2012 Kaw 900 with Storm Kit

Oct 4, 2012
Tallahassee
Hi all, and a Happy Holiday Season!

After a bad crash on her beloved 2-wheeled Boulevard, we just bought my wife a '12 Kawasaki with the Storm kit,

Serial# C002603. I contacted Bill at Champion but they do not have records on the build since they bought Lehman in 2012.

Main questions are:

Who supplied the Calipers, Pads and Rotors?

The left wheelbearing is questionable. Size and Mfg Part Number?

Anyone out in Virtual Trike-land have a clue?

Safe riding,

Harry

hi all, and a happy holiday season!

After a bad crash on her beloved 2-wheeled boulevard, we just bought my wife a '12 kawasaki with the storm kit,

serial# c002603. I contacted bill at champion but they do not have records on the build since they bought lehman in 2012.

Main questions are:

Who supplied the calipers, pads and rotors?

The left wheelbearing is questionable. Size and mfg part number?

Anyone out in virtual trike-land have a clue?

Safe riding,

harry

harry, merry christmas to you.

I need a picture of the axle housing as lehman had 2 different rear axles before champion bought them and then champion had their own.

Thanks,

jim murphy

Hi Jim,

I saw your reply earlier today and woulda swore that there was a personal email to send the pics I just took...

I'm not quite sure. I'm a child of the sixties/seventies and sometimes there's stuff out there that just isn't for real....

Harry

"I brake for hallucinations..."

20171225_140943.jpg20171225_141004.jpg20171223_131149.jpg20171223_131123.jpg

Okay? Not sure why they loaded UPSIDE DOWN...

But I'm still kind of surprised that they used a live axle w/o a differential.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Harry, you have the second design axle assembly.

Lehman referred to it as a NAG (North American Gear) Axle.

I have very little information on it and have spoken with the project manager at NAG about it in the past.

There is a differential within but it has 24 tooth splines and was special made. The brake Calipers are made by Hayes, they are the same company who manufacturer the calipers that Harley-Davidson uses.

I have spoken with Hayes directly and they cannot sell them due to priority agreement with HD to me or you. I contacted one of the Hayes dealers, he quoted a price that was $10.00 more than I could buy it from Harley-Davidson.

The brake rotors were a special manufactured part of unknown origin.

I use their drawings to make my own from an automotive counterpart. A lot of machining goes into it making it rather expensive.

I try to recreate the exact parts so that sometime down the road those parts are available. I have looked at changing the brake system so that an off the shelf auto part can be utilized but the problem remains in machining and a potential problem passed down to the next buyer. If, for example a Honda car rotor could be adapted by modifying the caliper mount, there could be a problem later in determining what rotor was used, and not the case if it was a Lehman rotor.

BTW I have rotors and disc pads. If you can provide me with the bearing dimensions I can cross reference the bearings. Bearing O/D bearing I/D and bearing width.

Hope this helps. I have all of the parts for the first design axle assembly though.

I did have my email link and phone number posted long enough for you to get it, but removed it since I am getting bombarded with spam.

Jim Murphy

axle bearing

Harry,

The bearing specs according to a drawing that I DO have are 80X35X21mm. The 21mm should be the width of the inner and outer races. Removal is pretty straight forward. Remove the caliper, brake rotor, hub nut and hub. Remove the 4 bot flange cap bolts and the axle should come out.

Wow, Jim... You really are a Lehman guru, huh.

If I go into my local Hardley store they should be able to hook me up with pads? Fortunately the rotors are still ok.

I owe you a coffee, my friend.