Driver Backrest Ideas

Nov 25, 2012
New Market MD
Looking to put a driver backrest on my 2020 triglide. So many damn choices from HD and they all look about the same. Cost is also similar. I had an HD on my old 2010 that the original owner put on and I have no idea what model, but it was comfortable. Sorry I didnt think to take it off before I sold it.

Anyone out there have any that they have used and recommend?

Believe I still have mine that was on my 2010 Tri and the adjustable cable handle.

If you think it will fit the 2020 PM me and we can go from there :D

I have an old HD design on my TG. Picked it up on ebay.

On my Softail I have a Grasshopper brand backrest. It is super comfortable. I may go with one of those on my TG soon...my existing one was bought used, but in good condition, but I've put over 100K miles on it and it is getting pretty ragged.

Kevin

I have a Mustang back rest. I bought it because it was the only one I found that would lay down flat and stay down while my wife was getting on/off. It is very comfortable for me also.

I have an old HD design on my TG. Picked it up on ebay.

On my Softail I have a Grasshopper brand backrest. It is super comfortable. I may go with one of those on my TG soon...my existing one was bought used, but in good condition, but I've put over 100K miles on it and it is getting pretty ragged.

Kevin

+1 on the Grasshopper. I got 1 for my Freewheeler on Kevin's recommendation & it's fantastic, comfortable & good quality for under $100. Thanks Kevin.:cool:

I also had a Mustang Backrest and it was very comfortable, and its fold down feature can be very helpful when a passenger mounts and dismounts.

Unfortunately, I couldn't use the Mustang Backrest and Bracket after I installed an Ultimate Tall Boy Seat, because that seat has a built-in mount and can only be used with an Ultimate Seat Backrest. Thankfully, that Backrest is as comfortable as the Mustang was and has the same fold down feature.

Mustang Backrest and Stock Seat

20200601_210928.jpg

20200602_081955.jpg

Looking to put a driver backrest on my 2020 triglide. So many damn choices from HD and they all look about the same. Cost is also similar. I had an HD on my old 2010 that the original owner put on and I have no idea what model, but it was comfortable. Sorry I didnt think to take it off before I sold it.

Anyone out there have any that they have used and recommend?

I have always been a fan of Mustang seats... which I have always installed on my 2-wheel rides. unfortunately, due to this virus chaos, Mustang suspended making seats. and the model I wanted was sold out online. so I took a risk and purchased the HD Sundowner seat for my Freewheeler. and boy am I happy. it has the exact same lumbar/back support design as the Mustang with a little bit of cushion that the Mustang seat does not have. I also ordered the HD backrest (black leather part #52900-09A), which is thick/large and VERY comfortable. I have a bad back and sciatica as a result. this HD seat and backrest combo works well for me. in my opinion, it is MUCH better than the small thin Mustang backrest. for me, the Mustang backrest felt like a fist was pushing on my bike. I love their seats but am not a fan of their backrests. I had the same experience with a Corbin seat using their donut style backrest. seat was great. backrest was not.

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 244
I've used a Mustang Police seat and backrest onn my police bike. The backrest was awesome, the seat was comfortable (bolted on the stock air shock seat mount) but put my feet at an odd angle to the floor boards that I didn't like. Maybe it was my boots.

I bought a Utopia backrest for the original H-D police air seat and reinstalled it and have been very happy with it. Most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on in 47 plus years of riding and the Utopia made it awesome. The Utopia's are priced about $100 higher now than what I gave for mine. Easy fold down for leg over also easy to adjust while on the road.

Put one like in Rusty's photo on my wifes 2011 Tri-Glide. When it was new. She loves it. So I got one to put on my 2019 Tri-Glide and I really like mine as well. One kicker though, had to buy the mounting bracket that goes under the seat for the 2019. The bracket was preinstalled on the 2011. One other thing they have an adjustment screw under the cover to adjust the backrest forward or back. Buddy of mine has one on a 1999 RK and swapped it to his 2019 Tri-Glide, never knew it had that adjustment screw until I recently pointed that out to him. Lol.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png