2014 HD Tri Glide Heat

I had a 2011 triglide with alot of heat.Did the things on here that most do to lessen it.I traded for a 2014 & only had a couple of 80+ deg. days & it is night & day difference so far.Once it gets into the upper 90's i'll know more,but so far it isn't close to how hot my 11 was.I have decatted the head pipe but nothing else yet for cooling purposes.

My 2007 Ultra is so hot I don't even ride it between June and September. If I am caught in traffic for 2 minutes my shoes start to melt. One guy I rode with had his heel melt on his boots from his Ultra by riding it in hot weather. Every Ultra I've had has been the same, and I've had 7 of them. I've seen Harleys being pushed down the road in slow or stopped traffic with the engine off cause the riders couldn't stand the heat from sitting and idling.

Are you and your friend maybe riding with your boot actually sitting "on" the pipe and that's why they're melting?
:Shrug:
Why do you keep buying Ultras over and over again if you can't ride them - especially during the summer?? I think you'd learn after the second one. :Shrug:
If I'm caught in bumper to bumper traffic with no relief in sight(at Canada/US border) I'd shut off my bike too, and have done that a couple times.
Yes, they are hot to a certain degree, but can be rectified. I have a higher tolerance for heat so it doesn't bother me as much. I have done a few things to help, like getting a custom made "crotch cooler" (Capt Itch on TT forum makes them, but I had a local gal make a custom one for me) and floor board extenders. I see that they don't have extenders for the '14's because of the brake. I'll just have to wait till hot temps get here to see how the '14 TG feels.
I've never removed the cat and don't ever intend to. I keep my bikes as stock as I can - less troubles that way - for me at least. ThumbUp

Good luck

GaryD I took the extensions off my 11 trike & was able to use on the right side.I then went to ace & bought the grade 8 bolts,& spacers for the left side.Works great.

My friend has a 1942 WLA Military Harley, he has an org. operating manual that says, if at idle for more then 30 sec's to shut the eng. off. I guess Harley had a heat prob. even 72 years ago :AGGHH:.

on my 2013 T/G I have yet to have a shoe melt, or anything else, my wife has never complained about the heat even on the hottest days [and she complains about everything :D].
The heat is not a prob. for me, BTW, my trike is all stock.

Air cooled eng's. run hot, esp on a hot day.

I am toying with the idea of trading my 2011 in on a 2014.

We have some Customer local to us that have 2014 TG's and the engine does put out less radiant heat, but the Cat is just as hot.

If I do make the trade, I will still use the Wards Parts Werks FCS fans.

I will also either get a different exhaust system with no cat, or just remove the cat from the stock headers.

Not sure what slip-ons I will run.

Will use an Outlaw Air Cleaner, and Power Vision for tuning.

Kevin

:Agree: Power Vision:pepper:

<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

My friend has a 1942 WLA Military Harley, he has an org. operating manual that says, if at idle for more then 30 sec's to shut the eng. off. I guess Harley had a heat prob. even 72 years ago :AGGHH:.

on my 2013 T/G I have yet to have a shoe melt, or anything else, my wife has never complained about the heat even on the hottest days [and she complains about everything :D].
The heat is not a prob. for me, BTW, my trike is all stock.

Air cooled eng's. run hot, esp on a hot day.

That's funny about the 1942 model. Like to own one. My wife like yours has never complained about heat either but I can see it in and on her. At 62 years young I am just trying to keep her comfortable as possible. She has had one heart attack while riding with me and I'm just looking out for her. I am going to get the cat converter removed on my 2014 TG. I did this with my old 2010 and it most defiantly helps.
Happy riding and have a good summer of riding.

