2011h-d trike heat

Just thought I'd add my little story.

the reason I have so much trouble with the heat is because my right leg is stiff, and therefore is very close to the header pipes and the heat coming up from the exhaust. My trike was 24 hours old to me when I shipped it to the states for our 3 1/2 month riding tour.
The heat was so bad, that the back of my thigh was burnt several times. I rode with my bad leg hanging out at times trying to get away from the heat. Cried a lot too! Kept going to Harley dealer's along the journey, and I have to say they were all wonderful, but nothing resolved.
We were riding with friends on our way to Georgia, and to also ride the Dragon, when things finally came to a head. Coming down a hill on the highway the sound of the trike got real loud, then the neutral light came on -- and I was in gear!! Yelled over the CB to my husband that something was wrong and I had to stop. Only place was the small area marked where the highway split. We all pulled up and the heat was so bad I had to move back into the passenger seat to get my leg away from it .... just as my friend yelled that the bike was on fire!!!!! They grabbed their bottles of water and put it out. My husband then saw oil all under the trike. He took the chrome cover off the header pipe to find that they had split from the heat about 6-7 inches.
Arranged a tow truck, and trike was taken to Chattanooga H-D These people were amazing. Their technician was finally able to tell me the problem. A wire was broken, and this prevented the flap from opening on the cat converter -- so all the heat was going back into the engine. Bad enough to near blow the thing up with me on it. This was from initial build of the bike before it was shipped to me!!!!! The heat also melted my clutch cable, this is why the light came on, and it was that oil that caught fire.
Gotta tell ya it was scarey there for a while.

Just thought I'd add my little story.

the reason I have so much trouble with the heat is because my right leg is stiff, and therefore is very close to the header pipes and the heat coming up from the exhaust. My trike was 24 hours old to me when I shipped it to the states for our 3 1/2 month riding tour.
The heat was so bad, that the back of my thigh was burnt several times. I rode with my bad leg hanging out at times trying to get away from the heat. Cried a lot too! Kept going to Harley dealer's along the journey, and I have to say they were all wonderful, but nothing resolved.
We were riding with friends on our way to Georgia, and to also ride the Dragon, when things finally came to a head. Coming down a hill on the highway the sound of the trike got real loud, then the neutral light came on -- and I was in gear!! Yelled over the CB to my husband that something was wrong and I had to stop. Only place was the small area marked where the highway split. We all pulled up and the heat was so bad I had to move back into the passenger seat to get my leg away from it .... just as my friend yelled that the bike was on fire!!!!! They grabbed their bottles of water and put it out. My husband then saw oil all under the trike. He took the chrome cover off the header pipe to find that they had split from the heat about 6-7 inches.
Arranged a tow truck, and trike was taken to Chattanooga H-D These people were amazing. Their technician was finally able to tell me the problem. A wire was broken, and this prevented the flap from opening on the cat converter -- so all the heat was going back into the engine. Bad enough to near blow the thing up with me on it. This was from initial build of the bike before it was shipped to me!!!!! The heat also melted my clutch cable, this is why the light came on, and it was that oil that caught fire.
Gotta tell ya it was scarey there for a while.

I am certainly glad you are OK from that ordeal. There are some folks on this board that don't think they run hot:Shrug:

I am certainly glad you are OK from that ordeal. There are some folks on this board that don't think they run hot:Shrug:

I don't think anybody on this Board has said they don't run hot. Her's catching on fire was from a malfunction from the build she had. I think it also depends on your riding. Where you ride and how much weight you carry. I've seen Trikes that are obviously overloaded and pulling Trailer's. I can tell you one thing for sure. If I felt like some on this board, I would not own a Harley or any other make. They all run hot. After all, you are sitting on top of a Motor with little between you.

