Any way to smooth out a Roadsmith Goldwing trike

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
I have owned this bike since brand new , BUT had it converted three seasons ago to a Roadsmith model............ I love it!

But it does ride very bumpy, and not really smooth, is there a way to adjust the shocks so it will ride smoother???

I HAVE ALREADY LOWERED MY REAR TIRES TO 22 LBS. and that did help a bit...(thx's to those of you giving me that info, earlier)

I only weigh 160 lbs, and 95% of the time I ride single, BUT last week my wife did ride with me and and I could feel every bump, and ripple in the road...

I like a smooth'rrr ride if at all possible..........................Thanks too all your help

Ronnie

Oh it's 2010 Honda Goldwing, with 62,000 (s)miles............ I bought it brand new w/zero miles on the OD

One of the things that helped me was to disable the anti-dive valve. It's really not needed on a trike. I don't know if mine was stuck, which a lot of them do. But the ride is much smoother even when not braking. The shim to disable the ADV only costs a few bucks and is very easily installed in less than 10 minutes. Made a noticeable difference for me. Good luck..... Jim

One of the things that helped me was to disable the anti-dive valve. It's really not needed on a trike. I don't know if mine was stuck, which a lot of them do. But the ride is much smoother even when not braking. The shim to disable the ADV only costs a few bucks and is very easily installed in less than 10 minutes. Made a noticeable difference for me. Good luck..... Jim

Thank you,

I will look, at the anti-dive valve

RoadSmith

I have owned this bike since brand new , BUT had it converted three seasons ago to a Roadsmith model............ I love it!

But it does ride very bumpy, and not really smooth, is there a way to adjust the shocks so it will ride smoother???

I HAVE ALREADY LOWERED MY REAR TIRES TO 22 LBS. and that did help a bit...(thx's to those of you giving me that info, earlier)

I only weigh 160 lbs, and 95% of the time I ride single, BUT last week my wife did ride with me and and I could feel every bump, and ripple in the road...

I like a smooth'rrr ride if at all possible..........................Thanks too all your help

Ronnie

Oh it's 2010 Honda Goldwing, with 62,000 (s)miles............ I bought it brand new w/zero miles on the OD

Ronnie, I had a lot of stuff going on from the front end that made the ride and handling rough at times especially going onto bridges and wash-board roads. I took my trike to Traxion and had the front end trike kit installed which included the AK20 Cartridges. It made all the difference in the world to the ride and handling. Even my co-rider mentioned how smooth the ride was. My 2012 had about 74K on her and 20K is with RoadSmith kit.

Ronnie, I had a lot of stuff going on from the front end that made the ride and handling rough at times especially going onto bridges and wash-board roads. I took my trike to Traxion and had the front end trike kit installed which included the AK20 Cartridges. It made all the difference in the world to the ride and handling. Even my co-rider mentioned how smooth the ride was. My 2012 had about 74K on her and 20K is with RoadSmith kit.

Thank you, I'll lookinto the traxion front end...........

I know that you had your trike converted by our friend in Keene. I would start there. I had a 97 done there and a 17 done at KD Cycles. I know they’re different bikes but the 17 is light years ahead as far as handling. That being said, they are

completely different bikes which probably accounts for the difference in rides. As for the ride, my wife loved both of them. There’s a huge difference when riding alone versus with a passenger. I’m not sure that there’s a lot that you can do other than lowering your expectations while riding double. Roadsmith is one of the best for passengers comfort because of the extra long wheel base. I suggest taking it out for a few more rides with your wife or another passenger and see if you feel the same.

I know that you had your trike converted by our friend in Keene. I would start there. I had a 97 done there and a 17 done at KD Cycles. I know they’re different bikes but the 17 is light years ahead as far as handling. That being said, they are

completely different bikes which probably accounts for the difference in rides. As for the ride, my wife loved both of them. There’s a huge difference when riding alone versus with a passenger. I’m not sure that there’s a lot that you can do other than lowering your expectations while riding double. Roadsmith is one of the best for passengers comfort because of the extra long wheel base. I suggest taking it out for a few more rides with your wife or another passenger and see if you feel the same.

Brian,

I just re-read your post today (1/20/22) Sorry! Yes! keene, did the install, BUT to be truthful with yea, I just don't trust the owner, he has "rip'd me off twice" (Not going to get into that problem on open mike here: evil:) So going back round # 3 is not going to happen..... The trike now is put away for her winter hibernation period, hopeful the March/April riding season will be upon us ALL again................. I'm lucky enough to be able to do 90% of service myself on the engine portion of my wing, and I can still do 45% service on the triked portion.. So I believe I'll be all set.

Ronnie

1/20/22

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky64

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky64
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png