Heat from exhaust causing burns

It's really not that unusual to spend that kind of money to "MAKE IT RIGHT" How much are people spending on thier new Camaros to "Make It Right" and their Mustangs. As far as the heat coming off the motor just remember you are basicly sitting on the motor. So I don't care what you are riding it gets hot sitting on them in slow traffic. Just some are warmer then others.

Mr. Wizard, I second Nana...please keep us posted on the progress of that Triglide. I have one of those heat monsters too and would like to make some mods to help out a bit. I would also really like to know what you would personally recommend as far as parts and manufactures. Feel free to send a PM if you would like.

Sarge

Mr. Wizard, I second Nana...please keep us posted on the progress of that Triglide. I have one of those heat monsters too and would like to make some mods to help out a bit. I would also really like to know what you would personally recommend as far as parts and manufactures. Feel free to send a PM if you would like.

Sarge

First off... sorry for the thread hijack.

It will be a couple of weeks before all of the materials are here then we will schedule the modification. The demand on the Trike X Pipe is high and they go through their stock fairly quickly. Preorders seem to be the way to go or you run the risk of waiting and waiting for your product. In most all cases, you are not charged until your parts are shipped.

Sarge... listed above is a great choice and I have many favorites. My opinion and a buck fifty will get you a great cup of coffee at your local Waffle House. :D

In the eyes of those who use a different product my open opinion may be objectionable. This is why I feel it is so very important for the owner to do the research. The bottom line would be splitting hairs to compare one product to another unless you race for a living.

Reduced pricing is always good and I feel this is the reason why the TG owner went with the above products. Sold as "KIT' you tend to get a matched product at the best pricing. The TG owner did all the research and did ask my opinion but I did not sway him toward any certain part with the exception of the TTS Mastertune which I do personally consider the best product for the Harley and it was part of the kit.

The mid frame deflectors should be first on your list and is not part of the above kit. It's a separate purchase and a good one to start with.

-wiz

First i'd like to say ,I was a die hard HD rider for 53yrs. They are still the best design mtcy. for looks & sound. It stops there. When the heat in the kitchen gets too hot, get out. It sound like dealers may be giving info.on how to make them run cool & make money. Cool Thighs are the way to go for about $150. Maybe to complete my Bucket list HD will get with it, B/4 I cash in. Stallion for now.

First i'd like to say ,I was a die hard HD rider for 53yrs. They are still the best design mtcy. for looks & sound. It stops there. When the heat in the kitchen gets too hot, get out. It sound like dealers may be giving info.on how to make them run cool & make money. Cool Thighs are the way to go for about $150. Maybe to complete my Bucket list HD will get with it, B/4 I cash in. Stallion for now.

After having read the new postings to this thread, I just want to make sure those who are reading and interested stay focused on the issue. I have three Harleys: 2010 TriGlide, 2010 Electra Glide Classic, and a 1998 Low Rider. The Low Rider was not my first. Although all the engines run hot and I accept and even happily live with that fact, the TriGlide is the ONLY one that actually causes a first degree burn after an hour ride, getting to the point of second degree, making it impossible to ride farther without diverting to a medical clinic. In my opinion, that is a defect in the design and should be addressed by HD. However, I am going to work with the local dealer on slight adjustments (running at higher RPMs for example) and see if the situation improves before elevating the issue. Thanks again for the input. This will be interesting.

After having read the new postings to this thread, I just want to make sure those who are reading and interested stay focused on the issue. I have three Harleys: 2010 TriGlide, 2010 Electra Glide Classic, and a 1998 Low Rider. The Low Rider was not my first. Although all the engines run hot and I accept and even happily live with that fact, the TriGlide is the ONLY one that actually causes a first degree burn after an hour ride, getting to the point of second degree, making it impossible to ride farther without diverting to a medical clinic. In my opinion, that is a defect in the design and should be addressed by HD. However, I am going to work with the local dealer on slight adjustments (running at higher RPMs for example) and see if the situation improves before elevating the issue. Thanks again for the input. This will be interesting.

BJ... The issue is two fold... well, there could be other factors as well integrated into these issues.

1. The TG has to run lean from HD to pass EPA but you know all of that i'm sure.

2. The Cat location is the primary issue. The cat internal temps can range from 800 to 1100* F.

Dealing with good old #1. I'm sure you have read all about this and the fixes. Unfortunately HD, as like most all previous years, has left the fix to the owner. However, I do know of a gentlemen that has started a class action suit against them with the help of a federal agency. Maybe you saw his post on another site.

Dealing with #2. The issue with the cat is location. HD needed to put it where it would be cumbersome for the owner to remove as most HD owners change mufflers as a way of the Harley life style. Making this location change put the heat on the rider accompanied with the engine heat. So what to do?

