Adjusting front shocks

I need to adjust my front shocks. I recently bought my Stallion and the previous owner was 300+ pounds and he had adjusted the shocks to the top position for the firmest ride. My wife and I are a lot lighter than that and I am having a hard time finding anyone with a shock spanner wrench that I can back the shocks off a couple of notches. It really telegraphs all of the bumps, tar snakes, etc., up to the rest of the trike. I wonder if the Stallion came with a spanner wrench to adjust them with? I have tried a couple of automotive centers and they don't have anything that will work. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Jerry

I couldn't find one either. I tried all the auto parts stores with no luck. I finally uses a pair of channel locks. Not the correct thing to do, but it worked. If someone knows where to find the correct tool, please let us know. Thx Rick

Short & simple? No, the Stallion didn't come with a shock spanner wrench. The shocks were "pre-set" by Progressive and were sent in bulk as a "bolt on and go" product.

That being said, you're wasting your time at auto parts stores looking for a spanner wrench, automotive shocks that use them are quite rare & most parts guys won't even know what you're talking about. Motorcycle shops are where to look (or online searches) as most motorcycles on the road are adjusted with a spanner tool (if you really want one). That being said, channel locks with a rag to protect the shock body from scratching works pretty dang good also and saves cost on buying a "one time use tool".

+1 to Richard's reply. I have a spanner wrench and actually the Channel locks work better. Suggest you drop it down one notch then ride for awhile before thinking of another. By the way the rears are the same shock and same adjustment available.

I also have been telling anyone who wants to listen to put the front shocks down 1 click, 2 at the most and only put 38 psi in the front tire. As far as the rear shocks the same applies for settings and 25 psi for the tires. What ever you do, don't go much lower in the rear. I did and only made it around 2 turns and it felt like we were going to roll over! Putting the shock back up is much harder than lowering. I replaced my shocks (all 4) at 65k and they came set to 2 notches down. I left them there and it rides nice.

Tomg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michigander
Back