Additional rear lights for Valkyrie Interstate Trike

I have a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate with a California side car trike kit. It still has the original upper trunk. I am looking for advice on light kits to add to back to improve visibility by cars etc behind me. Any suggestions?

Also, I am not handy so I would want to have the lights installed. Any suggestions on cost?

One thing I've found when trying to obtain lights for the upper trunk (in my case I wanted to install brake LED's) you have to watch for the curvature of the trunk surface that mates up to the light... the lights usually have a straight/flat back surface, and the trunk will be slightly curved...it's like you need some kind of gasket to make up for the difference. Just saying- beware... I built my own.

The lights on the I/S trunk are fitted in from the bottom, not the back of the lens housing, there by pretty much eliminating a direct replacement LED bulb. At least I have not been able to find anything that will work, and I have been looking for awhile. I did add an LED flexible strip to the trunk surface, just below the lid joint, tapped into the brake light wire. This only functions as a brake light. I think maybe there are strips out there that will also act as running lights. You could also mount a second strip, adjacent to the first, (below??) wired to the running lights. Installation only requires some good adhesive, a small drill bit and removal/installation of the trunk liner to access the wiring. Not a real hard job. If you go with a commercially produced unit as suggested above, you will need to get someone who knows about circuits, as the lights on the Valk trunk are only stop & running light. There is some good info on this subject over on the VRCC board (vrcc.com) then click on shoptalk. Stan

Don't have an I/S trike, but have an I/S.

This is what I put on mine:

Hyperlites Flashing led motorcycle brake lights, runing lights, and turn signals, Standard Dual Function

I used some aluminum angle and mounted them under the truck using 3M body moulding tape. They have stayed attached with no issues for over 2 years.

I put the tape on both sides of the aluminum angle and stuck them against the lower underside of trunk and against the metal trunk mount that runs crossways.

I tapped into the light in the trunk to power them.

Gives great visibility.

Back