Cold Engine Revs High When Starting

Vin

30+ Posts
Apr 5, 2018
New Port Richey, Fl USA
I have a 2022 Harley Tri Glide with the 114 engine. Since I bought it new in December 2022 it revs up to 2800 RPM immediately upon starting. It is totally stock. Dealer says they all do it and they can't make any changes to the computer to change it.

Was told the other ones on the floor at the time did it also. If colder outside it can rev up to 3000 RPM when cold. I live in Central Florida so it doesn't get that cold too often and the trike is garaged. My 2018 Ultra Classic with 107 stock engine does not rev near that high on cold start up.

Has anybody else dealt with this issue? Guess I worry too much. I did buy the extended warranty. But a high RPM start when all the oil is at the bottom just bugs me. Thanks for any reply.

I have a 2022 Harley Tri Glide with the 114 engine. Since I bought it new in December 2022 it revs up to 2800 RPM immediately upon starting. It is totally stock. Dealer says they all do it and they can't make any changes to the computer to change it. Was told the other ones on the floor at the time did it also. If colder outside it can rev up to 3000 RPM when cold. I live in Central Florida so it doesn't get that cold too often and the trike is garaged. My 2018 Ultra Classic with 107 stock engine does not rev near that high on cold start up. Has anybody else dealt with this issue? Guess I worry too much. I did buy the extended warranty. But a high RPM start when all the oil is at the bottom just bugs me. Thanks for any reply.

Vin......................................

My 2019......When starting will rev to about 25 hundred .....Then immediately drop to about 9 hundred..Nature of the Beast....

My 2022 Tri Glide also revs to almost 3,000 RPM when cold starting (the RPM comes back down quickly), the mechanic at the dealer service dept said they cannot change it.

Other than being a bit annoying, I don`t think it is harmful.

Once the machine is out of warranty, I will probably do a cam change and tuner, maybe a good dyno tech can get into the electrons and make an adjustment.

My 2022 Tri Glide also revs to almost 3,000 RPM when cold starting (the RPM comes back down quickly), the mechanic at the dealer service dept said they cannot change it.

Once the machine is out of warranty, I will probably do a cam change and tuner, maybe a good dyno tech can get into the electrons and make an adjustment.

Turn the ignition switch on and off 4 times to reset the throttle memory

My 2019 did that. I messed around with it for a while and then I manually closed the throttle all the way and then turned it off, that took care of it. Apparently the last time I shut it down it had not idled down before I shut it off so when I turned it back on it stayed the idle it was at when it was shut off. By manually closing the throttle all the way and then turning it off seem to fix it. Don't know if that's your problem but that's what happened to me.

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try. I had tried different combinations of kill switch/ ignition switch on/off when I 1st got the trike that the dealer told me to do but no avail. They also said they can't access certain settings. Vin.

My 2019 did that. I messed around with it for a while and then I manually closed the throttle all the way and then turned it off, that took care of it. Apparently the last time I shut it down it had not idled down before I shut it off so when I turned it back on it stayed the idle it was at when it was shut off. By manually closing the throttle all the way and then turning it off seem to fix it. Don't know if that's your problem but that's what happened to me.

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by manually closing the throttle? How? Vin

I agree with you Jack, worked on my2019. With all the rain here in Indiana I haven’t rode for awhile. When I started it did rev high, but came back down. Kinda like the cold start on the old MM fuel injection

I have a 2022 Harley Tri Glide with the 114 engine. Since I bought it new in December 2022 it revs up to 2800 RPM immediately upon starting. It is totally stock. Dealer says they all do it and they can't make any changes to the computer to change it.

Was told the other ones on the floor at the time did it also. If colder outside it can rev up to 3000 RPM when cold. I live in Central Florida so it doesn't get that cold too often and the trike is garaged. My 2018 Ultra Classic with 107 stock engine does not rev near that high on cold start up.

Has anybody else dealt with this issue? Guess I worry too much. I did buy the extended warranty. But a high RPM start when all the oil is at the bottom just bugs me. Thanks for any reply.
Check the Stickies, the info is there that has served me well

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png