Handlebars are tweeked to the right

Feb 11, 2012
Dickson, TN
Today I finally got to take a long ride to check out my new ride "Big Mama". The 2" pullback bars had been installed at the dealer before I picked up the bike. While riding I noticed my fairing looks off. Its slightly turned to the right. The handlebars are off also, the left grip is farther away and the right one is more closer to me. The bike feels like a "crab". The bike is rolling sideways!! When I stop, the fairing looks straighter, but when rolling its definitly off to the right.

Now, I'm going to ask some stupid questions. Is the front tire rolling on its side not in the center of the tire patch? The front end felt like it was sliding all the time, not diging in the pavement.

I understand that the lifts will transfer weight to the front, will this help with that issue when I get the handlebars straight? Or is this just because the handlebars are not square in the fairing?

The problem of crooked handle bars is usuallyusually sloppy isolation dampers in the risers. When we changed the bars in Vesta's Nightrain and Deluxe it felt crooked. First, we put her wheel against a post and forced the bars straight. Worked for a while, finally replaced the isolators with after market ones. Take it back to the dealer, they should have checked it before they delivered it to you. good luck.

Today I finally got to take a long ride to check out my new ride "Big Mama". The 2" pullback bars had been installed at the dealer before I picked up the bike. While riding I noticed my fairing looks off. Its slightly turned to the right. The handlebars are off also, the left grip is farther away and the right one is more closer to me. The bike feels like a "crab". The bike is rolling sideways!! When I stop, the fairing looks straighter, but when rolling its definitly off to the right.

Now, I'm going to ask some stupid questions. Is the front tire rolling on its side not in the center of the tire patch? The front end felt like it was sliding all the time, not diging in the pavement.

I understand that the lifts will transfer weight to the front, will this help with that issue when I get the handlebars straight? Or is this just because the handlebars are not square in the fairing?

Karen, the handle bars are marked in the center very well. If the istaller was so sloppy as to not center the bars, I would have some very stiff words with the owner. You would have to be blind folded to get them off center. Ron installed mine and he showed me the procedure as he was doing it, I even did some of the work myself and it is not hard at all. If your only install was 2" risers, it's a piece of cake. Now if you are installing apes or some much higher handlebars that will require new cables and all that, yes it would be more difficult. But if you only did the 2"risers...very simple.

the dealer did the 2" pullback bars with all new cables that I didn't ask for and didn't pay for. I guess you get what you pay for!! I'll call them on Monday and get it back in to straighten this out

If I pull the left handlebar to center the fairing, then I'm off the the left inthat direction, then have to allow the bike to come back o its own and everything is off.

Ya'll gonna love this. I was told today that to ride a trike is an "Acquired Taste" for those who have been riding for over 20 years on two wheels. And a person who has never ridden a bike at all will be able to learn a trike better than someone who has ridden 2 wheels. Now...some people come into the dealer and tell the mechanic, their bikes run off to the right, what is wrong. I told the mechanic that my TG does not run off to the right, its just crooked! Finally he rides it, then tells me that sometimes when the front wheels are tied down it can cause the front to be tweaked. Then the rear end could be out of align. GEEZ, I'm not an idiot, I agree I used to be blonde, but now just silver. I know that the fairing, handlebars and the forks are turned to the right a little. I guess I have to get the owner involved.

I don't think this was a dealer issue, its just plain HD should have not allowed this bike to leave the factory. LOL, the mechanic told me he will have to take the wheels off and measure everything to see if its straight. Well, lets get to it, but they want me to wait until the 1000 service. I tried to tell him that my front tire is going to wear out on the right side since the bike is doing the crap walk down the road. He didn't think that was very funny. Well boys, I didn't just spend 30K to wait!!!

I'm not sure where Hermitage Tn. is. Is there another dealer in an acceptable distance from you? I just can't understand the attitude. The mechanic is going to get paid for working on your scoot. The dealer may not make as much, but the mechanic's salary isn't dependent on whether you or Moco pays. Just a lousy attitude. We've never had any problems with our dealers out here.

Good Luck!

Isn't it a little dangerous to be riding with crooked handle bars? Girl, find yourself a new dealer. This one will take all the enjoyment out of your new ride!

Sounds to me like the rear is not perpendicular to the frame. If the left rear tire is forward, you would have to constantly turn right to get the rear end lined up square with the road and both tires side by side, and this would be constantly be pushing tread on the left side of the front tire. A simple way to find out is to go down a wet drive or road, then measure the distance from the front tire track to each rear track. If the distance to the left track from the front track is less than the right, you are crabbing and the rear is out of alignment. Other possibility is that the frame is not level and you are leaning. Easy to check. Bike on flat level surface, handle bars straight forward. Place a square against the rotors and on the concrete surface. If there is a gap at the top of the right side rotor, bike is leaning left, causing a constant need to correct by turning right.

