of sounds like you're working with the mentally impaired, if they can't check out the reverse while waiting for parts.

If they are rebuilding it, you should be able to have them install a set of S&S wheels instead of the HD with you picking up the difference in cost. It kind of sounds like you're working with the mentally impaired, if they can't check out the reverse while waiting for parts.
The people running the service dept are referred to as knuckleheads by the mechanic. He follows what they assign him. Somehow, they are afraid of putting two different items through warranty at the same time. And this is why I will never, ever buy a new bike from them again. Less than 2 years left on warranty, then I wash my hands of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I have mentioned multiple times I would be willing to pay extra to upgrade. They are just too lazy to work that out.

The people running the service dept are referred to as knuckleheads by the mechanic. He follows what they assign him. Somehow, they are afraid of putting two different items through warranty at the same time. And this is why I will never, ever buy a new bike from them again. Less than 2 years left on warranty, then I wash my hands of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I have mentioned multiple times I would be willing to pay extra to upgrade. They are just too lazy to work that out.
Well At the rate there going if its a realy bad long winter You will be on the road by late late late spring , early summer . You should have gotten rental insurance with that xtened warranty ????:qpnmt:

Crank shifting on a Harley Twin Cam isn't uncommon, some get lucky and never see it while others experience it at least once. A lot of times the crank will shift and take out the oil pump, guys know they have a problem when it starts vibrating more than usual and on real bad ones, a loss in oil pressure. 2007 was the worse year for crank shifting, the new longer stroke and the 6 speed helped many of cranks to an early demise. A lot of folks forget you have to down shift from time to time, some would just roll on more throttle while going up that hill chug chug chugging away. One of the quick fixes was to increase the run out spec, folks who would in the past have a warranty claim due to excessive run out, now had squat due to the increased specifications.

Harley finally got smart with the introduction of TBW for 2008, they took control of how much and how fast the throttle was going to open, they also increased the pressing pressure used to assemble the crank. These two things along with the increased run out spec. solved a good many of their warranty claims. It still happens, just no quite as often as it used to.

As the article linked by FLTR2008TRIKE points out, burnouts, hard acceleration and deceleration can cause a shift, the deceleration can be something as simple as dropping down 1 too many gears when slowing down, or engine braking. Wheelies can bring it about, another action which can wreck a crank in short order is a panic stop with the clutch still engaged. Have someone pull out in front of you which causes you to slam on the breaks locking up the rear wheels, a good chance you could cause a crank shaft shift, maybe not a catastrophic shift, but a shift none the less.

bought my 07 street-glide, got it home in the cold, bud rode it home, he had leathers, first time i rode it 30 days later the oil pump broke in 4 pieces, 37 thousands run out on the pinion shaft. Harley wouldn't do squat for me, being second owner and 9k miles,

took it to uncle jims shop, and indy he called someone he knew in the bowels of hd and i got a new motor free of charge,. hows that for winning the lotto ?

No warranty and no upgrade to 103, even when i offered to pay the difference. About 3k miles since we shall see. :Shrug:

At least the mechanic doing the rebuild I trust to do a good job. Assuming they let him work straight on it. They have a habit of throwing him between different jobs because he is their top guy. I've already been talking with a independent shop I use about adding tuning and setting it at non EPA standards (VW, eat you heart out). Going to try and make this rebuild last a while.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png