Harley Fluids What and Why!

Well for my .02 cents... In both '02/'03 Heritage Softails -5-Speeds

Engine: Amsoil 20W-50 (code MCV)
Primary: Amsoil 20W-50 (code MCV)
Transmission: Amsoil 75W-110 (code SVT)

Engine oil temp runs 200F in the hottest part of the summer, no clutch slippage, easy to find neutral whether running or not & they shift great.

With all the different oil combinations listed on this thread & most everyone being happy with what they use....maybe it's not quite as critical as we are lead to believe.

Last edited:
<div class="bbcode_container]
<div class="bbcode_quote]
<div class="quote_container]
<div class="bbcode_quote_container][/QUOTE]

Your codes are flipped...
Should be MCV for the Amsoil 20w-50 engine oil
and SVT for the Severe Gear 75w-110 oil in the transmission.

This is the setup I ran in my bikes until last night when performing my 5k.

Switched to Schaeffers Supreme 7000 20w-50 in Engine and Primary and the Schaeffers 80w-90 Gear Lube in tranny. Saved $$$

I like the amsoil and had a disagreement with an old friend who is an auto mechanic. On a trip to the Rockies we stopped for a break and I checked my bike with a dipstick temp gauge against his ( Same bikes all the way and we are same size) my bike was running almost 10 degrees cooler than his that was on fossil oil. Also found that a little "LUCAS" in the tranny makes way less noise on shift

I use Lucas 20w50 synthetic in the oil and primary. I use HD formula plus in the tranny. Engine oil is too light for transmission use. I have used this combo in alot of various models and with 20,000 + miles, it works flawless. But to each his own. That's why they make so many flavors.:D

Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil.

Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 Speed Transmission Oil.

Engine oil varies.
Was always Mobil 1 V-Twin or Red Line 20w-50.
Now with the heat on the trike. Put in Red Line 20w-60 before my recent 4,200 mile trip.
Thinking I'll stay with the 20w-60 in the heat of the summer and for a trips.

Your codes are flipped...
Should be MCV for the Amsoil 20w-50 engine oil
and SVT for the Severe Gear 75w-110 oil in the transmission.

This is the setup I ran in my bikes until last night when performing my 5k.

Switched to Schaeffers Supreme 7000 20w-50 in Engine and Primary and the Schaeffers 80w-90 Gear Lube in tranny. Saved $$$

OOPS:blush:....Fixed, Thanks!!

Ok, just want to know what you all are running in twin cam's (ultras, trikes etc), and why you have settled on that brand and weights.
What are you running in all 3 holes, motor, primary and trans.
Thank You
Mike

Redline Shockproof in Tranny and Mobile 1 in other two holes. 37,000 trouble free miles changing every 5.000

I use Rredline shockproof in the trans
Redline chain case in the chain case
Mobil 1 engine w/HD filter
I ran the Mobil 1 5,000 this time, don't like to run it that long, will be less next time.

?........., I won't chime on on the fluids use except to say I found it interesting that for years, Harley cautioned against using any kind of synthetic fluids in any Harley. Ah, but now that the MoFoCo has Syn3, it is fine........ :confused:

Yeah, kinda funny isn't it. Was warned by my dealership back in the day that my using syn oils would void my warranty. BUT when they came out with Syn3 it's recommended.

Me, still running Amsoil products, 20-50 in the motor, Super Shifter ATF in the primary and Severe Gear in the tranny.

o~\o

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png