Burning smell - 2014 TriGlide

So I’m riding along and all of a sudden, I can’t accelerate. Feels like the brakes are on and something smells like it’s burning. A friction rubber sort of smell. I pull over and wait a few minutes. Check brakes, no burning smell around any of the wheels. Roll trike back and forth, Rolls easily. Bike starts back up and runs normally. Happened twice now. 500 miles apart. Any idea what could cause bike to feel like brakes are holding it back from accelerating?

Hi Derek, :welcome: to Trike Talk and your first post

More info will help a diagnostic, what year, ABS or not, last time brake fluid was flushed, is your parking brake adjusted correctly

Help us to help you

So I’m riding along and all of a sudden, I can’t accelerate. Feels like the brakes are on and something smells like it’s burning. A friction rubber sort of smell. I pull over and wait a few minutes. Check brakes, no burning smell around any of the wheels. Roll trike back and forth, Rolls easily. Bike starts back up and runs normally. Happened twice now. 500 miles apart. Any idea what could cause bike to feel like brakes are holding it back from accelerating?

Derek Welcome to Trike Talk…👍👍 Just a shot in the dark But ..Check that the drive belt in your Tri-Glide it’s not too loose or if you had it serviced recently maybe the belt is over tight… ?… more information would be helpful. How many miles have you have on that belt.??

Do a stink test of the alternator by opening the derby cover and use your snatch sniffer. Also suspect the regulator rectifier. Do not ride until you perform the tests on those components and eliminate them as a source of the smell. When the RR burns out it smells like a telephone pole transformer that blew out.

Step1: Make sure no external components/ accessories are rubbing/ binding. Step2: remove primary cover and check drive components/ clutch. Step3: test regulator rectifier, stator, battery.

Also check the drive belt for grooves,

I know this from experience depending on the type of roads you travel like gravel or even where there may small limbs or debris from a recent storm.

if the front tire catches it just right it will bounce up between the bottom guard and the belt wearing a groove.

I Had it happen twice and got insurance to pay once.

Made a custom fender skirt to help keep from happening again.

Bob

My 17 will do this from time to time and on mine it is one of the calipers not releasing all the way. I have had both calipers and rotors replaced under warranty. But it did it again, look at the outer edge of the front rotors and see if they have a yellowish tint to them. Then look at the rotors and see if they appear to be blackish. So a couple times a year I pull the calipers and remove the pads then spray the inside of the calipers heavily with brake clean then reinstall the pads, this seems to work for a while then for no reason it will do it again. More than frustrating.

Welcome to the Forum, and sorry you are experiencing this.

If you find it is not the brakes, check to see if it is the engine starting to sump.

Here is a video on the subject-

Kevin

Well I thought maybe it was just a fluke, but today, after another 600 -700 miles it did it again. Of course, whenever my mechanic takes it out for a test ride, everything is fine. I guess eventually whatever the problem is will fail and then we will find out what the problem is. There are no codes and brakes all seem fine. I thank you all for all your replies and if I ever find out the cause I will post it here.

Well I thought maybe it was just a fluke, but today, after another 600 -700 miles it did it again. Of course, whenever my mechanic takes it out for a test ride, everything is fine. I guess eventually whatever the problem is will fail and then we will find out what the problem is. There are no codes and brakes all seem fine. I thank you all for all your replies and if I ever find out the cause I will post it here.

Ask your mechanic if he could check for Sumping …(Oil pump isn’t picking up the oil from the crankcase)….

Ask your mechanic if he could check for Sumping …(Oil pump isn’t picking up the oil from the crankcase)….

This should be done after the long rides, easy to do and will clear up the question of sumping

Before checking for sumping check your engine oil level per your owners manual

Checking for sumping, measure the oil that you drain out of the crank sensor plug, 4-8oz is acceptable range, any more you have had sumping

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png