Help With Start issue

Apr 12, 2018
San Marcos, Texas, USA
I'm having a problem with the starter on my '02 Classic conversion. I've been getting a click from the starter for a long time but it would eventually kick in an start. Finally died completely. The plunger and contacts in the solenoid were worn so I got a kit and replaced them. Bench tested fine before I installed it. Tied it on the switch before putting the primary chain cover and floor boards back on. No problem. Got everything back together and was going to take a short 'victory' run. Unhook my Battery Tender, turn on the ignition and hit the start button...CLICK. Getting 12V to the wire from the relay. Cleaned the ground posts/wire terminals, applied dielectric compound...still nothing. Pulled the ignition and starter relays and swapped them...no luck. I had the relays I had rep[laced and tried them with the same results. I can run a jump wire from the 12V relay wire connection to the battery cable on the starter, bypassing the relay and the starter works.

I picked up a new relay but haven't tried it yet. Talked to the service dept. manager and he is confused too. No wiring inside the primary chain area that could have caused the problem. Side covers were off so I am going to check inside them and see if maybe a wire is grounding out but I don't think so.

Any ideas on anything else to check? I'm running out of options other than take it to Harley.

Don, do you have battery voltage @ the main lug on starter? Have you jumped the solenoid with ignition on? If you do not have battery voltage @ the solenoid I would be checking the starter relay

A fully charged battery is going to be your starting point @ 12,7 volts, you should read very close to this @ the starter main lug, it should drop no more than 10.5 volts when it is cranking the engine over

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png