Battery warning indication

I had to replace my CMS on my 1990 RSV trike as the original quit showing anything. I bought a used unit off of Ebay & everything was fine until about 2 days later. The red warning light started staying on with the battery emblem in the CMU showing but I've always had a maintenance free battery on it ever since we've had the trike & the wire has always been hooked to the accessory 12v side. With the key on, I checked the voltage at the electrical connector going into the rear of the cms on the white w/ red stripe wire, & it shows 12v. I hooked up a 2.2 - 1/4 watt resistor in this wire & the voltage going into the CMS now shows about 3v but the warning light & the battery emblem still shows. Is there a way to disconnect this circuit from the digital info readout & the red light? I want the warning light to work on fuel gauge & everything else but don't want to see the red light on all the time because of the battery low indicator. Guess the used CMS I installed went bad on this part of it's circuit?:gah:

The CMU needs about 5 volts logic level to work properly. The standard mod for this is to use a 1K to 2K ohm resistor to the plus side of the battery. NEVER connect the lead directly to the battery plus, the 12 volt signal blows up the logic chip! Sooo, try a 1K ohm resistor and see of that brings your level closer to 5 volts. A little higher is OK, it just does not like "rail" (supply) voltage for a logic input...

Thanks Bongobobny, but I've already tried 1k & a 2k resistor but w/ no luck. So I just soldered the 2k resistor in line w/ a new wire from the acc + to the CMU so if I ever get the money to buy another CMU I have everything already to install it. Thanks again for ALL your help & have a great day!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffHenk

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffHenk
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png