Engine running rough

dthorn

40+ Posts
Hi all

I have a 2021 tri-glide with 11,500 miles. i took it on a 100 mile ride last Friday and it ran great then yesterday (Sunday) me and the wife go for a ride and the motor was running rough. You can feel the vibration especially between 2700 and 3100 rpms in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. it also doesn't have the same smooth power. I pulled over and checked the codes. It had one code B2287h. I know that the h stands for history so it happened somewhere in the last 40 ignition start ups

I called the dealer they looked up that code and they say it is not a Harley code and have no idea what it was. I did have the brake recall done but that was at 8500 miles. I told dealer that i have trip planned to the Blue Ridge highway that I am leaving on this Thursday 20th. They didn't have any mechanics working on Sunday and the dealership is closed on Mondays. They told me to bring it in Tuesday morning and they would do a test drive. I also checked the fluids and they are fine.

Has anyone had a similar issues ? Could the BCM be bad or need to be reflashed? I got a feeling they will drive and say its fine. But i know how the bike should and has run. I got a bad feeling I am going to have to cancel my vacation. I don't want it to crap out in the mountain.

I’ve thrown that code and it didn’t effect how the bike performed.

I second the idea that perhaps you’ve run into some bad gas. Not unheard of.

I’ve also not personally been fond of the stock Harley gas filler (non locking). I installed the keyed door to perhaps thwart the random asshole that may want to dump something that doesn’t belong into the gas tank when parked.

You never know. Keep us posted.

Follow up- dealer found the issue

Hi all. I heard from the service department at my Harley dealer today. The right rear wheel bearing is shot. It was causing the rear wheel to drag, in turn making the bike shake and making the acceleration to slow.

Harley is going to replace the entire hub assembly along with the bearing incase it was damaged from the bearing running bad or being bad to start with and caused the bearing to puke out so soon. They is only 11,500 miles on it.

Harley also has agreed to expedite the shipping of the hub assembly because of my planned vacation. All is covered by Warranty. The bike should be ready on Saturday. Still going do a modified bike trip.

Glad this happened before getting on the Blue Ridge mountain with no cell reception. A shout out to my service advisor Dave at Wolverine Harley for all his help in getting this done so quickly. Also thanks to all who has responded with suggestions

David

Last edited:
Hi all. I heard from the service department at my Harley dealer today. The right rear wheel bearing is shot. It was causing the rear wheel to drag, in turn making the bike shake and making the acceleration to slow.

Harley is going to replace the entire hub assembly along with the bearing incase it was damaged from the bearing running bad or being bad to start with and caused the bearing to puke out so soon. They is only 11,500 miles on it.

Harley also has agreed to expedite the shipping of the hub assembly because of my planned vacation. All is covered by Warranty. The bike should be ready on Saturday. Still going do a modified bike trip.

Glad this happened before getting on the Blue Ridge mountain with no cell reception. A shout out to my service advisor Dave at Wolverine Harley for all his help in getting this done so quickly. Also thanks to all who has responded with suggestions

David

Glad to hear they found the issue and can take care of it in time for you to make your vacation.

David

Good news 👍…Dealer and Harley working together to get you on your vacation as fast as possible..

David

I love “Happy Endings”! 😜 🤣

Good to hear that "Harley" found your problem all ready :encore:

Just be glad that ALL THIS happen'd BEFORE your trip.............:victory:

Ronnie

7/22/23

Good your dealer found the problem, I am a bit confused tho on the rough running you were talking about. Was this an engine problem also or just the rear bearing problem you described?

Back