Two minutes and your boots start to melt?:confused:

That's what I said and others here sure back me up.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you and your friend maybe riding with your boot actually sitting "on" the pipe and that's why they're melting?
:Shrug:
Why do you keep buying Ultras over and over again if you can't ride them - especially during the summer?? I think you'd learn after the second one. :Shrug:
If I'm caught in bumper to bumper traffic with no relief in sight(at Canada/US border) I'd shut off my bike too, and have done that a couple times.
Yes, they are hot to a certain degree, but can be rectified. I have a higher tolerance for heat so it doesn't bother me as much. I have done a few things to help, like getting a custom made "crotch cooler" (Capt Itch on TT forum makes them, but I had a local gal make a custom one for me) and floor board extenders. I see that they don't have extenders for the '14's because of the brake. I'll just have to wait till hot temps get here to see how the '14 TG feels.
I've never removed the cat and don't ever intend to. I keep my bikes as stock as I can - less troubles that way - for me at least. ThumbUp

Good luck

To answer your question, I'm done buying them. The earlier ones were not that hot. I'm not going to spend a fortune for a bike and then have to spend another fortune to fix something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Money is too dear to me and many others in this day and age to need to spend 32 grand on a Triglide like my brother in law did and then spend another 8 grand to change pipes, converted, handlebars, etc etc etc. It just isn't worth it just to be able to brag to folks that I ride a Harley. Besides, who cares. The "oh how neat" rage ended many years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your question, I'm done buying them. The earlier ones were not that hot. I'm not going to spend a fortune for a bike and then have to spend another fortune to fix something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. Money is too dear to me and many others in this day and age to need to spend 32 grand on a Triglide like my brother in law did and then spend another 8 grand to change pipes, converted, handlebars, etc etc etc. It just isn't worth it just to be able to brag to folks that I ride a Harley. Besides, who cares. The "oh how neat" rage ended many years ago.
Well, good luck to ya in the future. As for me, I still get the " oh how neat" factor when I ride mine. I plan on putting many more miles on this thing or at least till my boots melt!;)

- - - Updated - - -

So, to you, the only reason to own a Harley is to be able to brag???? About what? I never heard that reason before. Good luck to you.
I can see you finally stopped bragging. I never knew that rage even started.

$8K to cool his bike???? WTF.
I can see - maybe - $2K at the most - where did you come up with $8K??? What did that buy him??? :Shrug:
I bet there are thousands of owners that haven't spent a penny to cool their bikes.

I know my boots won't melt because I don't rest them on the pipes. ThumbUp

I still would like to know why you bought 8 Ultras? After the second one wouldn't that be enough of a sign not to buy anymore???

Have a good day and enjoy whatever bike you have.

I will wait till winter and replace the exhaust removing the cat. I hat this done on the 2010 triglide and it helped. I just ordered a cooling vest for my wife.
I was wondering about what you said about the Wards cooling fans. Do these fans blow from left to right or the other way? I don't want any more hot air on my wife's leg.
Thank you

Decided to go ahead and do it now. I am taking it to the dealer next week to have complete exhaust replaced with V&H mufflers, X-over pipes, headers pipes, state one breather and finally dyno. It will only cost 2786.93 when complete.

-I just noticed my 2014 TG the heat is so hot the Live To Ride Plate I have stuck on my transmission cover is melting. That is how hot the cat is. Next week I am getting the entire exhaust system replaced removing the cat. I do spend a lot of money on my toys but I have to admit I do like the Harley and everything about the ownership of it and the people I meet. I don't like spending a lot of money but I can't take it with me when I make my final journey. Might as well spend it on something that I enjoy now. Have a good summer and ride safe.

-I just noticed my 2014 TG the heat is so hot the Live To Ride Plate I have stuck on my transmission cover is melting. That is how hot the cat is. Next week I am getting the entire exhaust system replaced removing the cat. I do spend a lot of money on my toys but I have to admit I do like the Harley and everything about the ownership of it and the people I meet. I don't like spending a lot of money but I can't take it with me when I make my final journey. Might as well spend it on something that I enjoy now. Have a good summer and ride safe.
I agree with you about spending your money on what you like. I do to - guns/gold/and stuff for the Harley. :D

I do not have a heat problem with mine - maybe I have a higher heat tolerance then most. I just brought in mine for the 1K service and they gave me a '14 Street Guide loaner - now that is one hot bike. Sure glad my TG isn't as hot as that.

