Cruising RPM Ranges

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Club Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
What is considered easier on the motor of a '21 Freewheeler at a cruising speed of 55 mph, for example. 4th gear at 3200 RPM or 5th gear at 2800 RPM? Any advantage in wear, temperature, or gas efficiency?

What is considered easier on the motor of a '21 Freewheeler at a cruising speed of 55 mph, for example. 4th gear at 3200 RPM or 5th gear at 2800 RPM? Any advantage in wear, temperature, or gas efficiency?

With my 2019 Tri at 55 mph 5th gear 22/25 Rpm’s….6th 3000+…

JT, I am surprised at HD and their suggested shift points with the M8

The manual gives the shifting in MPH now, no longer an RPM point

Is this due to better fuel delivery and real time knock sensors, I dunno

Next ride do your shifting according to the manual and look at your tach, I think you might be surprised

JT, I am surprised at HD and their suggested shift points with the M8

The manual gives the shifting in MPH now, no longer an RPM point Is this due to better fuel delivery and real time knock sensors, I dunno Next ride do your shifting according to the manual and look at your tach, I think you might be surprised

I ignored those ridiculous shift recommendations right off the bat. Talk about lugging your motor. 55 mph in 6th gear? Really? I don't do 6th gear unless I'm cruising over 70. I was just wondering if the higher rpm's of the lower gear had any advantage over the lower rpm's of the next higher gear. I do know that in traffic situations at speed I stay with the lower gear and higher rpm's in case I have to do something quickly. Like get out of the way of some idiot with his/her head up their rear end.

I ignored those ridiculous shift recommendations right off the bat. Talk about lugging your motor. 55 mph in 6th gear? Really? I don't do 6th gear unless I'm cruising over 70. I was just wondering if the higher rpm's of the lower gear had any advantage over the lower rpm's of the next higher gear. I do know that in traffic situations at speed I stay with the lower gear and higher rpm's in case I have to do something quickly. Like get out of the way of some idiot with his/her head up their rear end.

Solid plan, I pretty much do the same

I want to use the power when I need it in traffic for sure

I am right there with you. 55 - almost always in 5th gear. Even sometimes, I may be in 4th. As others have said, 6th gear is really for cruising.

I must be missing something. I have a stock 2019 Triglide with a 114 engine. I just went out pick up lunch for my granddaughters. My wife and I and I start to look at the gauges. I normally just shift by ear ‘So As I’m going to the center of town looking down at the speedometer and tachometer Going 35 miles an hour in fourth gear on level ground at 2200 RPMs and if I snap the throttle open it will kick me back so I can honestly say there’s is enough power once I go over 2200 RPMs to get myself out of trouble ..

I must be missing something. I have a stock 2019 Triglide with a 114 engine. I just went out pick up lunch for my granddaughters. My wife and I and I start to look at the gauges. I normally just shift by ear ‘So As I’m going to the center of town looking down at the speedometer and tachometer Going 35 miles an hour in fourth gear on level ground at 2200 RPMs and if I snap the throttle open it will kick me back so I can honestly say there’s is enough power once I go over 2200 RPMs to get myself out of trouble ..

Hey - you have to "ride your own". For me, 35 in 4th gear is a no go.

Shifting nonsense from H-D.

Agreed. Riding for 60 years, always shift with the sound of the motor rather than speed or RPMs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png