Empi rear disc kit

Apr 30, 2015
pineville, la
I went ahead and bought the Empi Disc Brake Converson Kit. Got the box opened and was looking at all the parts. I went with the stamped caliper bracket. The first thing I noticed is is that the brake lines won't work. I thought the caliper mounted on top of the axle instead of behind the axle. In the instructions it says the brake lines my need to be reshaped. Yeah right. That is the first thing I noticed. I watched a video of a guy putting the same thing on a dune buggy and he used some kind of spaced so his nut would work. I guess his hub was thinner. Guess I will have to have one of those also. I talked to one of the sales people at one of the bigger vw supply houses and he never said anything about anything else I would need.

Does anyone know where I can buy the extended lines? Has anyone else done the conversion and do they have better brakes?

need feedback

Good thread, nice timing, as I am in need of breaking down my rear end, do the rubber bushing replacement. So why I was doing that, I wanted to read more about the disc brake conversion kit.

I wanted to see how/what/and why others did the switch over, and I would like to hear how they like the disc brakes.

Yes, proper position of the disc caliber will be behind the axle and will set at about the 2 o'clock position. This is on any axle, just the location for best braking of the disc system.

So if one does the rear tires, than he would want to do the front also, and does that not mean a new tire and possible forks, because you need mounting area for the caliber ?

Love this site, so much knowledge here that is shared with such friendliness.:)

I would like to hear more also from other people also. I am wondering if it will be worth it or not. Since I only run brakes on the rear I was hoping for better brakes. Going to check on brake lines. I am sure they won't be cheap especially if they are braided lines. Still looks like they would offer them ad an accessory to the kit.

Solid, (non~flex/braided), steel lines from the calipers to the rubber flex hoses are how they should be set up out back.

In basic terms, "flex" hoses are usually kept to a minimum in a good braking system, as they do swell under pressure, reducing the hydraulic force going through the system.

I can lock my brakes easily any time. They're drums. If you do switch to discs I think you're gonna want the e-brake option. You have no front brake, a failure anywhere in that system will leave you with no way to stop at all.

Empi disc brake kit

Will it make any difference if I mount the caliper on top of the axle instead of behind it. I think I can use my original lines if I mount it on top. I understand it will be harder to bleed but once I get it bled I should be through with that. I need to check and see if there is any way to put a front brake on. I have a 2002 Roadkawk from the old trike shop. It uses a Springer front end off of a Harley but not sure what year. I may could get a brake set up for it or they make some kind of bolt on kit. If anyone has any idea I'd like to know.

Will it make any difference if I mount the caliper on top of the axle instead of behind it. I think I can use my original lines if I mount it on top. I understand it will be harder to bleed but once I get it bled I should be through with that. I need to check and see if there is any way to put a front brake on. I have a 2002 Roadkawk from the old trike shop. It uses a Springer front end off of a Harley but not sure what year. I may could get a brake set up for it or they make some kind of bolt on kit. If anyone has any idea I'd like to know.

Try calling the Trike Shop in Daytona or the RoadSmith factory. The RoadHawk company became RoadSmith. Some of the original are around and might be able to help.

I don't see it making any difference.

Mine are mounted forward of the axle.

The only thing I can think of is the parking brake hook up and that is not a concern if you have the no park brake option.

Again....I do not use park brake but I do use front brake on a separate system so I always will have something. Some states require this....mine does not.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png