Changing My Hand Grips

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Club Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Noticed today that my throttle side factory grip on my 2021 Freewheeler was peeling apart. Thought maybe it was dirt or grime or something, but the more I fooled with it the more of the rubber came off. Not a good look. Ordered HD Kahuna grips. Any tips on installation I should be aware of?

1.png

Noticed today that my throttle side factory grip on my 2021 Freewheeler was peeling apart. Thought maybe it was dirt or grime or something, but the more I fooled with it the more of the rubber came off. Not a good look. Ordered HD Kahuna grips. Any tips on installation I should be aware of?

View attachment 114770

The only advice I can give you is be very careful of the switches on bars there’s lot of horror stories of how delicate they are, . Also, if the grips are thicker than the stock grips , you might not be able to get the clutch close enough to the handlebars to get it to start in gear..

So I'm looking at the directions HD supplies with the grips. For the throttle side grip it says: "Remove and install the switch housings and the right side grip (throttle twist grip). See service manual."

OK, I recently bought the 2021 workshop service manual let's see what that says. "Remove grip using the appropriate procedure. See the service manual."

About the only thing I've gleaned of interest so far is the directions do say:

"Do not remove or install the master cylinder assembly without first positioning a 5/32-inch (4 mm) thick insert between the brake lever and lever bracket. Removing or installing the master cylinder assembly without the insert in place may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger on the front stoplight switch"

Sure am glad I spent all that money for manuals just to be told to look it up in the manual.

So I'm looking at the directions HD supplies with the grips. For the throttle side grip it says: "Remove and install the switch housings and the right side grip (throttle twist grip). See service manual."

OK, I recently bought the 2021 workshop service manual let's see what that says. "Remove grip using the appropriate procedure. See the service manual."

"Do not remove or install the master cylinder assembly without first positioning a 5/32-inch (4 mm) thick insert between the brake lever and lever bracket. Removing or installing the master cylinder assembly without the insert in place may result in damage to the rubber boot and plunger on the front stoplight switch"

Sure am glad I spent all that money for manuals just to be told to look it up in the manual.

That’s like In old days….When you get stuck on the spelling of a word…And someone says look it up in the dictionary…😳..?

I did my 15 and 17 Freewheelers without any problems, on the 15 I put the shim in the brake perch, on the 17 I did not

The instructions on the RS are vague at best, if you go slow and double check your work you will be fine, test the snap back on the throttle before starting the engine, not enough end play on the grip will cause the throttle to stick, too much play the grip will lose contact with the gear on the actuator

View attachment 114770

I love those JT ... beautiful and they will look great on your trike. When I got mine it came with a nice set of Kuryakyn ISO Grips with Throttle Assist from the "Precision" collection. I kinda ran with the matching "Precision" accoutrements. Just sayin ... The Kahuna Collection starts with those killer new grips. :)

Question on this hand grips swap. Looking at the way the grips are mounted and the parts diagrams why do I need to fool with the brake and clutch lever assemblies at all? They're separate from the switch housings which is what I need to open up to swap the grips. I'm not seeing a need to fool with anything else.

Question on this hand grips swap. Looking at the way the grips are mounted and the parts diagrams why do I need to fool with the brake and clutch lever assemblies at all? They're separate from the switch housings which is what I need to open up to swap the grips. I'm not seeing a need to fool with anything else.

You really dont have to worry about the switches, it is HD way of doing things from years gone by

I changed my 15 and 17 without any problems

Got my hand grips on! The throttle side that I was worried about was easier than the clutch side. On the left grip they neglect to tell you that the function button on the housing has to be removed and there's no mention of how to do that. I learned it can be pried off with a small flat screwdriver, then the housing halves can come apart. Anyhow, after checking to make sure everything was working right I buttoned it back up and then realized that the right side (throttle) grip emblem is UPSIDE DOWN! I've already got an email into to HD about it.

IMG_20230921_095152294.jpg

Got my hand grips on! The throttle side that I was worried about was easier than the clutch side. On the left grip they neglect to tell you that the function button on the housing has to be removed and there's no mention of how to do that. I learned it can be pried off with a small flat screwdriver, then the housing halves can come apart. Anyhow, after checking to make sure everything was working right I buttoned it back up and then realized that the right side (throttle) grip emblem is UPSIDE DOWN! I've already got an email into to HD about it.

View attachment 114854

Is the clutch side grip the same??

View attachment 114854

Looks good, the trigger button had to be removed? I did not have to on my 2 freewheelers

HMMMM, glad it worked out for you, I bet the new grips are more comfortable and easier on the hands

They're nice. A different feel than the original grips. Honestly, I wouldn't have bought them if my original grip hadn't started to de-laminate, but after $120 for the new ones I'm disappointed HD couldn't even get it's own logo oriented right.

IMG_20230921_124301022.jpg

Ok, when I'm wrong I'm wrong, but a little bit of help from the instructions would have been nice. I tore it all apart again and the grip logo is oriented properly now. It was 180[FONT=Liberation Serif, serif]° [/FONT]out of rotation. I didn't even know you could do that. Would have been nice if the instructions weren't just generic and were actually for the grips I bought. They look good, feel good and I'm hoping they last longer than the originals. Life goes on.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png