frankenstein sportster

G

gerald martin

How many of you have put a Frankenstein trike kit or a mystery design kit on a sportster 1200? Will it have enough power for two people with a total weight of 300 lbs.? Will it be able to pull a small trailer with two people on the trike? What speed on the highway will it be able to maintain with two people with and without a small trailer? I would really appreciate as many peoples comments as possible

sportster trike

what is there no one on this site that has a Frankenstein sportster or am I in the wrong forum? If I am does anyone know which forum to go to?
Thanks

Probably hasn't been seen by the right folks yet.That said I would imagine it would be ok although i've never personally rode a bike like yours.There have been several builds like yours over the years.You could try the brand specific,other brands,the trike build section of related sub-forums,or obviously the Harley forum.A bit of searching in each might get you the answers your looking for.

we only have a few on the forum that have a setup close to that. If you are not worried about quick acceleration I see no problem with what you are looking at. You may have to do a little more down shifting but thats not a biggie

Not a HD Engineer but it sounds like you might be asking the bike/trike to do what might be considered above & beyond what the bike was engineered from the factory, to do.

A factory 1200 Sporty is by no means a slouch in the hosspower dept, however from my experience, what Gorilla stated would be good advice for what you have posted.ThumbUp
Best of luck in your endeavor, gerald...ThumbUp

IMG_3225.JPG

I do own and ride a 1200 Sporty/Frankenstein, but I am a small woman and solo rider, so could not offer any perspective on your specific questions. I suspect that most of the riders here with similar setups probably usually ride them alone, as I do, and that may be why you haven't gotten much response.

That said, the trike is a blast to ride, and has no trouble keeping up with my husband's Triglide. I think Gorilla's comments sound very reasonable to me.

Last edited:
View attachment 40294

I do own and ride a 1200 Sporty/Frankenstein, but I am a small woman and solo rider, so could not offer any perspective on your specific questions. I suspect that most of the riders here with similar setups probably usually ride them alone, as I do, and that may be why you haven't gotten much response.

That said, the trike is a blast to ride, and has no trouble keeping up with my husband's Triglide. I think Gorilla's comments sound very reasonable to me.

Nice ride ... :D

A friends wife has this same setup but as Nana said she rides solo,something to keep in mind,Frankenstein did not offer a trailer hitch for their kits,a buddy had one of their kits on his Road Glide and i had to fab a hitch for his.

Wifey and I are close to your weight, have no problem. I would not tow a trailer with any bike or trike, so can not answer on that. Have 14 k miles since conversion, no problems. Sure it will not have the power of a new bt, but consider it is a1200. For how long was a 1200 bt considered a big motor? Would I go cross country 2 up, no.

Have built and rode many a Sporty over the years..the 1200 is a strong quick motor and would have no problem powering a Frankenstein kit. You don't have all the weight of a full body and tour-pack. As stated I would not go on long trips but it would be fine for around town or bike runs. The biggest draw back is the bike is small and a little cramped for two people for more than an hour or two with out taking a break..But they are a lot of fun.:cool:

sportster

Nana

Love your trike color is amazing. How long have you had it? how many miles have you put on it? Any troubles at all with the rear end? I noticed it is quite narrow, how does it corner compared to your hubbies trike etc.. does the wheel ever come off the ground when cornering ext. The reason I am asking all these questions is I am seriously trying to decide whether or not to build one. I do have a 2015 freewheeler which I really like but the new stuff like hydraulic clutches. none drainable forks, fuel injection and stuff like that are too hard for me to do by myself. I like to do my own matinence and the new stuff is beyond my mechanical ability.

and also the insurance in British Columbia Canada is ridiculous for the freewheeler whereas the sporty would be half the cost

Any pros and cons would be truly appreciated

The bike is a 2011 1200 Custom which I bought last winter from a lady who had put almost no miles on it after laying it over in her own garage. I have been riding three wheels since 2006 and have no desire to return to two, so as soon as I bought it from her, I ordered the Frankenstein kit and had it installed. We are snowbirds in Florida, and this little trike just stays here so we don't have to trailer two trikes back and forth. Last winter I put 2,000 miles on this one before heading north in the spring, and have added about 500 more in the past two weeks.

You are correct, the wheel base is narrower than the Freewheeler's, and also narrower than my Fat Boy/Champion kit, but handling is excellent. I've never had a wheel lift in turns. While I am aware that it is a possibility, I have never felt it was likely at all. The steering is quick and easy with the rake kit installed (came with the trike kit from Frankenstein). The short wheelbase of the sportster possibly contributes to feeling bumps a little more than the bigger trike, but it certainly has not diminished my enjoyment or been uncomfortable for me riding solo.

As the previous poster mentioned, 1200 was the "big twin" for many years, and on heavier bikes than a Sportster. They hauled two-up cross country without difficulty, and with a great deal of weight in duffles, etc.

piled on as well. I cannot imagine that the sportster with the kit would be an issue in that way, but seating comfort for two-up may be. Only you two could decide that for yourself. As far as pulling a trailer.... I have no clue.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else. All I know is, this is a ton of fun to ride, and I can't imagine being without it at this point.

sportster

Nana
Thank you for your answers muchly appreciated. I think I am going to build one and then try it out before I sell the freewheeler. I realy like the simplicity of the sporty and I hear the motors last forever

Gerald Nana speaks from a lot of experience. She is a very avid ride. You can take her statements as genuine. Nice trike Nana

Sundowner seat

Whilst I have no experience of riding trikes, other than the test ride that has me scrimping and saving to trike my '07 Deluxe, I have ridden a 1200 Sporty around Australia. 17,000km in 30 days in 2013 and can highly recommend the Harley Sundowner seat.

Luuuuuuuv that chrome yellow.:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png