Restoring a 30 year old GL 1500 Hannigan trike

Aug 18, 2023
Mooresburg
Hello to everyone from my home in Upper East TN. I have purchased my first Trike, a 1994 GL 1500 with a Harringan conversion. It has 50K on the odometer. I have ridden 2 wheelers since 1967 but this is a NEW adventure for me. I have 2 questions I need help with.

1. There is almost no clearance between the right rea tire and the finder. In fact, at some time in its past the tire has worn a whole in the finder. Is there an adjustment to fix this?

2. The Aux gas tank has a whole and I need to repair it (yes I know haw dangerous it is to weld a gas tank and I also know it is aluminum). Can I get a manual from Harringan , are there any video’s on removing the aux tank?

Thanks for any help.

Hello to everyone from my home in Upper East TN. I have purchased my first Trike, a 1994 GL 1500 with a Harringan conversion. It has 50K on the odometer. I have ridden 2 wheelers since 1967 but this is a NEW adventure for me. I have 2 questions I need help with.

1. There is almost no clearance between the right rea tire and the finder. In fact, at some time in its past the tire has worn a whole in the finder. Is there an adjustment to fix this?

2. The Aux gas tank has a whole and I need to repair it (yes I know haw dangerous it is to weld a gas tank and I also know it is aluminum). Can I get a manual from Harringan , are there any video’s on removing the aux tank?

Thanks for any help.

Mickey, Welcome to Trike Talk 👍👍.. Depending upon where the hole is a you can fill the tank with water and then weld…Or like I’ve done many times before..A good layer of J P Weld …Will work!..

Welcome to Trike Talk and your first post

Depending on your skill level, welding the tank after a good cleaning to remove rust should be in order

Mickey, Welcome to Trike Talk 👍👍.. Depending upon where the hole is a you can fill the tank with water and then weld…Or like I’ve done many times before..A good layer of J P Weld …Will work!..

Thank you all for your responses

Water is not a good option. The welding process can cause water porosity to form in the weld and make the weld unsound. A better option is to use an inert gas (nitrogen).

The quest Is not how to fix the whole ( know how to do that), how to get the AUX tank out of the Harringan trike so I can TIG weld it.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to Trike Talk and your first post

Depending on your skill level, welding the tank after a good cleaning to remove rust should be in order

No rust it is alumuanum. The quest Is not how to fix the whole ( know how to do that), how to get the AUX tank out of the Harringan trike so I can TIG weld it

- - - Updated - - -

:wave4:Welcome to Trike Talk Mickey!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hello & :welcome: to Trike Talk. :clapping:

Thank you for your response.

I haven’t thought of that but you are correct that would probably work. But still I would like to get the tank out and inspect it. It is 30 years old and the hole was put there when a previous owner hid an object in the road and knocked a whole in it. Also the AUX fuel pump relay has developed a short. That was a frustrating job to replace the 30-amp main fuse.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the body from the trike conversion so I can make the inspection and repairs needed. I have rebuilt many MGB's and small general avation airplanes, but never a TRIKE.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michigander
Back