How much did your MPG drop after the CSC conversion?

NJMike

60+ Posts
Aug 30, 2023
Hackettstown, NJ, USA
My brother (ironhorse54) and I both got the Encore conversion on identical 2021 DCT Tours. We were told by various sources prior to the conversion that our fuel mileage would drop 3-5 mpg. Our initial findings indicates a loss of 10 mpg! Although we are happy with the conversion and are looking forward to our first full season of triking, I’m curious as to what the rest of you found. One added piece of info - we are very conservative in our riding so we aren’t losing extra mpg by riding aggressively.

Thanks,

NJMike

My brother (ironhorse54) and I both got the Encore conversion on identical 2021 DCT Tours. We were told by various sources prior to the conversion that our fuel mileage would drop 3-5 mpg. Our initial findings indicates a loss of 10 mpg! Although we are happy with the conversion and are looking forward to our first full season of triking, I’m curious as to what the rest of you found. One added piece of info - we are very conservative in our riding so we aren’t losing extra mpg by riding aggressively.

Thanks,

NJMike

I'm getting about 36-38 MPG with my 2022 DCT CSC Encore......Had it converted right out of the crate, so not sure what this particular bike would get as a 2-wheeler.

My 2019 DCT Tour 2-wheeler got about 45 MPG.

I'm very happy with the mileage on my Encore.......better than I expected. The smiles outweigh any loss in MPG! :D

With the CSC Aux fuel tank I get better range than a stock 2-wheeler Goldwing.

IMG_0655.jpg

On one of our rides @ Rockies Gold, we averaged right around 40 somewhere in there.

Had some wind at our backs, so that had to help.

On the next ride, we had a crazy head wind and then a crazy side wind, we averaged a little over 30 to 32. Of course that day we were pushing the speed 70-80 at times. Those big fenders catch a ton of air and that hurts the mileage big time.

For us if we get in the low to mid 30's, I am happy. Anything else is a bonus. We didn't buy it for the mileage and the auxillary tank really helps also.

Thanks for the replies, Guys. NJ Mike and I are averaging right at 37 MPG’s. We were averaging 50+ MPG‘s on two wheels. Knew we would lose some gas mileage, but didn’t think it would be this much? What PSI’s are you guys using? We are using 28 psi. Question: would increasing the PSI’s also increase the gas mileage? Thanks for the help.

IH54 and I BOTH were getting 50mpg on an open road ride prior to the conversion. (On one trip I actually got over 53!). Eddie (my pre-fore-mentioned brother) and I were talking this morning and are now wondering if we are getting less mpg because we are running 28psi on trike tires with a max psi of 51? Everyone knows that you get the best tire wear (mpg?) with max psi, right?

I run 25 PSI rears (Goodyear ComfortTred) and 36 PSI front (Avon Cobra trike).......

Much more than that and you sacrifice ride quality.

I never got hung up on fuel mileage with my CSC Trike......I just enjoy riding to much to even give it a thought.

More pressure might give you a tad better mileage, but not worth the harsher ride quality IMHO.

A trike kit adds 300 lbs weight, more rolling resistance with fat rear tires and kills any aerodynamics a 2-wheeler has.

Ride on......:clapping:

I'm getting about 36-38 MPG with my 2022 DCT CSC Encore......Had it converted right out of the crate, so not sure what this particular bike would get as a 2-wheeler.

My 2019 DCT Tour 2-wheeler got about 45 MPG.

I'm very happy with the mileage on my Encore.......better than I expected. The smiles outweigh any loss in MPG! :D

With the CSC Aux fuel tank I get better range than a stock 2-wheeler Goldwing.

View attachment 117126
I totally agree with Big Mick

Forgot to mention added weight

We run 24# in the rear trike tires.

My prior response above is with me on it @ 250 and my bride @ 130. Plus our heavy clothes and what we have in the trunks. Also had a hitch luggage rack with a duffel and some jackets in there. So don't really know how much extra weight besides the trike kit.

Don't worry about mileage. Just go out and ride and enjoy your Trike and nature!

IH54 and I BOTH were getting 50mpg on an open road ride prior to the conversion. (On one trip I actually got over 53!). Eddie (my pre-fore-mentioned brother) and I were talking this morning and are now wondering if we are getting less mpg because we are running 28psi on trike tires with a max psi of 51? Everyone knows that you get the best tire wear (mpg?) with max psi, right?

Mike, what brand of tire are you running and where are you getting a max psi of 51 psi? Max psi on your front tire should be 42 psi (Avon Cobra Trike Tire) and it is reccomended that you run 42 psi in the front tire. Nowhere on the tire does it state any reccomended tire pressure less than 42 psi.

I stock the Cobra Chrome tires and just re-cechecked the specs. Running 42 psi in the front is known to increase tire life and prevent cupping of the front tire. Most of us run 24 psi on the rear tires.

FYI: I pumped my two back tires up to 50 PSI, and went out for about a 30 mile ride. I was shocked at how smooth and easy the trike was to handle. May even have been smoother than using 28 psi. Handled better all the way around. I am going to run a tank full of gas at 50 PSI to see if there is any significant change in MPG? Will update after I do this.

FYI: I pumped my two back tires up to 50 PSI, and went out for about a 30 mile ride. I was shocked at how smooth and easy the trike was to handle. May even have been smoother than using 28 psi. Handled better all the way around. I am going to run a tank full of gas at 50 PSI to see if there is any significant change in MPG? Will update after I do this.

I would think running that much air in the rear trike tires would make it ride like a lumber wagon. :Shrug: :gah:

Running 51 PSI in any trike's rear tires (these are automotive tires, no such thing as a trike specific rear tire) is not at all recommended by any trike manufacturer or installer. The tires are not carrying the weight of a 3500 lb car, it is carrying the weight if a 1180 lb CSC Goldwing trike.

It is widely agreed that 24 lbs + or - a pound or two is the recommended rear tire pressure. You want to have the tires running the correct pressure for the vehicle's weight it is carrying in order to achieve proper contact patch across the width of the tire for two reasons, one of course being best case traction and control of the vehicle and second, extended tire wear. Overinflation will cause increased wear to the center of the tires.

Good comment, Papa Zook. Interesting and logical. As soon as I’m back on my feet and the weather breaks, I’m gonna do this test: ride 100 miles with the rear tires at 28psi (recommended by CSC) and record the avg mpg. Then I will repeat the ride with the two rear tires at 50psi. This one short test will show if the tire pressures make any difference on the fuel mileage.

Good comment, Papa Zook. Interesting and logical. As soon as I’m back on my feet and the weather breaks, I’m gonna do this test: ride 100 miles with the rear tires at 28psi (recommended by CSC) and record the avg mpg. Then I will repeat the ride with the two rear tires at 50psi. This one short test will show if the tire pressures make any difference on the fuel mileage.

Yes you might save a little gas with the PSI at 50 because the tire contacting the surface will be less.

But the tires will not grip the road as well and would be subject to hydroplaning quicker because of the less contact with the road.

The centers will wear out first and can you imagine the destruction if the tire had a blowout with 50 psi in it.

From a safety stand point I don't think it's worth the little bit of gas saved.

JMHO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png