Harley Fender bra question

Thanks guys.....I am no longer a minority of one. :laugh: I still say the scratching problem is an urban legend. I towed a small Hyundai coupe behind a motorhome for about 10 years and I had a bra on the front to protect the hood from stones thrown up by the motorhome. Never took it off in all those years until I sold it and, guess what, no paint damage from the bra. I think some just say things to back up their personal opinion and that's fine with me cause it's only an opinion. ThumbUp

Mine was not an opinion. It was first hand experience as I stated.

I will say again, if these bras are so great, why don't you see them on all the exotic cars or at least some of them or even a few? :Shrug: Same with bikes.

I'm sure there are a few exceptions where, if taken lots of care, have protected a car or bike.

If I lived where the majority of roads are gravel, then maybe I would agree. But I would go with the see through film first.

That's what makes America great - we can do whatever we want and don't care what others do or think. ThumbUp

Thanks guys.....I am no longer a minority of one. :laugh: I still say the scratching problem is an urban legend. I towed a small Hyundai coupe behind a motorhome for about 10 years and I had a bra on the front to protect the hood from stones thrown up by the motorhome. Never took it off in all those years until I sold it and, guess what, no paint damage from the bra. I think some just say things to back up their personal opinion and that's fine with me cause it's only an opinion. ThumbUp

I’m not one to spend $35K for my Trike and do nothing to protect the fenders from prone rock damage. The HD fender bras do exactly what they are meant to do with very minimal (if any) ill affects to the paint underneath. The bras on my Trike are a permanent add-on (so frankly the paint underneath matters not). I smile whenever I see someone that has H-D bras on their Trike because I know they are protecting their acquisition.

I don't know why, but with all my bagger bikes I never had issues with rock chips in my fairings. Then I get a TG and immediately realized those low hanging fenders are getting hit by small pieces of road debris. Wasn't having it so I found a extra large static cling clear decal and ran it on the fender for a couple months. Finally decided that even a clear plastic material wasn't going to be enough to protect them so I put the Harley brand bras on.

Don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it is just personal preference.

I don't know why, but with all my bagger bikes I never had issues with rock chips in my fairings. Then I get a TG and immediately realized those low hanging fenders are getting hit by small pieces of road debris. Wasn't having it so I found a extra large static cling clear decal and ran it on the fender for a couple months. Finally decided that even a clear plastic material wasn't going to be enough to protect them so I put the Harley brand bras on.

Don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it is just personal preference.

3M makes about 3 or 4 different thicknesses of clear protective film. I've been using the medium thickness. You can see some nicks in the film, but not in the paint. When and if the film gets too bad, I'll just peel it of and reapply another one. I bought a roll 24" x 60" for about $56 and made my own templates. I have enough material to cover 3 or 4 TG's. And it doesn't hide the beautiful paint job that I paid over $35K for.

In over 54 years of riding with 8 years on the TG, I've never had a paint chip problem. Of course, I don't take my Harleys off road or on gravel roads. :)

I ride 10K to 15K miles a year so a few nicks and chips here and there are just a sign of it not being a garage queen. I can understand people wanting to keep their vehicles as pristine as long as possible, but there are limits. I was the same way with my Vettes (that's where I found out about bras damage to paint).

You are completely right = it's really just personal preference.

My question is how do you clean underneath of the bra, I'm sure it's not as tight on fender as the pics show so dirt or dust gets under there, don't want to scratch the paint underneath, have heard to install clear film on fender helps out, and the wind maybe blows it up a little, don't know.

Can you just pull out on the bra and flip it up at the widest part of bra in the front and then clean the fender or do you have to take the tail light lens off and do it that way, looks like this would be time consuming to take the lens off but then it might be the best way, that is the question for those that have the bras, and maybe no one cares about cleaning underneath the bra, just me I like to have everything clean.

All for now Trampas

P.S. The reason for asking this thinking of getting a 2018 hold over or a 2019, I know people that have put bras on because of big rock chips that looks really bad and the bra hides this.

I take my tail light off and take the bra off and clean/wax the fender.

Back