Engine Oil

Well, when I had my GL1500 I used Honda GN-4 with an OEM filter and new crush washer. I just followed what Honda recommended, as I didn't like my Wing getting damaged or having problems.

My choice is Chevron Delo 400 LE. I used to use Shell Rotella on my GL1500 because it was supposed to help with the clunky shifts that was experienced using standard Honda oil. It did help but tben I saw where some had started using the Delo instead of the Rotella and said it made shifting even smoother. I tried it and it gave me nice smooth shifts. I have continued using it after purchasing my GL1800 with the same results. I do still use the OEM filter as I feel it is the best choice. I usually buy the Delo in 3 gallon packs at Costco when it goes on sale. Sale price is usually around $28 for the 3 gallon case.

Full synthetic for easier shifting. I've been using Mobil 1 10w-40 for my GL1800 Trike.

When I had my 1500 Valkyrie I/S, I used Mobil 1 10w-50 with good shifting results also.

YMMV, use what you and your bike/trike favor. Lot's of good products out there, but I would use a name brand, just my bias.

Asking what oil to use is like asking "what's your favorite color?" :cool:

Honda's GN-4 ... it's their conventional oil. Here is why I'm not in favor of synthetics. In the friction zone, synthetics are known to cause more clutch slippage, and occasionally when doing tranny repair, I come across blued clutch discs from excessive heat. I was always thinking it was the rider being in the friction zone to long ... 2-whl slow races, or a trike rider feathering at a light on a hill to keep from rolling back, etc. However, I'm now in belief it's because the rider uses synthetic oil, and coupled with their clutching habits, and/or where they ride, it is not a good choice for them. Without knowing it, other may fall into this category.

Whatever oil you choose, make sure it abides to all suggestions and requirements in your Owner's Manual. Suggestions should be taken as a requirement. For example, if the Owner's Manual suggests to use either 10w-30, or 40, that means only use 10w-30 or 10w-40. If it suggests to only use m/c specific oil, only use m/c specific oil.

Snthetic

What is your oil of choice for your Goldwing? Why?

2006 GL 1800. In the last 10 years I've put on 55,000+ miles, a couple of times cross-country. Have always used Shell Rotella. I like the price and my bike likes the oil.

Some like strawberry and others prefer chocolate. :)

Delo 400LE for me too. My dodge diesel used 2 qts in 4000 miles every change on Rotella 15/40 for 8 years.Tried Delo 15/40 and using no oil last 3 oil changes.

It claims an iso syn ? process similar to synthetic

Shifting seems smoother and stays the same to the next change at 3 to 4k miles .I have more friends and my hair stopped falling out ..What a mysterious world God has created

Attachments

• Smallfire.jpg
    Smallfire.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 238
Valkyrie Oil

So, I presume no slippery clutch problems? (I used Mobil 1 15-50 for my first 21k but my trike builder said real motorcycle oil has additives for oilbath clutches)??? I'm confused, now.

Full synthetic for easier shifting. I've been using Mobil 1 10w-40 for my GL1800 Trike.

When I had my 1500 Valkyrie I/S, I used Mobil 1 10w-50 with good shifting results also.

YMMV, use what you and your bike/trike favor. Lot's of good products out there, but I would use a name brand, just my bias.

Asking what oil to use is like asking "what's your favorite color?" :cool:

Do not use any oil that says, "Friction Reducing", "Contains Moly", "Energy Conserving". Must read, "Safe for wet clutches".

Must also be JASO.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHondaGrom.net1380326599.427974.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHondaGrom.net1380326599.427974.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 161
Since '11 when I bought my used '06 Wing I've put on 60K miles. Triked it at 7,500 miles and began using Rotella T6. Then went to Motul. Used OEM filters always. I got tired of reading oil threads and worrying about it so I returned to Honda HP4S with OEM oil filter and new crush washer at every change which occurs at 6,000 mile intervals. Now I sleep better and only check out these oil threads periodically to appreciate why I quit reading them. :D

Gl 1500 oil

I have been using NAPA 14-40 pure synthetic in my 1998 Gl 1500 SE with no problems. Shifts are smoother and the bike seems to run a little cooler. Here in South Texas with 100 plus temps this time of year I think the 15-40 is better than the recommended weight.

I used Shell Rotella 15-40 mineral oil in my 1990 SE. Shifted well, ran smooth and never used any. Also cheap at WalMart so you can find it everywhere. I would change it out every 3000 mi. I started that when bikes started to come with oil filters. Before filters it was every 1000 mi. or once a month.

All good points on MC oils. However, my shop manual says use motor oils that meet or exceed SF or SG API certification. I do go the extra step to insure that it meets JASO standards, as well.

Another consideration is the weight of the oil. I know locally, if you take your GW to the dealer and ask for an oil/filter change, you'll get 10w-30 GN4. They say it's because you'll get better fuel mileage. But mother Honda's chart on oils, shows heavier oil for use at temps above 90*F, which it is here for much of the year.

oil.png

10x-40.png

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png