Hannigan vs Roadsmith question

To me, the biggest decision was the installer. Unless you plan to use the factory to do the install. You can pick the best trike out there. But if it is installed incorrectly, or a mistake is made. You have a big headache. I wanted a local builder. One I know that was experienced and stood behind their work. And I could easily bitch at if a problem should arise. Tom

I found out about the fire the day before my dealer was going to order the kit. He was told it could be months before they start shipping new kits out.

I guess my choices now are Roadsmith or CSC. Any thoughts on the CSC trike kit ?

I love my CSC. Longer wheelbase, IRS, with sports suspension. Awesome handling. I would highly recommend the auxiliary gas tank. Which ever brand you choose. Tom :Spying:

I talked to the Hannigan Factory on Saturday. I was told that the first GL1800 bodies will be coming out of the mold on Thursday of this week. The fire was last Monday...looks to me like they are only losing a week and a half off their schedule, not sure on other models. They have been working around the clock to get things back on line! ThumbUp

Back to your original question: You wont go wrong with CSC, Hannigan or Roadsmith. You can see from the owners here that own each one, they all LOVE theirs. All excellent trikes and great customer service!

Shawnee Honda in Shawnee Ok. has a great selection of CSC trikes. Very happy with my 2008 gl1800 pearl white csc trike. They have the largest selection west of the MS. River.

It is 10 inches longer insted of 8. I just ordered one.:wtg:;)

per their website:

Longer Wheelbase
We increase the wheelbase 8". This puts the rear wheels back behind the passengers’ seat area rather than sitting right on top of the wheels. Any vehicle that has a longer wheelbase will have a smoother ride, it’s just common sense. As an added benefit, the differential being farther back reduces the driveshaft angle.

Trikes: HT1800 : Roadsmith Trikes

but maybe they are mistaken!!

My wife and I surely do like our new RoadsSmith kit. We also like the new used '06 GL1800 that it's mounted on. We upgraded from a '97 GL1500 with a CSC kit (solid rear axle). We loved that machine too ... it was our first trike. But the IRS RoadSmith with it's longer wheelbase is absolutely a dream to ride. The roads in our part of the world are pretty rough. The temperature extremes with lots of heavy oilfield traffic really take a toll on the pavement around here.

We haven't gotten a lot of miles on the clock just yet, but we've made a few trips of one to three hundred miles, and we are very satisfied. I agree that getting a good installer is more important than the brand of kit you buy, but installers being equal, considering the test rides we took and the research we did, I surely don't think you can go wrong with the RoadSmith. I personally like the way it's engineered and designed. We also like the way the trunk is built ... every inch of space inside is usable with ease. We got the extra trunk space built in above the differential instead of the extra fuel tank. These days, the ethanol gas goes bad so quickly that it would be important not to leave fuel in the spare tank for long. We like to stop and stretch every 100/150 miles or so anyway, and we can find fuel most places we ride within those distances. Most times, we don't really have a choice, since some places here are far enough apart that you can't skip a fuel stop anyway.

Take a really close look at the RoadSmith. But double check your dealer/installer ... that's the most important consideration!

Trike Shop wheel base 78"

CSC wheel base 77.5"

Hannigan wheel base 77"

All are great trike kits! :popcorn: Tom :Spying:

Wheel base is somewhat dependent on the degree of rake you have or no rake !
Odd that none of the specs say the wheel bases listed are w/or wo/ rake or what degree rake, if included????????????????
Guess it really doesn't make a significant difference!

per their website:

Longer Wheelbase
We increase the wheelbase 8". This puts the rear wheels back behind the passengers’ seat area rather than sitting right on top of the wheels. Any vehicle that has a longer wheelbase will have a smoother ride, it’s just common sense. As an added benefit, the differential being farther back reduces the driveshaft angle.

Trikes: HT1800 : Roadsmith Trikes

but maybe they are mistaken!!

This is for from the HDTR kit on the web site.