I too, was dismayed when I paid $32,000 for a 2011 bacon fryer on 3 wheels and the dealer told me it was doing what it was supposed to do. My choice was to live with it, get rid of the Trike, or spend more to fix it. The road pegs and ECM update helped, but it was still running too hot for my liking. Now, $9,000 of engine upgrades and other blings have the bike where I wanted it to be. And that $ is nothing compared to what I see other guys sink into their rides. If you are happy with it stock, that is good. I promise you if you had ridden mine before I spent the dough, you would have been amazed at the amount of heat it generated. My buddy has a 2012 Wide Glide with a 103, new pipes, screaming eagle breather and tuner. Sunday we did a standing start drag race on a remote road. I smoked him terribly and at twice the weight. He couldnt believe it. Now it is a sweet runnin' bike and there are zero heat problems. To me,,,worth every dime. We all have to make the best choice for your situation.

Catalytic converter, 3" from the heel of our right boot, lights off at 600-700 degrees and runs at 900-1000 degrees. Just sayin' :Shrug:

I too, was dismayed when I paid $32,000 for a 2011 bacon fryer on 3 wheels and the dealer told me it was doing what it was supposed to do. My choice was to live with it, get rid of the Trike, or spend more to fix it. The road pegs and ECM update helped, but it was still running too hot for my liking. Now, $9,000 of engine upgrades and other blings have the bike where I wanted it to be. And that $ is nothing compared to what I see other guys sink into their rides. If you are happy with it stock, that is good. I promise you if you had ridden mine before I spent the dough, you would have been amazed at the amount of heat it generated. My buddy has a 2012 Wide Glide with a 103, new pipes, screaming eagle breather and tuner. Sunday we did a standing start drag race on a remote road. I smoked him terribly and at twice the weight. He couldnt believe it. Now it is a sweet runnin' bike and there are zero heat problems. To me,,,worth every dime. We all have to make the best choice for your situation.

You must have put a 120R and positive traction, or your buddy didn't know how to ride the 103 wide glide???

Just a question. Why is the Tri Glide so much hotter then an Ultra? The saddlebags stick out almost as far.
Someone described it as the wind being blocked by the rear wheels, but wouldn't the saddlebags block the wind also?

Could it be because the bags are smaller in frontal area?

Just took the trike for a run to Daytona with our club, ran it hard on the highways and as usual ran right into heavy traffic in Daytona. The engine did get hot in traffic, the rear cylinder shut down, and I got my legs out of the floorboards and onto the pegs, as I would with any of my other Harleys. I did not notice anything unusual about this. Granted it is not 98* out yet but to me it is tolerable. Now if you keep your right leg next to the oven....o-well....

10rhrk...Didn't do the 120, not that wealthy!..Did the cams and lifters, Ness big Sucker, V&H Power Duals, V&H Black Widow Mufflers... tuned by a really experienced tech...I cant say how Buddies skills would affect a race...we did it 3 times, smoked him all 3 times...It is just extremley fast now. And cool runnung. The tech that tuned it was even surprised.

10rhrk...Didn't do the 120, not that wealthy!..Did the cams and lifters, Ness big Sucker, V&H Power Duals, V&H Black Widow Mufflers... tuned by a really experienced tech...I cant say how Buddies skills would affect a race...we did it 3 times, smoked him all 3 times...It is just extremley fast now. And cool runnung. The tech that tuned it was even surprised.

I like my wife's 2012 Triglide. I've riden it a few times by myself. I think it has plenty of power just with the stage 1 setup she has now. I'll be 70 my next Birthday. Might start looking at Trikes in 5 or 10 years for myself. Ride safe!

Just a question. Why is the Tri Glide so much hotter then an Ultra? The saddlebags stick out almost as far.
Someone described it as the wind being blocked by the rear wheels, but wouldn't the saddlebags block the wind also?

Could it be because the bags are smaller in frontal area?

