2014 Triglide Suspension

Apr 20, 2010
Peeltown, TX
I have been on this site for some time trying to decide the IRS vs solid axle issue. I know many of the advantages of the 14 Triglide....I currently own a 14 Ultra Limited and it really is a great bike for me but I am ready to own a Trike instead. What I am wondering is how many of you that have purchased the 14 Triglide have been disappointed after some months in the saddle regarding the solid axle. I have managed to locate a dealer that will let me have a 14 out of their rental fleet for a couple of hours at no charge or I can rent it for $150.00 a day. Either way I will at least get a feel for the suspension on the bike. Ride is so subjective and I am sure the IRS is smoother.....it is the degree of difference that I am anxious to experience. Any of your comments/experiences are appreciated in advance.

I have been on this site for some time trying to decide the IRS vs solid axle issue. I know many of the advantages of the 14 Triglide....I currently own a 14 Ultra Limited and it really is a great bike for me but I am ready to own a Trike instead. What I am wondering is how many of you that have purchased the 14 Triglide have been disappointed after some months in the saddle regarding the solid axle. I have managed to locate a dealer that will let me have a 14 out of their rental fleet for a couple of hours at no charge or I can rent it for $150.00 a day. Either way I will at least get a feel for the suspension on the bike. Ride is so subjective and I am sure the IRS is smoother.....it is the degree of difference that I am anxious to experience. Any of your comments/experiences are appreciated in advance.

I would ride both types for at least a couple hours and make your decision after your test rides..Some like straight versus the IRS.

Good Luck

I triked my bike and before I selected a manufacturer, I road several trikes, I tested a Triglide, a Lehman, a CSC, Champion, and a Roadsmith. The CSC with IRS was hands down the smoothest ride of the bunch. The Tri and the Lehman, both with a solid axle were the worst. The difference to me was very noticeable. I felt almost every bump in the road with the solids where the IRS bikes were very smooth in comparison, I ended up with the Champion and after trying out both types, I doubt I'll ever have a straight axle.

What I feel and what I like might not be the best ride for you though. I liked the IRS, but you really need to ride a couple different trikes over similar or the same roads and determine which is better for you. Both cornered well and honestly, I didn't feel much difference in them in that regard, but the overall ride of the IRS was easier on me than the solids were. The Champion, CSC, and the RS had a raked tree and the Lehman did not. The Tri was stock and I liked it's handling better than the Lehman. You wanted someones experience, well, that's mine.

I like my '14 TG with the solid axle. 3 years ago a local dealer had "Trike Days" where you could test ride both systems on the same roads. Yes, IRS is smoother on certain roads, but out on the highway and most surface streets, I could not tell any difference and for, at the time, an IRS conversion for my '12 TG was over $5000 - way more then I would pay for such little benefit - to me.
Now if I had to ride bad pot holed streets day in and day out, maybe I would go with the IRS.

If there was no price difference, I would get the IRS, just not for $5K.

Some people have to have the smoothest ride possible. In that case I say go for it - if you can afford it. I just turned 70 last Sunday and I don't mind a few bumps once in a while. It kinda keeps me awake and it's fun navigating the pot holes. :D :D

If I lived in the city of Chicago, I wouldn't own either - I'd buy a hovercraft. :)

The decission is up to you if IRS is THAT important to you. It's a major purchase for sure.

Good Luck ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png