Longer Wheelbase

We increase the wheelbase of this bike by 10". This puts the rear wheels back behind the passengers’ seat area, Rather than sitting right on top of the wheels. Any vehicle that has a longer wheelbase will have a smoother ride. It’s just common sense.

HDTR: as stated above:
Longer Wheelbase
We increase the wheelbase of this bike by 10". This puts the rear wheels back behind the passengers’ seat area, Rather than sitting right on top of the wheels. Any vehicle that has a longer wheelbase will have a smoother ride. It’s just common sense.

HT1800 kit:
Longer Wheelbase

That should settle that discussion!

DeputyDawg,

I recently read an article in a trade magazine while sitting in a doctor's office that stated a test conducted of ethanol gasoline indicated that stored fuel would begin to lose it's original octane rating after 30 days and that the loss would continue for some time. It's my understanding that any gasoline will lose it's potency after time, but the test reportedly showed that ethanol laced fuel begins to lose that more quickly. Secondly, the alcohol tends to make moisture collect more rapidly in fuel that contains it. The article stated that fuel stored in a location that has significant temperature swings from warm to cool and back again results in more condensation forming inside the container, particularly after the container is opened to pour out some of the fuel and in the process, fresh outside air is allowed inside to be capped up and go through the process again.

I recently had a 2.5 gallon container of fuel that was about 2/3 full that had been stored since late fall last year. When I opened the container, the odor of the fuel inside was very strong and didn't smell much like gasoline. I decided to use that stuff for rinsing out my oil drain pan and cleaning up after oil changes. I always try to fill the tanks on any of my vehicles or equipment that use it before storage, and it's my practice to treat that fuel with SeaFoam or Stabil if the engine is not going to be started for some time. I have a twin cylinder 5 horse Briggs engine on a yard tractor that had been parked this way since last August. I had to drain the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in the tank to get it to start and run the other day. Thought I wasn't going to get it to fire at all.

Drained the carb, allowed it to fill with treated fresh fuel and sit for overnight, then got it to start.

I have a friend who lives on the east seaboard where they are selling mostly 15% ethanol fuel these days, and he says he really has a struggle with all of his engines that are carbureted. I know you can read anything, but I've read several discussions about problems resulting from the use of alcohol in fuel. The stuff doesn't produce as many btu's as does gasoline without alcohol, which is why fuel economy is generally somewhat less when using it. I personally don't like it. We have only been pretty much forced into using it here in SE NM, right in the middle of the Permian Basin oil fields and where gasoline is refined and distributed to the country all around us. Interestingly, we also live in an area where there are several alcohol production facilities that use milo (grain raised in the area) to produce the stuff. And to add insult to injury, fuel prices are higher here than anywhere around, New Mexico or Texas!

Based on my experiences, I no longer keep more than one 2.5 gallon container of fuel on hand for my mowers, etc. I prefer to use that and go get fresh fuel rather than keep two or three of these containers handy.

I also routinely add the recommended amount of Sea Foam or Stabil to the container when I empty it prior to refilling. I do that year round, rather than just in the fall as I used to do.

My explanation is probably not very scientific, but no gasoline will last forever with out some degradation in quality. Ethanol fuel won't last long at all, and tends to collect moisture worse. It's hard on some rubber and plastic products, and it tends to create a whitish build up on internal parts and stops up jets and passageways in carbs and mess up needles and seats, etc. That's my experience with the stuff, for what it's worth.

Thank you.
I read once, gasoline can start to "sour" in as little as 2 weeks. Doesn't mean it's bad yet but, it's started!
I didn't know anyone was allowed to sell 15% Ethanol yet!
I always put Stabil in an almost empty tank and then fill w/gas and run long enough to make sure it's completely through the system of anything I have w/a gasoline engine when storing for any length of time.

Last edited:
Goodness gracious. This thread has strayed!

I have owned both a Hannigan and a Roadsmith. Both were good as well as good values and both manufacturers are class acts. The RoadSmith offers more 'features' for the money but for my purposes, the Hannigan is better overall. It has a wider stance, somewhat more trunk space, a simpler suspension and drivetrain as well as better brakes.

Back