Cripple Mode

John , I had an issue with my 12 . The throttle would excelerate on its own for a second or two when cruising. Turned out to be the DBW department. Modern technology will hurt ya .

I’ve had a few abnormally’s Pop up on Harleys and I have learned to just turn the key off turn the key back on and if everything runs normal “Forgetaboutit” and just ride on and don’t get the urge to monkey with anything ..…

I would take it get on the highway early morning late night no traffic & try to make it do the same thing, stay in the right lane. Have a cell phone in case it dont start. If it was mine I would never trust it till I found out WHY.

I would take it get on the highway early morning late night no traffic & try to make it do the same thing, stay in the right lane. have a cell phone in case it dont start. If it was mine I would never trust it till I found out WHY.

I like this idea, with a cell phone you could take pictures of the trouble codes for future reference also

One thing I have noted with the M8 engines, they tend to take a couple minutes to idle down after long hi way miles, at least my 17 and now my 21 does this, I am not a big fan of TBW or all the electronics on these trikes

I am glad you did not get hit from behind during this incident, and hopefully it was a one time glitch

Thanks. Nothings happened since, but I'll be at the dealership Monday discussing it with them.

Harley shop said there's nothing they can do without the codes. They didn't have a procedure to check the ECM itself for faults either. They suggested perhaps vibration at high speed on that stretch of road might have rattled an electrical connector somewhere. Didn't find anything loose when I checked and nothing has happened since, but it's the best I've got to go on for now. Is there a way to let Harley Corporate know about this? Just so it's on record in case other reports show up in the future.

Harley shop said there's nothing they can do without the codes. They didn't have a procedure to check the ECM itself for faults either. They suggested perhaps vibration at high speed on that stretch of road might have rattled an electrical connector somewhere. Didn't find anything loose when I checked and nothing has happened since, but it's the best I've got to go on for now. Is there a way to let Harley Corporate know about this? Just so it's on record in case other reports show up in the future.

If they wrote up a worksheet when you pull in the shop with a mileage, Vin# and time in W’mileage and time out W’milage , and gave you a copy of it when you left, that’s all you need for Harley corporate records..And yours… And All Harley Dealers have to Honor it..

You can try to contact customer service@[FONT=&quot]To speak with a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Harley-Davidson[/FONT][FONT=&quot] customer care representative please call [/FONT][FONT=&quot]800-258-2464 or 414-343-405[/FONT]

I would take it get on the highway early morning late night no traffic & try to make it do the same thing, stay in the right lane. have a cell phone in case it dont start. If it was mine I would never trust it till I found out WHY.

Did run it up to 90 the other day and nothing unusual happened. I think I'm going with the vibration theory on the particular stretch of road I was on at the time. Other than that I got nothin.

If he was passing a tractor trailer at over 90 miles an hour in the rain then it was probably a sign from God to slow down 😉😉.

God's already given me two warnings. One when I walked away unscathed after running my 1700cc Triumph Storm into a telephone pole. The second when I dropped a Triumph Speedmaster into a farm field at 60 mph and got up untouched. Gotta figure He was saying "Get a third wheel and stop riding Triumphs." I listen to what He says.

About 7 AM on I-64 headed to I-81 and TN. Passing a couple semis at 80 when I bumped it up to 90 to clear the last truck. Suddenly my '21 Freewheeler decided to quit running. No shoulder to my left and 2 semi's to my right. Couldn't accelerate and the dash lit up like it had shut off, but it was still running at a high RPM. The two trucks passed and I got to the right shoulder. Checked the diagnostic codes and one referenced the ECM and the other referenced the ABS. I wasn't in a position to right the codes down. Restarted and the trike ran normally for the last 300 miles. Seems I was in "cripple mode" for some reason. About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had the brake switch recall done. Could there be a connection with this and my rather disconcerting problem?

Just a thought from far left field… your ECM code… many modern processors come with a throttle mode built in. This happens to many laptops and desktops. If the processor gets too hot it will throttle on its own. You’re going fast, the engine gets very hot and if on a hot day I’m wondering if this may have been what happened. While many folks cool the jugs no one things of cooling the ECM.

Just a thought from far left field… your ECM code… many modern processors come with a throttle mode built in. This happens to many laptops and desktops. If the processor gets too hot it will throttle on its own. You’re going fast, the engine gets very hot and if on a hot day I’m wondering if this may have been what happened. While many folks cool the jugs no one things of cooling the ECM.

Thanks. It was 7 or 7:30AM with temp in the upper 60's, low 70's. Leather jacket and gloves in the mountains. It was chilly.

My last post about this was in August. Haven't had a minutes worth of trouble with it since, until this morning. Temps went above 50 so I was going to ride to my various errands. Pulled out of my driveway and went into limp mode. This time I made a note of the error codes:

ECM - P1511h & P2135h also ABS - C1100h.

The trike had been parked for the last week with the battery tender hooked up due to nasty weather. Had no issues when I parked it. I mean like what the hell happened just sitting in the garage?

JT, those codes are both related to the throttle response, your trike has gone into limp mode again

I hate to say this but you may need deeper diagnostic from the dealer on this

The P2135 H is a historic code, it will keep coming back until the condition is resolved, Good luck and keep us posted here, this problem is getting more familiar as more miles are racked up

A long shot, your M8 may be sumping, I hope this is not the case

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png