Drive Belt Problem!

98-100k for a belt??? What the hell am I doing wrong that the best I ever got was 60,000 miles on any belt. Last one 32k. Over a year old so dealer said not covered. I've never done a wheelie, so not sure why wearing them so fast. My 2-wheeler goes same miles before replacing belt.

Maybe cause your a mad man/clown :qpnmt: Had to get that one in there šŸ˜‚

60k is about the limit, you could push it (you will if it ****s the bed) my flh gets 50k then I will consider replacing. Think the manual recommends 50k :Shrug:

I hesitate to even post this...I don't want to jinx myself. :laugh: But since I don't believe in jinxes...I don't think...

I have gone well in excess of 60k miles on quite a few post 2000 HD's and never had a belt issue.

I went over 110k miles with no problems.

Never had to replace one. And I do a lot of burn-outs, wheelies and hard starts.

Kevin

Latest Update.

Yesterday the local HD dealer sent my insurance company the estimate for the belt replacement. The parts come to $402.11, labor is 12 hours @$85.00 for $1,020.00, shop supplies $25.00 and tax of $36.63. This comes out to a total of $1,483.74. Now State Farm more or less defers to the local dealers on motorcycle claims and repairs. They do not send an adjuster to even look it over. Now granted in this case there is not much to look over. However State Farm requested pictures showing the bike, the tag, the VIN and the damage. The local HD shop, that is doing this repair, says they do not take and send pictures to insurance companies. They want an adjuster from the insurance companies to come and take pictures. State Farm says there claims adjusters don't do motorcycles, just cars, trucks etc. That is the reason they just defer to whatever the HD dealer says is needed for repair. So, I am just going to send them some pictures of the bike from both sides, the VIN label and a couple of the belt. I think that will suffice. Is this "no picture" rule common among HD dealers? Anyway, I am having trouble with my L4-L5 lower back compression and am taking it easy for a week or two, so I am not in a huge hurry to get it back. It will be hot here before long though. In 1963 I bought a new black Honda 150 street bike for around $700.00. It was the new to the U.S. market model and had a good bit of chrome and the square shock housings etc. Now I am having a drive belt replaced that cost more than twice that amount! Oh well, I guess I am just happy I am still alive and fairly healthy!

About a year or so ago I managed to get a stick off a tree wedged between the rear carrier and the belt, ended up in the same predicament as you have. Road hazard saved me from a HUGE bill!!

Back