Getting the job almost done...

Had the Avon Cobra Chrome Trike Tire removed and the OEM Dunlop reinstalled. Buzzing vibration @ 55-60 no longer felt in the handlebars. Dropped the Avon off at UPS and it's headed back to Revzilla for Warranty Processing.

I recently installed the Avon front trike tire and now you’re the second person I’ve read about that had a ‘buzzing’ in the handlebars like I’m feeling. At first I thought it was just a different feel because of the different tread pattern, but now I’m thinking not so much.

Had it put on just before a 3,500 mile trip to Tennessee and it was bugging the hell out of me. Other than the buzzing in the handlebars, it ran fine through the hills, including The Snake (awesome ride and so much better than The Dragon!!). Ordered it through my dealership, so hopefully they can return it for a full refund. Always used the OEM Dunlop’s and never a problem, so I guess I’ll go back to them.

Great write-up on what you’re doing to your TG! Thanks for sharing.

Keep us updated ... this spring is when I plan to swap mine out.

Will do! I plan to do a Lesson Learned post on Warranty Resolution Procedures for the tire issue. Gonna have a lot of down time in the coming weeks as I'm scheduled for minor surgery on my left arm Thursday. So will have to store the replacement until after recovery. Not being able to ride is the real bummer.:(

I recently installed the Avon front trike tire and now you’re the second person I’ve read about that had a ‘buzzing’ in the handlebars like I’m feeling. At first I thought it was just a different feel because of the different tread pattern, but now I’m thinking not so much. Had it put on just before a 3,500 mile trip to Tennessee and it was bugging the hell out of me. Other than the buzzing in the handlebars, it ran fine through the hills, including The Snake (awesome ride and so much better than The Dragon!!). Ordered it through my dealership, so hopefully they can return it for a full refund. Always used the OEM Dunlop’s and never a problem, so I guess I’ll go back to them.Great write-up on what you’re doing to your TG! Thanks for sharing.

Yea, mine had the same high pitch buzzing vibration through the bars that Mykneesbehurtin described. Although, it didn't affect the handling and comfort of the tire, it did tended to annoy me when riding any considerable distance @ 55-60 mph.

Glad to here you ordered through your local dealership, so shouldn't be any additional cost to you for dismounting and remounting a replacement. I've had lots of emails with a very pleasant and considerate Customer Service Representative at Revzilla on the Warranty Resolution Process. I will reorder a replacement Avon Trike Tire after they receive the return and credit my account. Just hope there's no issues with that one.

BTW, my tire had a Date Code or 4418. Do you know the Date Code of yours?

Thanks for the complement on the write-up.

BTW, my tire had a Date Code or 4418. Do you know the Date Code of yours?

Thanks for the complement on the write-up.[/QUOTE]

Not really sure where to look for the date code. If it was on the invoice from the dealership, I don't have that anymore. If it's on the tire, I don't see any numbers like yours.

I'm curious, as I have an Avon Cobra Chrome front tire to install around spring, everyone having the trouble, what psi are you running them at?

I'm curious, as I have an Avon Cobra Chrome front tire to install around spring, everyone having the trouble, what psi are you running them at?

I rode from Denver to Nashville right after I had the Avon Trike front installed. We decided to check our tire pressures and torque on the lug nuts in Nashville before heading on to Johnson City. Found out there was only 30 lbs of air in the new front tire! Pumped it up to 36 because I wasn’t sure what it was supposed to be, but was pretty sure 30 wasn’t enough. When we got back home, I did more investigation and found out it’s supposed to be 40-41 lbs (I think). Haven’t ridden too much since I fixed the tire pressure, so can’t say yet if the ‘buzzing’ feeling in the handlebars is gone or not.

So not a lot of help for your question other than letting you know that 30 lbs definitely isn’t right!!

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO
ShapeShifter said:
BTW, my tire had a Date Code or 4418. Do you know the Date Code of yours? Thanks for the complement on the write-up.

Not really sure where to look for the date code. If it was on the invoice from the dealership, I don't have that anymore. If it's on the tire, I don't see any numbers like yours.

There's a good write up on Date Codes here.

So my tires birthday (44th Week 2018)) is sometime between Oct 29, 2018 - Nov 4, 2018. Was just wondering how close are the date codes for the ones with the buzzing vibrations.

I test rode with pressures at 38, 39 and 40 psi, mainly because I was hoping for relief fron the buzzing vibrations I felt through the bars . Unfortunately, there was no change in the vibrations. For me, it seemed the best comfort when riding solo, was @ 38 psi. Here's a snapshot of Avons General TP Guidlines.

Avon Tire Pressure Guidlines.png

Wordy Thoughts on Future Online Purchases

FWIW, I'm sharing some of my concerns that have me rethinking ONLINE Tire Purchases in the future

• Costs to have your own inspection and independent evaluation of any tire related issues, or rely completely on the vendor/manufactures determination if an issue exists with their product. Ultimately, the manufacturer also has the authority to determine that a Warranty Claim does not pose an undue safety risk to riders.

• Cost to mount/balance the initial tire received, dismount for Warranty Return and then remount/balance warranty replacement tire. These costs are entirely at the owners expense.

• 30-day window from purchase date for free Warranty Return Shipping.

• Warranty Claims are settled by issuing a credit to the buyers on line account. Buyer can then apply the credit amount toward a replacement item. Online store credit refunds are nontransferable and cannot be redeemed as a cash value.