I'd say that the width of the trunk is about the same as the bag-to-bag width of a bagger. The trunk is taller where the bags would be. Then add the fender width and there's just nowhere for the air to go. It eventually gets around, but there is a huge dead spot, most likely a high pressure area, that resides right around the rider and passenger boards. So that cat, running at 1000 degrees, is throwing off heat right into that high pressure dead zone.

You must have put a 120R and positive traction, or your buddy didn't know how to ride the 103 wide glide???

As it comes from the factory the 103 is no ball of fire, the only difference between it and a 96 is 7 ci with everything else the same. I've seen numerous before tuning dynos of both 96's and 103's. On average the 96 comes in at 65hp and 77-78ft/lb torque and the 103 comes in at 69hp and 83ft/lb torque so a difference of around 4 hp and 5ft/lb torque is not much considering. Now toss in a set of cams and a tune on the 103 and you can see 87hp with 97ft/lb torque, the extra power and torque from cams and tune will more than make up the weight difference of the lighter bike with the lackluster performing 103.

As it comes from the factory the 103 is no ball of fire, the only difference between it and a 96 is 7 ci with everything else the same. I've seen numerous before tuning dynos of both 96's and 103's. On average the 96 comes in at 65hp and 77-78ft/lb torque and the 103 comes in at 69hp and 83ft/lb torque so a difference of around 4 hp and 5ft/lb torque is not much considering. Now toss in a set of cams and a tune on the 103 and you can see 87hp with 97ft/lb torque, the extra power and torque from cams and tune will more than make up the weight difference of the lighter bike with the lackluster performing 103.

That's all well and good for the person who wants it. I'm satisfied with the performance of my stock 96 and the Triglides stock 103. Not racing anymore. Don't ride two up or pull a Trailer. I can get to the speed limit quick enough. Don't mind shifting down to 5th for hills and curves. Don't want to spend big buck's for a few more HP I don't need. JMO

That's all well and good for the person who wants it. I'm satisfied with the performance of my stock 96 and the Triglides stock 103. Not racing anymore. Don't ride two up or pull a Trailer. I can get to the speed limit quick enough. Don't mind shifting down to 5th for hills and curves. Don't want to spend big buck's for a few more HP I don't need. JMO

I agree, Ron! I have plenty of speed for my need!

I agree, Ron! I have plenty of speed for my need!

Need for Speed was a great Computer game back when Win 98 SE was new. I miss that game! I think TnTriker is liking her 2012 Triglide more now that she's put some miles on it. Getting used to the Pizza Box...lol. Merry christmas you and your Family Ironhorsepilot.

Ron

All points well made and true.

When mine was in stock form the one thing I noticed was if the motor got hot (happened any time it was over 80 degrees out), it fell flat on its face after a few miles. But when it would do that, I would just give myself more time to pass and lower my expectations of how I thought it should accelerate.

You are correct Bobs... All good points well made. Here in the West,,we have to deal with a lotta very large mountains, which result in a variety of long steep grades. There are lots of steep mountain highways and freeways here in Idaho and eastern Oregon that are 3 to 5 miles long and even longer in some areas. Very Steep too. White Bird Pass,,Cabbage Hill,, 6 to 7% grades and many miles long. When riding 2 up.....I didnt like shifting down to 4th gear to try and keep at 50 mph. And that is what I used to have to do,, not to mention the heat issue going on too...Could not pass trucks pulling 5th wheels and trailers. Had to stay behind them to draft and keep up!! Do not have that issue now. 70 mph in 6th all the way to the top on any of them. Geography will also play a part in what you need for power. I will use that as an excuse to upgrade power! LOL I do not worry about fuel milage,, never check it, have no idea what I get. Have to fill it anyway and it is only 6 gallons!..not an issue for me.

LOL I do not worry about fuel milage,, never check it, have no idea what I get. Have to fill it anyway and it is only 6 gallons!..not an issue for me.

LOL! My MPG has been marginal from the beginning. Now that I have my Roll-a-Home trailer, I can & will carry extra gas in the storage box.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png