doing the conversion myself, suggestions welcome

Feb 25, 2013
casper,wy. usa
pepper

The champion conversion kit and raked tripple trees been ordered for my 1989 tour glide ultra and i am so committed now!
Lets pray that in six weeks time when the kit arrives that God is in his heaven and the planets alighn to make this conversion as seamless as possible.

I am doing the conversion myself and i am not as young as i once was.
so any one with some good tips to keep me from making the ordinary run of the mill and garden variety dumb first timer mistakes, please feel free to educate this country boy before someone need call me a whaaaaa-mbulance?

Suggestions for work smarter not harder tools would also be appreciated!

When I did my Frankenstein conversion on my 91 Tourglide, the majority of the work was changing the front triple tree. Rear end went pretty easy, but I did have to move battery under the seat.

Paul,
The Champion solid axle kit is one of the most straightforward and easiest kits to install, period. Their install instruction manual is thorough and has lots of pictures, stuff us male humans need and like! My best advice is to 1) Take two Extra Strength Aleve first thing every morning especially if you dont have access to a lift. 2) Call Zook if you have any questions. 3) Have an extra set of hands close by. 4) Get a tube of blue Loctite and some cold beer! :D

I did my 07 with a Champion Straight axle and triple trees. Just take your time. You might want to go to the Champion web site and down load the install instructions. That will give you time to read them over a lot to be ready. I put mine together in just a couple of days not counting the painting. It really is NOT rocket science.

I did my 07 with a Champion Straight axle and triple trees. Just take your time. You might want to go to the Champion web site and down load the install instructions. That will give you time to read them over a lot to be ready. I put mine together in just a couple of days not counting the painting. It really is NOT rocket science.
thanks for the vote of confidence. The project dosen't really scare me but its good to hear from one who has done it.
I went over had a look at your photos, your bike will appear pretty close to what my old tour glide will become. I dont have a bike lift but i do have an overhead lift.
Did you have any trouble changing out the tripple trees?
Thanks;
Paul

And so the conversion begins!

ThumbUp
I got started on my trike conversion today. I got the gas tank, upper and lower fairing off as well as opened up the instument panel.
I got tired and had to quit.
The oxygen hose in my nose is constantly frustrating as it is in the way.
I don't know how many times i tore it off my face accentally, hurts every time too.
Yes, i barked up my hands and bleed all over but i'm started!
I dont know how to post pictures of my progress!
Paul

Re: And so the conversion begins!

ThumbUp
I got started on my trike conversion today. I got the gas tank, upper and lower fairing off as well as opened up the instument panel.
I got tired and had to quit.
The oxygen hose in my nose is constantly frustrating as it is in the way.
I don't know how many times i tore it off my face accentally, hurts every time too.
Yes, i barked up my hands and bleed all over but i'm started!
I dont know how to post pictures of my progress!
Paul

I am still wondering why you pulled the tank:Shrug:???? As far as posting pics-the easy way is to hit the black paperclip icon, and then "browse" your saved pics on your PC---Open them and hit upload.
P.S. You don't have to pull the motor or tranny to install the Champion kit......he...heee .hee!pepper

I am still wondering why you pulled the tank:Shrug:???? As far as posting pics-the easy way is to hit the black paperclip icon, and then "browse" your saved pics on your PC---Open them and hit upload.
P.S. You don't have to pull the motor or tranny to install the Champion kit......he...heee .hee!pepper
I will have to check out te paper clip i guess.
On my profile page it won't let me open any more albums or upload more pictures.

I pulled the tank to keep my clumsy self from scratching it.
Also the champion kit comes with a bracket to beef up the top motor mount ( so says the instructions i read on the champion site) and was going to have to pull it anyway?

Don't even joke about pulling the engine and tranny on a bike as old as mine, I came damn close to it replacing the front drive pully and belt in feb.
Paul

But you do have to remove what he did to put the raked triple trees on,,,,at least I hope that's what you were doing lol. Just take your time and don't over do it and know when to walk away for awhile. If you need help there are plenty of people om here that enjoy helping other riders in need. Good luck.
Good advice

Here is a link to show where im at.
I havent figured out how to display th pictures in the order i want them.

pcombe's Library | Photobucket

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png