Carry extra gas?

Well, since I have so much room under the body of the trike, I can't see mounting it externally on a rack or seat. In that set up, at best I could get it slightly higher than the main tank, but way in the back near the trunk. Between gravity and whatever vacuum is generated, I'm not confidant in the flow being sufficient.

But I'm no mechanic, so I really don't know. Mounting the tank would be done regardless. I guess I could try it first, and add a pump later......

I emailed tour tank. They told me running it as a true aux tank will not be a problem as long as the tank is higher then the carb inlet. That could be a problem..... They said my "plan B" should work, but none of their customers have said anything about trying it.

2 more gallons would give me the range (and then some) of similar sized 2 wheelers. Sounding better and better.

Here is another picture of mine. 1.5 gallon aluminum tank inside the tour pack. The pump is switched to the ACC on my dash. The output from the reserve goes into the main tank, so it doesn't matter if it's EFI or carburetor equipped.

Here is another picture of mine. 1.5 gallon aluminum tank inside the tour pack. The pump is switched to the ACC on my dash. The output from the reserve goes into the main tank, so it doesn't matter if it's EFI or carburetor equipped.

How are you physically getting the gas into the main tank? Did you install a fitting on the tank?

Whenever I ride west of the Mississippi I carry a gallon container. It's saved my ass a couple of times. I don't always stick to main roads. If you carry it in a trunk or saddlebag, don't have any clothes in there also.

Thanks for digging that up Joe. Tour tank mentions that method somewhere on their site, but doesn't recommend for or against.

When it comes to recommending carrying gas outside an intended gas tank, most would not one way or the other for the liability issue.

I have discovered a gas issue that really has nothing to do with running out - except it kinda does.
When I put the Frankenstein kit on, the geometry changed. Duh, no big deal. Welllllllllll, the front of the tank is lower than it used to be. And the fuel pickup is in the rear of the tank. 1.8 miles from the station we were heading to, at barely a needle-width under 1/4 tank, she went DRY! I could see gas, I could rock it & slosh gas... but the slosh only moved enough gas back to the pick-up for about 500 feet.
Really frustrating. I hopped on Dan's backseat and we drove the 1.8 miles (grrrr) and filled a 1.5 gallon can - apparently designed for off-roaders - it fit nicely in his saddlebag (Beeemer) - we poured about 3/4 of a gallon in the tank and about 1/2 gallon all over the paint (grrr again) and cruised back to the same station for a fillup.
I have been told there is a little bracket to re-align (raise) the mounting point from the front of the tank to the frame, but haven't had any luck finding one.

This is good info to know, I just got my trike (Frankenstein) and I do not have a gas gauge, (883 Sportster) but I know how far I can go, but maybe not now ! I will look for the bracket,, and let you know if I find it..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png