2010 Harley CVO Softail Convertible with Qtec-Engineering Kits (front and rear)

Always said I'd go reverse before a standard trike

Liking the way it looks as a reverse trike. IMO, the main problem with a reverse trike is the lack of storage space, but saddlebags and tour pack would be an option. 10-inch ape-hanger Handlebars and extended cables/lines installed and gas tank in place today.

20220402 (2).jpg

This is the finished notch I had to grind out in the handlebar clamp to allow internal wiring an exit [ref post #14].

20220402 (1).jpg

Eyeballing it

Headlights and front turn signals added. Still need to do some wire connections, but my back just couldn't take it anymore today.

20220403 (4).jpg

Good chance I will change the style of stem I'm using for the front turn signals to a ball and socket (pivot) mount. This post style stem will be too hard to keep from rotating. For potential builders, the threads in the frame here are 3/8-16.

20220403 (2).jpg

Stop it

Ran into a minor snag while installing the master cylinder. The kit includes an integrated (front and rear) brake system with a single master cylinder and separate fluid reservoir all operated by the foot brake pedal. The master cylinder comes from a VW Golf and is mated with an adapter on the footboard bracket. The problem I had was that the holes didn't align well enough to get the bolts through.

20220406 (1).jpg

Had to drill out the holes and make them a little oblong. Also bought some different bolts with a slightly smaller head.

20220406 (2).jpg

Show us your @ss

Getting the rearend ready.

20220405 (1).jpg20220405 (3).jpg

Builders tip: Leave yourself an opening to get the differential through. I found that the gap between the A-arms and through the side of the frame works; just tie the axle stub back out of the way and hold off on installing the shock on that side.

20220406 (8).jpg

Deconstruction

Major operation today; removed the rear end and installed a different drive belt for the rear kit. If you've never done a drive belt on a Harley, know this; everything has to come off the bike; the rear wheel, the oil tank, the primary drive and inner case.

20220408 (1).jpg20220408 (3).jpg20220408 (4).jpg

OK, the swing arm didn't need to come off to change the belt; but it does come off for the rear kit.

The big build up

For the last couple days, I've been putting things back together for the next milestone; four wheels on the ground. Not there yet. New drive belt is installed, primary drive components in place, oil tank back in the bike, and rear frame attached. Would be easier if the Q-tec manual actually explained how things are supposed to go together. Example: this cross brace is upside down. Didn't discover that until I positioned the rear frame and found that the holes didn't align.

20220410 (1).jpg

Clutch was rebuilt with a Rekluse kit. Had some issues with the installation manual here too because the page with the disk setup (stack) was missing. YouTube didn't help. Finally found a complete Installation Guide at the Rekluse web site.

20220410 (2).jpg

I'm doing this auto clutch with a hydraulic throw-out and a Champion mechanical reverse; I hope it all works together!!

TO COOL

That thing is BAD ASS ! Got to be a riot to ride, The only thing that will suck will be everytime you stop it will a hour stop with a million questions, Hurry up so we can see it done :D:D

Troubles in Paradise

Why no updates ? I enjoy the pictures of the progress .

Main reason I haven't posted lately is because nothing's changed that much visually. I'm expecting the painted cowlings to be done next week, provided there are no unforeseen delays. I've also been struggling with a couple problems. First, the snap ring holding the adjuster assembly in the clutch popped out while I was bleeding the hydraulic actuator. The adjuster assembly replaces the OE throw-out bearing in the pressure plate. Then when I put it all back together, somehow I got part of the adjuster backwards and I actually broke the pressure plate trying to force it together. After getting a new pressure plate, it took several days of putting it together and taking it apart before I figured out what I'd done wrong.

20220416 (1).jpg20220416 (2).jpg

Next, I've been struggling with some electrical problems. Fuses blowing and turn signals not working. I thought it was my wiring job, but traced the problem in the rear wiring to the harness supplied with the kit. Whoever built the harness soldered wires together, but didn't use any shrink wrap to keep the connections apart. That won't work! A little insulation added between the black-ground and the blue-power wires. Rear has continuity now to running lights, brake lights, and turn signals; but It's still blowing the Ignition fuse as soon as I turn on the switch. tearing into the front harness now. Picture is the rear:

20220430.jpg

Third problem. I started installing the Cobra true duals (exhaust) and realized that I ordered the wrong part number. Came with 12mm O2 sensor bungs. My bike uses 18mm O2 sensors. Had to order replacement head pipes.

Other than that, things are great...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomeFree
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png