Installing DK's DIY crank case breather

I tied my vents to a “T” inside the air box. Then ran a single hose over the trans, along the frame, and secured to the rear tie down loop under the RT axle. This vents ALL the vapor out under the rear and away from the bottom of trike.

With the hose draining at the floorboard I was still getting a “mist” of oil on the bottom of bike even running 1/2 qt low. Not a dripping mist, but a fine coating that was bothersome.

Now, nothing on bike, well a very small amount on RT rear frame next to exhaust and that can be wiped off with a Kleenex every couple weeks.

I tied my vents to a “T” inside the air box. Then ran a single hose over the trans, along the frame, and secured to the rear tie down loop under the RT axle. This vents ALL the vapor out under the rear and away from the bottom of trike.

With the hose draining at the floorboard I was still getting a “mist” of oil on the bottom of bike even running 1/2 qt low. Not a dripping mist, but a fine coating that was bothersome.

Now, nothing on bike, well a very small amount on RT rear frame next to exhaust and that can be wiped off with a Kleenex every couple weeks.

Do you have a filter on it?

I did re route mine today, kind of like you did.

Out of air cleaner and in front of rear jug.

In Front of Rear Cylinder.jpg

In behind exhaust.

Near exhaust.jpg

Across tranny.

Over Tranny.jpg

Under frame, zip tied to right fuel tank vent and rear brake line.

Filter.jpg

All in all, I think it worked out well. It's a little close to the rear exhaust, but on a 15 miles ride after and it didn't melt ... I'll keep an eye on it.

Fuzzy, I ran mine like that it got hot after long rides so I ran it thru a piece of conduit

That solved the heat issue, and did not look too bad either;)

Never rains, but it pours.

So, today I noticed my catch can looked "crumpled".

2018-04-11 11.51.39 HDR.jpg

Apparently, when Harley redid the O2 sensors, the didn't route it like I did (my bad, should of checked on them). Their routing was close, but, not quite what I did. This resulted was the can hanging a little lower, and when I went to a customer's house to look at a cover, the can got trapped between the frame and the curb and that crushed it a bit (lowering the rear of the bike an inch didn't help here). The other issue was by re routing it they actually laid the hose on the back of the rear cylinder head pipe, melting it.

2018-04-11 11.56.14-1.jpg

I've re routed it back to just under the air cleaner and have ordered a "pretty" can from DK to replace the crushed one.

So, today I noticed my catch can looked "crumpled".

View attachment 56422

Apparently, when Harley redid the O2 sensors, the didn't route it like I did (my bad, should of checked on them). Their routing was close, but, not quite what I did. This resulted was the can hanging a little lower, and when I went to a customer's house to look at a cover, the can got trapped between the frame and the curb and that crushed it a bit (lowering the rear of the bike an inch didn't help here). The other issue was by re routing it they actually laid the hose on the back of the rear cylinder head pipe, melting it.

View attachment 56423

I've re routed it back to just under the air cleaner and have ordered a "pretty" can from DK to replace the crushed one.
Fuzz all that little filter does is keeps mice from crawling in the motor LOL and soak up the slobbers from the heads not pretty but still functional at least in PA. Fred

Fuzz all that little filter does is keeps mice from crawling in the motor LOL and soak up the slobbers from the heads not pretty but still functional at least in PA. Fred

I know, but, you were right, the can I have will eventually drip on my engine and get burned on there. The one I ordered holds the goop better.

I know, but, you were right, the can I have will eventually drip on my engine and get burned on there. The one I ordered holds the goop better.

Kevin has some really nice catch cans. I wonder how often you need to clean those out and how do you tell? I need to move mine also farther back on trike Old Shiney gets really grubby from where I put mine in the first place. FredThumbUp

Fuzzy....And there is the reason why I always double check any work that anyone else ever does on my bikes/trikes....no one cares for our rides as much as we do.

Fred, every bike spits a different amount of oil. I have one twin cam, that from brand new, spits at least 4x's the oil of another Twin cam I have. They also spit different amounts based on different riding styles.

My really bad spitter had to be cleaned out every 2000-3000 miles. My other one, I just clean it out every oil change (around 5k miles) and it usually does not even need it at that point.

Shorter rides, especially in cooler weather, make for more accumulation also.

The way you'll know it is past due for cleaning is that oil will spit out the vents on the top of the catch can.

Kevin

Fuzzy....And there is the reason why I always double check any work that anyone else ever does on my bikes/trikes....no one cares for our rides as much as we do.

Fred, every bike spits a different amount of oil. I have one twin cam, that from brand new, spits at least 4x's the oil of another Twin cam I have. They also spit different amounts based on different riding styles.

My really bad spitter had to be cleaned out every 2000-3000 miles. My other one, I just clean it out every oil change (around 5k miles) and it usually does not even need it at that point.

Shorter rides, especially in cooler weather, make for more accumulation also.

The way you'll know it is past due for cleaning is that oil will spit out the vents on the top of the catch can.

Kevin

I'm guessing I will have to clean the can about the same as the Tri, but, it could be less or more. The Tri. I did every oil change, 2500 miles (I do oil and filter every 2500 miles and all three every 5,000 miles). A big issue with this is how full (Over full) we fill the bike with oil.

The dealer did my 1K mile service and left the oil level about midway on the dipstick. A couple hundred miles later, I put the DK external oil breather on and ran the filter directly below the connection on the front cylinder behind the floor board. About 1500 miles later, I noticed that my bike was marking it's territory so I had to clean the foam filter. The next time I have the gas tank off I will locate the filter under the tank so the oil will drain down.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png