An inexpensive & simple LED Tail Light Upgrade!

MDO regarding the Sylvania Zevo bulbs replaced your tail light bulbs with did you have to put a resister in line to prevent hyper flash with the turn signals? Thanks Mark

No Mark, not on Harleys after I believe 2013 or so.

Removing the bulb will give you an error code when you do your next diagnostic test.

Just clear it & it won't return.

LED Blub's are very bright and look good when you see them straight on, but when seeing them on an angle say 45 degrees or so they are dim looking, not bright. I noticed that on a buddy's tail lights when I was following him.

LED Blub's are very bright and look good when you see them straight on, but when seeing them on an angle say 45 degrees or so they are dim looking, not bright. I noticed that on a buddy's tail lights when I was following him.

Regarding your friends lights and that you say look dim at an angle may be caused by the type bulb he put in the housing.

The best type LED would be one that sheds light 360 degrees. Some of the LEDs project a very narrow beam of light causing what you have seen in your friends lights. Many LEDs will state the range in which the light is projected. Just a thought as to why what you observed might be happening.

Reactions: MDO
Michael It's been a few months, did your codes return? Also, do the indicators on the dash hyper flash? That wouldn't really bother me.

No. I said that they are a 1 time code because the system senses the change.

The indicators don't hyper flash because the Can-Bus system adjusts for the change in amperage due to switching to LED's. An older vehicle & you would have to install load balancing resisters.

The Sylvania LED's work great. There are other bulbs available, but this was an easy way to go LED for me.

Thanks, I should have listened to you. I used a different LED because I always think I have a better idea. Just ask my wife. Anyway, I keep getting the "open" code on both sides. The signals flash fine but indicators on dash hyper flash. I did run flashers for about ten minutes, several times. I guess I've tried everything but fresh blinker fluid.

Thanks, I should have listened to you. I used a different LED because I always think I have a better idea. Just ask my wife. Anyway, I keep getting the "open" code on both sides. The signals flash fine but indicators on dash hyper flash. I did run flashers for about ten minutes, several times. I guess I've tried everything but fresh blinker fluid.

Sorry your having problems, but that should not be happening with a 2015 & I only have 1 explanation.

The LED bulbs you have are not CAN Bus compatible.

Not all are & I had contacted Sylvania to verify theirs were. That's another reason I picked them.

Sylvania 3157R

Installed regular, not super brights. I cleared the codes which I may have gotten as I installed one at a time and checked function. Didn't get a chance to ride due to rain in Pa. Still asking has anyone installed a load equalizer.

Installed regular, not super brights. I cleared the codes which I may have gotten as I installed one at a time and checked function. Didn't get a chance to ride due to rain in Pa. Still asking has anyone installed a load equalizer.

Why install a load equalizer. It's not needed.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Headlight

Looking to install a different type led headlight. HD mechanic said he usually has problems with aftermarkets. I really don't cherish thought of giving mock

Approx $400.00 for a headlight that can be taken out by Pa tar and chip roads

Looking to install a different type led headlight. HD mechanic said he usually has problems with aftermarkets. I really don't cherish thought of giving mock

Approx $400.00 for a headlight that can be taken out by Pa tar and chip roads

DK Custom Products, 1of our sponsers, sells an LED replacement headlight bulb that is white & brite.

Led headlight

Thanks I'll check out their site. Although I can think of a lot of pretty chrome i can buy for $400. ***chrome don't get you home--but it looks good when you're pushing it

Can bus DTC

Just chatted w/ j&p cycle about led bulb i purchased last September 2017. Bulb kept giving a fault code. I went back to h4. Rummaging through my shop i came across the led, contacted j&p about their site listing the led as direct fit. They apologized saying it was not can bus compatible and "will REFUND my $90 even after 1 year!!" Researched *'can bus error free bulbs'* and came up with info that most times you will need an equalizer. Operative words MOST TIMES. So before anyone jumps all over me....MOST TIMES

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I researched the Sylvania LED bulbs I chose because not all of them are CAN Bus compatible. If they are, you won't need a load equalizing resister.

It was nice of them to refund your money. You can get a very nice headlight LED replacement bulb in the $60-$75 range. I look for lifetime warrantys. It makes me feel better.:cool:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lavinia

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lavinia
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png