A Glimpse Of Tomorrow Today

In the case of an EMP, but points, condensor and coils will be trashed, too.PC

The primary damage from an EMP is thermal damage to the micro-miniature silicon junctions (transistors, chips) in our modern electronics. The magnetic pulse induces such a large voltage spike across the junction that it vaporizes and everyone knows that, with smoke and mirrors, it all stops working when you let the smoke out. You will have to get your serious Geek on to read most papers on the effects of EMPs but this article, in common language, is mostly accurate about the issue: http://www.askaprepper.com/7-things-that-will-survive-an-emp/

The article's statements about shielding and Faraday Cages is a bit generic and optimistic in my opinion. The older points, coil ignition systems and tube type electronics are generally considered to be immune to EMPs.

Now the computer controlled gas pump............:xzqxz:

Interesting thread.

Been reading on the subject for awhile now. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome, but I do believe EV's will replace a high # of ICE vehicles in the USA, in the not too distant future...next 4-8 years.

I do not own a cage, 4 motorcycles for me. But Mary has a 2018 F-150. I believe it will probably be her last ICE. By the time it is ready to be replaced, it will probably be replaced with an EV truck.

The technology is growing at an incredibly fast rate.

Harley is going to begin selling their first EV bike in 6 month (actually their going to be taking pre-orders starting Next month).

They say they plan to have "a full portfolio of electric motorcycles by 2022." Not sure what a "full portfolio" is, but it sounds like it will be more than 2 or 3 models.

Kevin

I think EVs, and how fast that's moving, everywhere vehicle manufacturers are going in that direction, then I think, bulk oil mega ships that last 30 years, still building those too, gonna be a lot of junk metal around one of these days.

One day the the taxing powers to be are going to figure how to charge/bill the owners of electric vehicles the road use tax; AKA...Gas tax that we ''All'' pay at the gas pumps...:Shrug:..

This has, in a way, already happened. Some states tax fuel efficient vehicles on registration more than gas guzzlers using the logic that they use the same roads, therefore must pay more because they use less fuel and less fuel road tax is collected.

This has, in a way, already happened. Some states tax fuel efficient vehicles on registration more than gas guzzlers using the logic that they use the same roads, therefore must pay more because they use less fuel and less fuel road tax is collected.

Yep, the tax collector cometh no matter what, from several different directions I might add. One wonders how well it is spent, and that's like, "we're only here to help".

Totally agree with Pete. Electricity will skyrocket, once we exit the oil age. Soon as everyone is totally dependent on electricity for every aspect of life, whoever is in control of the electrons will be in total control of you... and your wallet.....(debit card)...

Much like Apple did with their phones.... Hooked you on a free one, once addicted, they now charge over a grand for the latest and greatest....

That's a fact. I can remember when you could get a gallon a gasoline for less than one thin dime. Now look at it. Those in control know how to bait. Even the poor fools that think free stuff from the government is really free will some day get a surprise.

I do agree that the government would like nothing better than to totally control the populace.

However, I can make a KWh of electricity MUCH easier than I can make a gallon of gas.

Wind and solar now account for over 14% of electric power generation in the USA, and that is growing each year.

The cost of solar panels is coming down each year, batteries are getting better each year.

Mary and I lived off the grid for three years about 15 years ago. We relied on diesel fuel to make our electricity, which we stored in batteries. We ran the diesel generator about 10 hours a day and used just the batteries 14 hours a day.

I am looking forward to doing that again, but this time with solar panels instead of diesel....I think it is getting close to an economically feasible option.

Look at the bottom center patch on my vest...one of my favorites!

Leather%209-11-18.jpg

Kevin

Everyones different and there tolerance for certain things is not the same. So having said that, I think what they charge for electric is a great deal. I looked at a cabin years ago. It was a little over a mile from the power poles. They wanted about 9000 dollars to run a line to it. Sounds expensive, but after looking into it I think and still think it was a deal. Any type of power takes maintenance and things wear out or go bad. Thats all on you as the owner. Then take into consideration I'm getting old and don't want power production to be my hobby. I don't know if I'd live long enough to see a return financially but absolutely hate the way houses look with those panels all over the roof. Power is a convenience I don't mind paying for.

Everyones different and there tolerance for certain things is not the same. So having said that, I think what they charge for electric is a great deal. I looked at a cabin years ago. It was a little over a mile from the power poles. They wanted about 9000 dollars to run a line to it. Sounds expensive, but after looking into it I think and still think it was a deal. Any type of power takes maintenance and things wear out or go bad. Thats all on you as the owner. Then take into consideration I'm getting old and don't want power production to be my hobby. I don't know if I'd live long enough to see a return financially but absolutely hate the way houses look with those panels all over the roof. Power is a convenience I don't mind paying for.

Understood.

btw, I just looked at a calendar...it was 1998-2001 that we were off the grid, so about 20 years ago. The electric company wanted 11,000 to run a power line to our house, so instead I bought a diesel generator, batteries, an inverter and transfer switch. Off-road diesel was less than 50 cents a gallon back then, and we saved good money over those 3 years.

Ended up selling the generator for 60% of what I paid for it, don't remember what I got for the batteries, if anything. But it was a cash positive deal. However, it did involve some work, (oil changes, maintaining lead acid batteries, etc.). I learned a bunch, and it was fun.

I've looked at solar off and on over the years...it is getting more and more attractive. I would not do lead acid batteries again, lithium is probably the way to go.

btw, below is a photo of a solar roof. Too expensive, but does not look bad. (each shingle is a small solar panel)

maxresdefault.jpg

We are out in the country, with our home on 6 acres. We would put the panels on the ground, sort of like in this photo-

img-20160922-wa0037.jpg

The way our land is we could put them on a little hill, right near the house, but they would be out of sight when at the house and from the road.

I looked at a wind generator, but we do not have enough consistent wind where we are...but plenty of sun!

I believe the next 10 years are going to bring radical changes in what we see on the road, and how power is generated. Gonna be interesting.

Kevin

I'm wondering where these cars that will drive us wherever we want to go with just a phone call are going to have to be stored when they're not needed. Like at night. And if you work 8-5, how much will it cost you to get back and forth to work at rush hour when the demand's the highest? And what if you have three children plus the wife? How do you get 5 people in a 4 passenger car, plus luggage? All of a sudden your cost of travel has doubled. The cars that work well in warm weather take more power in cold climates so extra cars will be needed. Where will THOSE cars be stored in warm weather? And what about all the gases that charging and discharging batteries give off? What'll we do about that?

There are still an obstacle or two to over come yet.

PC

Sooner than you think

The number one selling vehicle in the US the F150, will be offered in an all electric version next year. A four door truck will easily carry five people. Ford jumping all in with an electric truck after dumping the whole sedan lineup, should give a good glimpse of the future.

Check out the Rivian truck. All electric, 400 miles to a charge, a 30 min booster charge will get you another 200 miles... Quick, lots of nice features, all wheel drive....

the future is now...

Just enough time for a cup of coffee and and sandwich, then push electric accelerator and go. However, I don' see much future for the HD Live Wire right now.

Back in the 70's i had one of the first electric cars........And it never left me stranded...., As long as i didn't damage the the extension cord with the rear axle when i had to make a ''U'' Turn..:D...

Look i'm too old to worry about what might happen in the future..I'm just happy to have what i have now....:D..

I am employed with the company that installs heads on donkeys and then are sent to Washington for final assembly.

I don’t think I am that old and I have seen a lot of change. My grandmother talked about seeing the first automobile coming to town and of course she also talked about seeing the man walk on the moon. She never stepped on a plane.

We we need to stop sending donkeys to Washington. lol

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png