Heat is very subjective, Way back when' I stopped by Malcolm Forbes dealership He was part owner, As I pulled up on a new Suzuki Malcolm was standing outside, The first thing he said to me was you'll be selling that bike soon 'You won't like the heat coming off of that engine.... Was it hot yes it was' much hotter than riding in a air-condition car, But you have to Remember your riding on top of a heat pump....I think it was Truman who said ;If you can't stand the heat don't cook Pasta... Or something like that... :D

DON'T TOUCH IT!!! You are under warranty. If the bike is that hot, something is wrong. Engine oil under normal circumstances in usually under 300* IF you idle a lot, sit in traffic, or ride very slowly in a high gear you can lug your engine and heat it up. If your leg is burning, it probably isn't the Catalytic Converter. It is located under your right foot. Exhaust gas is around 1200 to 1400 degrees, cat or no cat. If you, or your wife is burning your leg, try moving the pegs, or moving your leg position. We ride '09 and '11 trikes. I put floorboard extensions on both bikes. That inch makes all the difference in the world, and cost about $80 instead of a couple of grand. Also look at your riding position. I've seen new riders with their legs wrapped around the tank and engine in a death grip.

Good Luck

DON'T TOUCH IT!!! You are under warranty. If the bike is that hot, something is wrong. Engine oil under normal circumstances in usually under 300* IF you idle a lot, sit in traffic, or ride very slowly in a high gear you can lug your engine and heat it up. If your leg is burning, it probably isn't the Catalytic Converter. It is located under your right foot. Exhaust gas is around 1200 to 1400 degrees, cat or no cat. If you, or your wife is burning your leg, try moving the pegs, or moving your leg position. We ride '09 and '11 trikes. I put floorboard extensions on both bikes. That inch makes all the difference in the world, and cost about $80 instead of a couple of grand. Also look at your riding position. I've seen new riders with their legs wrapped around the tank and engine in a death grip.

Good Luck
The ETIMS activates at every stop when the outside temps are above 75 or 80 degrees. This is my second trike. My first was a 2010 and my heating issues went away by removal of the cat and lower fairings in the summer. The 2014 you can't remove the fairings. The heat from the radiators are now part of the problem. I have already changed the rear passenger foot pegs for my wife. I am removing replacing the entire exhaust removing the cat this week. The 2014 trike when stock is hotter then the 2010. With the new cooling vests, removal of the cat and the new dyno I hope this all helps. Other then the heat the trike is very nice and looking forward to my next ride. Have a good summer.

When dealing with my heat issues I was able to accomplish increased performance as well. Not only the riding heat for my wife and I but when pulling the bike back in the garage after a run it would sit there and crackle for 10 min as it cooled. Being a member of CVOharley.com as well heat and performance are big topics. Overwhelmingly members are running Fullsac header pipes and muffler inserts, along with TTS Master Tune. You then get to keep OME mufflers and the heat shields cover the header pipes that you can't even see them. The bike pulls like 2 plow horses and runs amazingly cooler. When I pull it in the garage now I don't hear a sound out of it. All for under $1,500.

The ETIMS activates at every stop when the outside temps are above 75 or 80 degrees. This is my second trike. My first was a 2010 and my heating issues went away by removal of the cat and lower fairings in the summer. The 2014 you can't remove the fairings. The heat from the radiators are now part of the problem. I have already changed the rear passenger foot pegs for my wife. I am removing replacing the entire exhaust removing the cat this week. The 2014 trike when stock is hotter then the 2010. With the new cooling vests, removal of the cat and the new dyno I hope this all helps. Other then the heat the trike is very nice and looking forward to my next ride. Have a good summer.

How many miles do you have on your trike right now, I wonder if it would cool down some with miles put on? A tight engine will run hotter than a broken in engine.

Good Luck

I agree. I liked the extenders, but unfortunatly they don't make them for the '14 because of the brake. Another item that helps is the Crotch Cooler by Capt. Itch.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png