Added some rubber bumpers to my Tow Pac frame

dadztoy

300+ Posts
Dec 12, 2011
Georgetown, Tennessee, USA
I have been chasing an illusive sound while riding and decided to pull the Tow Pac fenders yesterday to examine things... I found a wear mark on the cross piece where the fender bracket attaches to the Tow Pac sub-frame... I also added a long rubber strip along the frame to keep the fiberglass fender off the steel sub-frame... A test ride a bit later this morning will be in order to see if I found the offending noise...

Les

rsz_dscn1138.jpg

I have a tow-pac on a 1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. It runs and handles fine, but does have it's share of noises and rattles. When I got the bike in 2013 it was already set up. I have ridden it 9000 miles and experienced a few bolts loosen, and one sheared off on the right side when a mounting bracket on the bike broke on the left side. Got everything welded and rebolted and have had no problems since. I might add that when the weld broke and bolt sheared, the bike still was rideable to get it back to the shop which, to me, is a tribute to how the tow-pac is made. It does sometimes have a little head shake when taking off from a stop or after hitting a low speed bump. I attribute this to our severely crowned roads and roads here that are in severe disrepair. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Thanks for your comments... I am always interested in other opinions regarding the Tow Pac conversion whether they be good or bad... I have been quite happy with mine despite a few issues I have corrected...

Les

To follow-up ...

Les, did the rubber pieces you added eliminate the noises you were hearing?

(Also - Update on my recent used Insta-Trike purchase order - The MC Dealer today phoned & says he got my check, since they do not take visa, and that they will now soon ship it.)

John

My '94 Vulcan has now developed a rattle that I think is coming from the right fender. Will try to remove fender soon to see if that's the problem. Both fenders have been equipped with led lights and I am not sure at this point how much extra wire is there so a fender can be removed. May take it in to the local Kaw. dealer so we can get it up on a life to see better. I am not physically able to crawl around on my garage floor any more.

might be some hardware that loosed up - that happened to me after our New Orleans road trip last year and all the rough roads in "The Big Easy"... You might want to check the hardware tightness while you have the bike on the lift... Mine was a bolt that secured the fender bracket to the frame...

Les

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png