Aux gas tank Ideal

I have seen different tank set ups on other forums. I guess what you want to do is only limited by your imagination. You could even go to a boat dealer and look at some of those small portable tanks.
Happy hunting.

Several years ago I carried an ordinary 1 gal red walmart tank in my saddlebag for "just in case". Never had any problems. One day on a ride with 5 other wings we left the lunch place and were headed to a gas station for refueling but found the station was closed for remodeling. The next nearest station was in Okeechobee, Florida, over 40 miles away. After about 30 miles we pulled over and I shared my gal of gas with the 6 of us. We all got to the gas station ok and most of us took about 6.5 gals. Believe it or not, one or the riders wanted to pass that station and look for cheaper gas down to road.

Several years ago I carried an ordinary 1 gal red walmart tank in my saddlebag for "just in case". Never had any problems. One day on a ride with 5 other wings we left the lunch place and were headed to a gas station for refueling but found the station was closed for remodeling. The next nearest station was in Okeechobee, Florida, over 40 miles away. After about 30 miles we pulled over and I shared my gal of gas with the 6 of us. We all got to the gas station ok and most of us took about 6.5 gals. Believe it or not, one or the riders wanted to pass that station and look for cheaper gas down to road.
I guess you just can't fix stupid, or being cheap.

well I add the tank here is my setup,

IMG_0836.JPG
This is just to show shut off and solenoid valve that is connect to tank
IMG_0828.JPG
The Red port on top is vented outside of trunk just not shown in photo

IMG_0843.JPG
as others of done tapped into fuel sending unit to fill main tank
IMG_0840.JPG
set up a delay timer that can be set up to 999 sec in right fairing pocket
IMG_0842.JPG
Installed push button and indicator light to let me know when valve is open.

Tank holds 4.7 gallons so when indicator light comes on for low fuel I push the blue bottom amber light below comes on to indicate valve is activated. Fuel will dump to main tank and after a preset time it will auto shut off.

After reading this thread I decided to chime in with this.

I have a gl1800 /champion trike. Two years ago I decided to install a aux tank. I purchased a tank and quick disconnect from tour tanks and installed it under my rear seat. I connected the main fuel line to the main tank on the bottom with the quick disconnect. I connected the vent to the top of the main tank at the flat spot at the main fuller. I used the two steel straps to hold the tank to the frame of the bike. Yes it is gravity feed but I found that if you use a large enough gas line it will fill quick enough. Also if you set the gas pump on the slow speed fill it will fill at about the same time. One other thing I found is the rear end will come up and touch the tank so I had a metal patch welded to the back metal strap to keep from touching the tank. Works fine. The tank is three gallons so I get around 300+ miles and is a closed system.

the borg

I have a 2006 GL1800 Champion trike. I now pull a trailer and need an Aux tank. Can you send some pictures? And information on the install?

I guess a trunk mounted tank is OK if you just have to have it.

"Wife Unit" and I are both ready for a leg stretch by at least 150 -180 miles so if I was gonna carry extra gas, it would be either in a 5 - 6 gallon can on a trailer tongue or hitch rack. That would allow at least 350 miles between stations with no permanent mods ... and I speak as one who loves to tinker, add to, etc.

That is a nice looking install of a tank in trunk.

Reminds me of a couple on a cross-country cruise in their '30s hot rod met at Vintage MC Days @ Mid Ohio one year... with a similar looking, likely bigger spun alum tank in their carpeted trunk ahead of luggage ... he had to leave trunk open all night after fixing that hose leak, all their cloths stunk too.

Back in mid '00s, a friend carried gas in what he thought was a sealed can in his trunk, he tossed can in trash and they spent a bit of time at a coin op laundramat.

Just a thought.

California sidecar auxiliary tape

I had a California sidecar auxiliary tank install on my Champion truck. It had to have some modifications but it was done very professionally by Derrek Lee in Shreveport Louisiana.

I added the aux tank option when I built my trike. I did need it on our trip to the west coast pulling a camper. Local riding it is not needed,but I do use it so I keep fresh gas in it. I really like the extra fuel on trips. I can choose to stop when I want and get gas when I want.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png