Best battery charger (trickle charger) for Triglides

I have used Battery Tender Plus for years with no problems. A couple years ago I picked up a Schumacher SP3-CA system in Sturgis and really like it. The one thing I like about it over the PTP is the digital read out. Let's you know what's going on with your battery and condition of the battery.

8~\o

Had a Heritage Soaftail kept on a battery tender every winter,all winter, and battery lasted 10 yrs. Maybe just lucky but I use the same one on the trike.Will report back in 10 yrs ( I hope it lasts that long)

Just saying from a few years of experience riding and having friends in the battery business, I wouldn't be trusting that 10yr old battery. Being that old of a battery it doesn't have the new plate technology and is basically hanging lead plates. These plates sluff off lead residue that in time will build up on the bottom of the battery case and short out the plate....thus killing the battery. Myself I would be expecting to be left stranded real soon. Batteries in motorcycles take a hell of a lot of abuse and vibration. They basically come apart inside.

again, just saying......

which battery tendor did you use ?

- - - Updated - - -

Which battery tendor?

This is I guess is to all of you who replied bthanks
Battery tender jr. I use it on 5 different bikes.

- - - Updated - - -

I have used Battery Tender Plus for years with no problems. A couple years ago I picked up a Schumacher SP3-CA system in Sturgis and really like it. The one thing I like about it over the PTP is the digital read out. Let's you know what's going on with your battery and condition of the battery.

8~\o

Only problem with these they are wired backwards as compared to the battery tender and the HD unit's. Now if that is all you use then it's all good. I have not found plugs seperately so I can use one one all my bikes.

Just adding my 3 cents worth here -

Battery tenders are great chargers, but battery tenders again are charger/maintainers.
They do nothing to condition the batteries.

I've been using Battery Minders for many many years. I had a battery I just replaced out of a 1997 Softail. It was the original battery and lasted 17 years.

Battery Minder does the same as Battery Tender. It chargers and maintains a certain voltage in the battery. What the Battery Minder does in addition is it conditions the battery too. It desulfates the battery as it works.

By keeping the battery desulfated, it obviously lets the battery live a lot longer.

Check it out on the internets:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_batteryminder

interesting. Thanks :Dorag:

- - - Updated - - -

I will be picking up one this weekend. Now, How does one attach the charger to the Trike. Is it pretty self explanatory. Do I have to remove battery or can battery stay on trike? I'm new to this so any and all help is appreciated. :Dorag:

How does one attach the charger to the Trike. Is it pretty self explanatory. Do I have to remove battery or can battery stay on trike? I'm new to this so any and all help is appreciated. :Dorag:

I may have missed what year Trike you have, but I believe all late model Touring bikes as well as Trikes already have an included charging plug behind the right side panel. And I assume that all of the above mentioned trickle charges have a matching plug.

Attachments

• IMGP2601.JPG
    IMGP2601.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 88
I may have missed what year Trike you have, but I believe all late model Touring bikes as well as Trikes already have an included charging plug behind the right side panel. And I assume that all of the above mentioned trickle charges have a matching plug.

thanks for the pic. I will look for that this weekend. My trike is a 2015. :Dorag:

thanks for the pic. I will look for that this weekend. My trike is a 2015. :Dorag:

You are quite Welcome! I like to try to help people and 'pay it forward' whenever I can. And photos paint a much clearer picture than a wall of words. How do you like your new Tri-Glide so far?
I absolutely LOVE mine :pepper:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png