DK Customs remote oil filter kit installed

gfaltersack

50+ Posts
May 23, 2018
forestville wisconsin usa
Since 2008 I have performed 88 oil changes on 10 twin cams I owned and 2 Milwaukee 8's always with pools of oil both large and medium no matter what I tried to do to eliminate when taking off the oil filter. Buying Harley's drip tray with drain hose I thought problem was over. The answer was NOPE no matter how diligent I was to position the tray. DK Customs remote filter install was well directed by written instructions and Utube. Now I have another problem. I'm in northern Wisconsin and waiting for warm weather to put on enough miles to perform my first oil change with the remote filter!!

In other years we had to spend "lots of money" and lots of time at Harley dealers waiting for an oil change when we went across the USA. My plan now is to place an aluminum roaster as drip tray in our tour pack along with oil filter, funnel, and plug wrench. When needed stop at Autozone or whatever, pick up my Mobil 1 20-50 V-twin oil, change oil, place drain oil in 1 gal jug and return to Autozone or any parts place that sells my oil and takes the drain oil.

I also ask those reading with similar interstate needs how they change their oil while "on the road"? Currently happy on a 2015 Triglide after the 2017 and 2020 M-8 with a long story of problems.

I have done many oil changes in motel parking lots all over the USA and Canada.

I pick up an aluminum pan at a local grocery store...couple bucks...ONLY if the local parts store does not have a drain pan they will loan me...about 50% of the time they do have one to lend.

Drain the oil, dump it from the pan back into the bottles the new oil came out of and return them to the auto parts store.

Clean my permanent performance oil filter, and I'm good to go another 4k-5K miles.

Hope if warms up for you soon! I believe you will be well pleased with the oil filter relo...makes things so much easier!

Thank you for your business, we appreciate it.

Kevin

Since 2008 I have performed 88 oil changes on 10 twin cams I owned and 2 Milwaukee 8's always with pools of oil both large and medium no matter what I tried to do to eliminate when taking off the oil filter. Buying Harley's drip tray with drain hose I thought problem was over. The answer was NOPE no matter how diligent I was to position the tray. DK Customs remote filter install was well directed by written instructions and Utube. Now I have another problem. I'm in northern Wisconsin and waiting for warm weather to put on enough miles to perform my first oil change with the remote filter!!

In other years we had to spend "lots of money" and lots of time at Harley dealers waiting for an oil change when we went across the USA. My plan now is to place an aluminum roaster as drip tray in our tour pack along with oil filter, funnel, and plug wrench. When needed stop at Autozone or whatever, pick up my Mobil 1 20-50 V-twin oil, change oil, place drain oil in 1 gal jug and return to Autozone or any parts place that sells my oil and takes the drain oil.

I also ask those reading with similar interstate needs how they change their oil while "on the road"? Currently happy on a 2015 Triglide after the 2017 and 2020 M-8 with a long story of problems.
I see a lot of people buy stupid stuff for thire machines but they should focus on two essentials: breather bypass and remote oil filter. Can't help much about oil changes on the road. Never worried about....it's not like the motor is going to blow up at the 5001 mark. For military retirees most military installations have "hobby shops" ( first come first serve)where you can work on your pov . They have a tool room,lifts p.o.l. etc all at minimal cost. Usually run by retired motorpool warrant officers. That's were I would go to service my bike while traveling.*( services vary by post check with headquarters/headquarters company or post Staff Duty OIC)

For 10 years out of my 14 years of retired life we traveled full time in RVs all over the country so I always had my tools and oil changing stuff with me. This year (no more RVing) we will only make one run out west and one run up into the mountains. One trip will be around 3,000 miles and one about 1,800 miles. I don't think I'll never have the need to change oil on the road. My preference would be to change it early or late by 1,000 miles before dragging any extra stuff with me for that purpose. Already overloaded traveling 2-up anyway.

I would certainly give DK's filter relocation kit 5 stars though, no matter where or when you are changing your oil.

Have a question, I recently purchased a 2024 HD Tri Glide and am very interested in DK Customs oil filter relocation kit. My question is if I purchase and install it will it void my HD warranty? Thank you, Tom

Have a question, I recently purchased a 2024 HD Tri Glide and am very interested in DK Customs oil filter relocation kit. My question is if I purchase and install it will it void my HD warranty? Thank you, Tom

When I had my 2017 Triglide with the 107 engine I had sumping problems twice and had to replace motors twice under warranty. When asking about the remote filter my service manager said it would void warranty. My impression was that Harley was having enough problems figuring out and solving the sumping problem that the remote filter (in their mind would be too much extra to worry about) Again, that was my impression. I wanted to get far away from the 107 so after two engines I traded for a 2020 Triglide with the 114. When asking about the remote filter my service manager again said it would void the warranty. Those are my experiences at only one Harley dealer and does anybody have any dealer accepting the remote filter under warranty??

This would be my opinion on it. If you had an engine issue and was taking it to a dealer for warranty repair then simply remove it and put a fresh filter back on the original place. It would be a little work switching it out but if you originally installed it yourself then you can easily un-install it. Most dealers would probably ignore it but if a Harley warranty is paying for a new engine or an engine rebuild then they will be coming to the dealer and looking it over, so it isn't entirely up to your dealer.

This would be my opinion on it. If you had an engine issue and was taking it to a dealer for warranty repair then simply remove it and put a fresh filter back on the original place. It would be a little work switching it out but if you originally installed it yourself then you can easily un-install it. Most dealers would probably ignore it but if a Harley warranty is paying for a new engine or an engine rebuild then they will be coming to the dealer and looking it over, so it isn't entirely up to your dealer.

That is a very good suggestion and answer to the warranty issue

Of course the Dealer would have to prove that the remote oil filter caused the problem. But they can deny anything and now you have to fight them. I put the DK oil filter relocation kit on my Freewheeler and also installed the A1 Cycles oil pressure quage. No difference in oil pressure at start up ,idle, or highway. BTW my shoveled has been running a remote oil filter ( Easyriders article)and Lockhart oil cooler since '76. Engine hasn't blown up yet.

Harley got spanked pretty hard by the FTC for saying xyz parts void the warranty. See the video below.

The oil filter relo does not void the warranty, HOWEVER, there are still a lot of Dealerships out there saying all kinds things that are in violation of the law. Why waste time even dealing with them? If I had to take mine in for warranty work, I would do as ISP-FL outlined.

[video=youtube;M-QdwkZ3_RQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-QdwkZ3_RQ[/video]

Kevin

Love the DK remote oil filter kit. I didn't like the hose that came with it so upgraded to braided. Might have been a mistake because after checking it out at the end on the season I found the braid fraying in one spot. Added a length of wire harness tubing over it. Also added it to the section exposed at the filter housing.

Attachments

• oil line1.jpg
    oil line1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 9
  • oil line2.jpg
    oil line2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 9
  • oil line 3.jpg
    oil line 3.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 9

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammybo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png