In the past I've made online tire purchases for my truck, car and Dyna T-Sport. Had the tires installed locally and have never had an issue. In hindsight, the Warranty Resolution Process and the potential for additional costs, has me thinking it's best now to go with a local brick and mortar store. Savings $ 30-40 a tire isn't worth the risk for increased costs if a Warranty Return is needed. Local stores will likely handle inspection and verify the validity of the claim, remove/ship warranty return, and then mount/balance the replacement tire.

Note: If I remember correctly, believe my Indy said he's not allowed to remount any tire that's 5 or >5 years old. So best to know the previous take-off tires Date Code, in the event you need to make a return and want to remount the previous tire. This may be necessary if remount a tire to ride during the claim review period.

I was fortunate in some respects to receive consideration that offset some of the additional costs. I don't expect this to happen for similar Warranty Claims in the future. My only minor disappointment was that Company's Policy only allows for Online Store Credit, because now I would have preferred a refund method that would have allowed me to purchase a replacement from their Sister Company's Store, Cycle Gear Little Rock, AR. I suppose another option is to pay Cycle Gear out-of-pocket for the replacement and spend the refunded ZillaCash Credits on other goodies.....hum, but what to buy!

Presently, there's no rush to immediately reorder the replacement trike tire.....can't do any installs or even ride until my Surgeon clears me to resume normal activities and heavy lifting. Spending another day hanging out with my son.....he came down to accompany me to the Surgical Center and he's still enjoying his "Call The Ball" privileges as my Responsible Adult.:bigboss::captain:

My Avon front has no issues at 6k miles with 40psi.

Im sure you’ve checked them , but wheel bearings will give strange vibrations. I pop the seals and repack at tire replacements.

That's why I picked Cycle Gear also. They are an authorised Avon tire dealer, will mount and lifetime balance for $25 and handle any warranty issues. The only negative, for some, would be removing the front wheel. Cycle Gear/Revzilla are owned by the same corporation & have given me the best customer service I've had in the industry. They answer all my questions & provided a 10% Veterans discount. With my discounts and Avons rebate, the tire was around $107, shipped to my house.

The drawback for some may be the stores are few and far between in my area, with only 1 store in Missouri, but luckily it's 5 miles from me.

My Avon front has no issues at 6k miles with 40psi.

Im sure you’ve checked them , but wheel bearings will give strange vibrations. I pop the seals and repack at tire replacements.

Thanks!

That's why when the buzzing surfaced after the Indy mounted it on 4 June, 4-days later I rode the Trike to Bossier City Harley and had them do an inspection of the wheel, wheel bearings and verify that tire was properly balanced. This ensured there could be no claim of possible owner damage during reinstallation of the wheel. Their write-up green lighted every thing associated and identified the Avon Tire as the source of the buzzing vibrations through the bars. They even included their recommendation to replace it with one from their inventory and that I declined.

I attached invoice copies for the Indy tire mounting and BC HD inspection to my initial email to Customer Service Representative. These were the reason why they instantly approved my return and immediately credited my account when they received the tire at the Revzilla. At least no waiting for the manufacturer to perform a warranty review, and approve or decline.

Good to here more positive Cobra Chrome Trike Tire experiences!! That's why I declined that Harley replacement. In June I just needed the assurance that it would be ok to safely make my Midwest trip. No problems whatsoever, outside the 55-60 mph range.

That's why I picked Cycle Gear also. They are an authorised Avon tire dealer, will mount and lifetime balance for $25 and handle any warranty issues. The only negative, for some, would be removing the front wheel. Cycle Gear/Revzilla are owned by the same corporation & have given me the best customer service I've had in the industry. They answer all my questions & provided a 10% Veterans discount. With my discounts and Avons rebate, the tire was around $107, shipped to my house. The drawback for some may be the stores are few and far between in my area, with only 1 store in Missouri, but luckily it's 5 miles from me.

Yea, that's why I'm seriously considering actually buying my replacement at the Cycle Gear Store in Little Rock. It's a 2 hour drive, but my son lives in the area, so a trip becomes a weekend visit. If I buy from CG, then have to find out how long will the ZillaCash Credit remain in my account? Certainly, don't want to loose all those credit dollars.

Got the reply from Revzilla Representative regarding my question as to whether my Warranty Refund that was issued as a Store Credit/ZillaCash would be subject to any use or loose time constraints.

The response was; "The ZillaCash credit in your account resulted from a Warranty Refund and was not awarded as a result of our Loyalty Program. That means the store credit in your account should not expire as long as we are in business."

So I have plenty of time to recuperate and then decide how I want to replace the trike tire....reorder with Revzilla using the ZillaCash or make an out-of-pocket buy at Cycle Gear Store...the Sister Company.;)

Replaced my Long Haired Black Sheepskin Cover with this 1" Sheared Medium Plush Charcoal Grey Cover. I cut the lower drivers section shorter to allow more air flow and not trap the hot air moving up from the engine. Prefer the look of the new short haired sheepskin over the previous long haired sheepskin cover.20200406_194336.jpg

20200406_192323.jpg

Changed to a new PV Gauge Setup (Voltage, Eng Temp, Coolant Temp & MPG)20200406_195421.jpg

DK Custom Passenger Floorboard Relocators - should reduce heat to passengers feet & provide more sitting comfort20200406_195726.jpg

Managed to get a 55 mile ride in the country between sporadic all day showers

attachment.php
I like the seat cover. Where did you get it?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png