Most have replaced the head pipe and added a fuel manager. This is the same old stuff over and over. Others will try short cuts and these short cuts can really cause damage in the long run such as...

A. Damage to the cat device, melting the inlet or degrading the material until it comes apart. This is done by adding fuel blindly such as using a layered tuner set at any AFR lower than 13.8. Throwing more fuel on a very hot cat device will cause it's internal temps to go even higher. A small % over maximum limits will, within seconds, damage the cat. The inlet will melt and this is what is called "stopping up the cat".

>1A. If the cat comes apart the cat material will most certainly be sucked into your motor causing extreme wear or immediate internal damage. It will be sucked into your motor through exhaust reversion. Think of it as diamond fragments and dust circulating in the oil of your motor.

>2A. The HD ECM has built in protection modes. One mode is to protect the cat device from overheating. You will find these similar type of mode(s) built into the same type of ECM for the automobile industry. If a layered tuning device is used it will negate the protection mode(s) and damage may result. If the layered device is used improperly then damage will result in a very short time period.

Sorry for getting long on this and I again apologize for hijacking your thread earlier. There is a lot more to this than I could possibly add here.

Yes, you could sue Harley, join with the class action or simply change what needs to be changed in order to enjoy your purchase. This is what HD is hoping for, the latter. I'm positive you are not a rookie at this but if I may be of assistance please send a note.

cheers

-wiz

Re attention Rich Meyers...

Sincere and curious, riding the Stallion: does it feel like a motorcycle or more like a small convertible to you. I like their looks but understand that they have a Ford Falcon engine. I could be wrong. Enlighten me. The Can Am Spyder also looks good to me but currently I am satisfied with my GW trike.

The big difference between your Eletra and Tri-Glide is that the body work on the trike is trapping the air movement more around the hot exhaust. Thats why you feel hotter on the trike then the Electra.

Re: Re attention Rich Meyers...

Sincere and curious, riding the Stallion: does it feel like a motorcycle or more like a small convertible to you. I like their looks but understand that they have a Ford Falcon engine. I could be wrong. Enlighten me. The Can Am Spyder also looks good to me but currently I am satisfied with my GW trike.

IMO riding my wifes Stallion feels very much like a trike. You have the straddled seating and the open air. The Stallion is powered by a 4 cyc. Ford similiar setup to a Ranger drive train. The fact that you have a steering wheel is the major difference.

4 cyl ford ranger engine. Roush ecm module with his set up. Come stock from factory this way. No extra money. Chip cut engine at 119 mph.The difference I had to get use to was the sound. That took a while. As far as which is faster I have not had anything been able to get me except boss hog trike. He really got some ba--s. Also do they Boss Hog run hot when the fan turns on, more so than HD. All in what you want and what image you have to support.
Rich

I have really been suprised at the heat i get with my VTX 1800--not to the point of causing any burning but occationally to the point of being uncomfortable. also seems the cooling fan runs a lot
Before this trike i had a suzuki c50 with a leman trike and never felt any heat. Just assumed the heat from the vtx was from difference in engine size.
I too, not trying to hijack this thread but just chiming in to offer my vtx input

:D Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE HD! I was given a ride for the first time on a Hog at age 10! I then was pillion on a Triumph. I even rebuilt a 46 Indian Chief with my uncle Bob (Indian Bob outa Tucson Az.) So I DO love the old school engines. There was a time you could danged near do an engine overhaul on the side of the road with a pair of channel loc pliers! (kidding) But it is what it is. Heratige comes to mind. Todays HD's are NOT the bike your grandpa rode. That is why I had to change gears and brands in my (hate to say it) old age! God bless all you Harley guys/gals for keeping her alive in sales, but heat has ALWAYS been a possibility with them, IMO.

Remember the old black asbestos tape on the old hot rod Harleys exhausts? Ya gotta love it!! I watched the hill climbs as a kid in Long Beach Calif., and ALL the winners were HD!! I ride a Honda road hippo, and I get razzed by my old buddies that rode HD's. But I just needed a hospital bed on three wheels, so I went for it! I do hope you can get some recourse, without spending a boatload of cash, and I respect every rider, no matter what he/she rides! But when all else fails, try a Goldwing on sometime. Peace and respect, jimsjinx PS I love those lines of the HD trikes!!!

I would love to see what results you get. I bought a 2011 TG and apparently went into it ignorant of the heat that is generated on this trike. A few days I have questioned my choice of bikes because of the heat issue. I feel like my right leg is just about ready to stick a fork in it. I've got to do something so I can enjoy the ride!

Rider comfort has been a real problem on air cooled v twins with heat being the biggest issue..You may want to check out our crotch cooler..They work and are very easy to install..

Boswellsnashville024.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png