Also check tire pressure in rear tires. Big difference side to side could add to this.

Good luck

Today I finally got to take a long ride to check out my new ride "Big Mama".

The 2" pullback bars had been installed at the dealer before I picked up the bike. While riding I noticed my fairing looks off. Its slightly turned to the right. The handlebars are off also, the left grip is farther away and the right one is more closer to me. The bike feels like a "crab". The bike is rolling sideways!! When I stop, the fairing looks straighter, but when rolling its definitly off to the right.

I understand that the lifts will transfer weight to the front, will this help with that issue when I get the handlebars straight?

Or is this just because the handlebars are not square in the fairing?

Sounds to me like the rear is not perpendicular to the frame. If the left rear tire is forward, you would have to constantly turn right to get the rear end lined up square with the road and both tires side by side, and this would be constantly be pushing tread on the left side of the front tire. A simple way to find out is to go down a wet drive or road, then measure the distance from the front tire track to each rear track. If the distance to the left track from the front track is less than the right, you are crabbing and the rear is out of alignment. Other possibility is that the frame is not level and you are leaning. Easy to check. Bike on flat level surface, handle bars straight forward. Place a square against the rotors and on the concrete surface. If there is a gap at the top of the right side rotor, bike is leaning left, causing a constant need to correct by turning right.

Also check tire pressure in rear tires. Big difference side to side could add to this.

Good luck

Thank you so much for this explanition. He said something about the rear not being squared. I have only put 200 miles on it cause I'm taking it slow and seeing this front end being turned to the right has me worried. I have had the feeling that it slides alot, not digging in even on slow curves. Now that you mentioned the air pressure in the rear tires. When he got on the bike, I noticed the right rear seemed to be bouncy, like it didn't have enough air. As I said, the bike was built this way, and should be corrected. Its strange how you can set on the bike and straighten up the front but driving on the roadway, its turned to the right. Something is not right.

Thank everyone for your insight. I do love this machine. I have a freedom I never felt before. Riding 2 wheels for so long, I always knew I could go anywhere. One trip from sturgis was a long ride home by myself, so I can do it. But, knowing I don't have to worry about weight, feet placement, taller boots, where to park, GRAVEL, gives me the confidence to take off one day and not come back until the money runs out.

tri-glide front alignment off

My 2023 Tri-glide is the same way. The bike goes left if the handlebar is straight going down the road. I have an appointment with the dealer. let us see if they fix it. I paid 48000 for a motorcycle with an issue. One dealer said it can't be adjusted. My is a 120-anniversary model.

My 2023 Tri-glide is the same way. The bike goes left if the handlebar is straight going down the road. I have an appointment with the dealer. let us see if they fix it. I paid 48000 for a motorcycle with an issue. One dealer said it can't be adjusted. My is a 120-anniversary model.

Rich..Welcome to Trike Talk..👍👍..With a new Trike i think a call to call corporative headquarters..( The number is in the manual) is in order..

I have an appointment with the dealer. let us see if they fix it.

That is what you should have done before going on the internet and posting a rant.

I paid 48000 for a motorcycle with an issue.

That is what the warranty is for, because sometimes there are issues.

The warranty does not say the machine is guaranteed not to have any issues, no warranty on the planet does.

One dealer said it can't be adjusted.

One dealer said? That doesn`t tell us anything. Exactly how did this play out?

Did you take the machine if for service and get this answer on the paperwork that was generated?

I took it to the dealer and was told that it tracks down the road fine. The handles and fairing still face right when going straight. I may have to fix it myself. I was also told that if I install my COBRA Powerport Trike Dual Headpipes I would void the warranty. We don't have an inspection in SC.[h=2][/h]

I took it to the dealer and was told that it tracks down the road fine. The handles and fairing still face right when going straight. I may have to fix it myself. I was also told that if I install my COBRA Powerport Trike Dual Headpipes I would void the warranty. We don't have an inspection in SC.

A disclaimer from Coba… …

NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR USE IN CALIFORNIA ON ANY POLLUTION CONTROLLED MOTOR VEHICLE. THE SALE, USE, OR INSTALLATION OF THIS PRODUCT MAY ALSO BE ILLEGAL NATIONWIDE UNDER THE FEDERAL CLEAN AIR ACT (42 U.S.C.S 7522(A)(3)).

I would double check what your dealer said..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png