2009 Tri Glide engine noise

generally you can buy a '13 103 that somebody drops a 110 eng in their bike for .
$2,500.00. just scan the various forumes for buy & sell items, i have found & own2 for that price

generally you can buy a '13 103 that somebody drops a 110 eng in their bike for .
$2,500.00. just scan the various forumes for buy & sell items, i have found & own2 for that price

It still has the same issues as all the rest of the 103's, roll the dice on whether it will go 40,000 miles or 100,000 miles. Address the mediocre crank and hot running and you get more longevity. With the relatively reasonable pricing on crate engines such as the S&S LC124, one can have a better engine with a heck of a lot more usable torque to move the trike like a stock or lightly modified 103 could ever dream of.

I always figure my time and labor is worth something, to keep swapping engines every few years would be a PIA.

Well we are back on the road again. I hope we get enough decent weather to get the new motor broken in, before the snow flies.

Hi Larry, been watching your progress with intrest. Just wondering if Rena let you ride on the back of her Frankie while yous was down. HaHa just couldnt resist that, anyhow best of luck and we hope to see you guys again sometime.
Oh , cold weather is here in N.Mi. 23 last night.

Hi Larry, been watching your progress with intrest. Just wondering if Rena let you ride on the back of her Frankie while yous was down. HaHa just couldnt resist that, anyhow best of luck and we hope to see you guys again sometime.
Oh , cold weather is here in N.Mi. 23 last night.

Yes Charlie she suggested that lol. she said we could put the original seat, Its got a solo seat on it now. I turned down the offer.:Shrug:
Its about 55 degs and getting ready to rain now.:mad:
The Indy wants me to put about a hundred miles on it and bring it back to check things and change the oil. I guess that was suggested by S&S.

Yes Charlie she suggested that lol. she said we could put the original seat, Its got a solo seat on it now. I turned down the offer.:Shrug:
Its about 55 degs and getting ready to rain now.:mad:
The Indy wants me to put about a hundred miles on it and bring it back to check things and change the oil. I guess that was suggested by S&S.

Surprised you didn't get out early it was nice out .I was out by 9am and back by 12 for the Sunday football games..:D

Just a little update on the engine project. I did get it broke in enough to hammer it a few times. Its put away for the winter now. My honest opinion of the S&S 585 cam they put in it is all wrong for a heavy triglide. It doesn't hit the power band until 3000 rpm, anything below that it is a real dog. it runs likes like hell after 3 grand, its almost scary. Even with the sprocket change I have to get over 70mph to get into sixth gear.
I had them get ahold of S&S again to see what they would suggest. Going to try a 551 cam now.
If anyone has any input on this please let me know.
Thanks Larry

Just a little update on the engine project. I did get it broke in enough to hammer it a few times. Its put away for the winter now. My honest opinion of the S&S 585 cam they put in it is all wrong for a heavy triglide. It doesn't hit the power band until 3000 rpm, anything below that it is a real dog. it runs likes like hell after 3 grand, its almost scary. Even with the sprocket change I have to get over 70mph to get into sixth gear.
I had them get ahold of S&S again to see what they would suggest. Going to try a 551 cam now.
If anyone has any input on this please let me know.
Thanks Larry

You might look at the "T-Man" cam selection. I just re-built a 120r crate motor (completely, cases/crank/rod assembly and all), and with my experience with the OEM SE 266E cams that came with the motor, I was not particularly happy with the street manners in my Trike. After discussing my riding style and where I wanted the Torque, I spoke with Tom at T-Man for his input (as well as the guy that done the work on my heads) and the both suggested the T-Man 577 cams. They work great right off idle and mid-range is awesome as well. I also looked at (and liked the specs) on the T-Man 590 as well. Much better street manners than the OEM 120r crate motor.

Torque and HP where I ride!!!:pepper:

Good luck with whatever you end up with!!

Roger

Is the problems with the Gaterman 1023 Lifters a recent thing? I think (not sure) that's what I installed in my 120r when I changed cams last year.
Butch

SEAlaskan, I just lost a COMPLETE motor when my front intake lifter blew apart. This was also a 120r crate motor and I do not run my bikes hard (currently 73 yrs old!!). I was in cruise control at 2,850 rpms when she went south on me. It damaged the lower section of the lifter journal (hence new cases) and had metal fragments in the rod bearings/crank assembly (hence new crank/rod assembly), as well as metal shavings everywhere else - i.e. cam plate, oil pump, broke the inner cam chain, tore several teeth of the front cam, bent the front cylinder intake push rod, bent the front cylinder intake valve as well.

All this due to the Gaterman lifter coming apart. so as won who took a heavy hit in the pocket book, I would suggest you replace the Gaterman lifters ASAP. Since this happened to me, I know of two other guys that had their lifters go south on them. Too bad I did not hear of this before mine went kapoot!!

Roger

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyldesydedavid

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyldesydedavid
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png