Cripple Mode

If you can run your engine til oil temp is is normal, shut engine down, pull crank sensor out, let the oil drain out. Replace sensor, measure the oil that came out

If more than 6 oz, you are sumping, if less than 6 you are within the HD range for oil in the crank case

Doing this test will rule out the sumping as the problem

Next test, I would disconnect the wiring @ the throttle actuator, clean the pins with contact cleaner, reassemble with light coat of dilectric grease. Does this make engine come out of limp mode?

I think it's electrical somewhere. I've seen a lot of posts elsewhere about this. Couple of people were killed when it happened and reports have been filled with the NHTSA. I could have been killed back in August when I was passing two tractor trailers. Today was just pulling out of my driveway. I prefer there not be a third time. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Going to be out of commission most of next week so might's well see if they can do anything productive with it.

Was going to take it to the dealership today, but the service tech said don't bother. Said, this has been going on for 15 years and it could be any of 5 major sensors and replacing all them may not fix the issue. He did recognize the codes as historic, but they don't help with their diagnostics. Has to be current.

Told me the only way they can get a real take on the problem is wait till it happens again and don't restart the bike, then get it to them. (Hope it happens in my driveway again.) Basically, when it becomes a constant problem and not intermittent they can probably pinpoint the source.

One thing I do notice is that when it happened back in August it was upper 60's and damp in the early morning. Yesterday when it happened to me it was about 60 and damp. Since then it's been mid 60's and dry and it's been running great. Leads me to believe dampness is getting to a connector somewhere. Thoughts?

Was going to take it to the dealership today, but the service tech said don't bother. Said, this has been going on for 15 years and it could be any of 5 major sensors and replacing all them may not fix the issue. He did recognize the codes as historic, but they don't help with their diagnostics. Has to be current. Told me the only way they can get a real take on the problem is wait till it happens again and don't restart the bike, then get it to them. (Hope it happens in my driveway again.) Basically, when it becomes a constant problem and not intermittent they can probably pinpoint the source. One thing I do notice is that when it happened back in August it was upper 60's and damp in the early morning. Yesterday when it happened to me it was about 60 and damp. Since then it's been mid 60's and dry and it's been running great. Leads me to believe dampness is getting to a connector somewhere. Thoughts?

Yes it could be for sure

You could, tho tedious unplug sensors, clean the terminals ( male and female) then reinstall them, then test ride in similar weather conditions

I would start with the ECM

Large

Yes it could be for sure

You could, tho tedious unplug sensors, clean the terminals ( male and female) then reinstall them, then test ride in similar weather conditions

I would start with the ECM

I got this from my dealership for my spark plug boots.

1.jpg

Information on the web on how and where to use it are all over the place. I see vids of guys filling connectors with it and then putting them back together and other's applying it with a Q-Tip painstakingly avoiding getting any on the connections. The instructions on the tube from Harley just say to clean the connections and "... apply Electrical Contact Lubricant to both male and female terminals. Assemble connectors." Should I be doing this on the ECM terminals? Is it good to do this for the other terminals or is it a waste of time, or worse, going to cause more problems?

I got this from my dealership for my spark plug boots.

View attachment 115677

Information on the web on how and where to use it are all over the place. I see vids of guys filling connectors with it and then putting them back together and other's applying it with a Q-Tip painstakingly avoiding getting any on the connections. The instructions on the tube from Harley just say to clean the connections and "... apply Electrical Contact Lubricant to both male and female terminals. Assemble connectors." Should I be doing this on the ECM terminals? Is it good to do this for the other terminals or is it a waste of time, or worse, going to cause more problems?

Just a light dab on the pins is all you need, on the plastic part that locks the connector I put some on also, it makes taking them apart next time a bit easier

Too much on any connector is a bad thing, I have seen light bulbs in sockets with too much dielectric grease it actually made a connection worse

I find putting the grease on the male ends is enough, as you reconnect the grease is distributed pretty good to the female connector- put some on the rubber gasket ( weatherpak connectors) it helps seal them

Typical weather pak gasket on a duetch connector

1010-016-0406.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png