Larger engine for Triglides

Thank you everyone! I will look at dynoing the Trike and adding a tuner. Hell, I might gear and cam it and then ride the pee out of it. The Trike itself drives and handles well, especially after the lifts were added. After the engine mods, I will be looking at upgrading the rear brakes, but I will leave those questions for another day! You guys and gals are awesome! I hope to meet all of you soon! Oh another upgrade will be some airbrush art!

It could be sumping,which will rob you of power. Have the oil pump checked it has been known to happen. There is a way to drain the crankcase and see how much oil comes out, should only be a couple ounces. Sumping will also cause it to run way hot.
SR

Changing over to the 30 tooth pully was one of the best mods M3 and I did. Along with that we also went to Woods 555 cams with a TTS tuner and had both of them on a dyno and tuned. The 6th gear is now very usable. I can start using 6th gear at between 55 and 60 mph and actually have some positive response when I twist the throttle.

Everyone has their own opinion on what power is. In my opinion my 09 TG in stock form was a dog in 6th gear. I never shifted into 6th gear unless I was at 70mph or better.

The hill in question gains about 100 feet out of the Missouri river bed in approximately 3/4 mile. I start at 75 in 6th and by the top it will be around 60. Now, if I was at altitude and not in Kansas City I would be in third or fourth gear. So, I will change gearing now.

Something else to think about. I changed out my 32 for a 30 on my CVO trike. I still need to slip the clutch to start out. My trike (Champion IRS) comes with 205 X 70 X 15 tires on it. Changing tires to either a 205 X 65 or a 205 X 60 will lower my gearing more. I've tried the 60 series tires and maybe it's a little more than I like, trying to decide if I want to buy some 65's just to see how it works. It may not sound like changing tires will effect your gearing much but the guys at Champion tell me going from a 70 series to a 60 will lower your overall gearing by 14%. If you do have an 09 or 10 TriGlide the 30 tooth pulley should be your first mod, then if you still need (or want) more power your local HD shop will be more than happy to sell you what you need.

Dwight

I've been going thru all the comments on a larger engine in a TG. Got a lot of interesting info. I recently sprung for a 120 in my 2011. I didn't buy it to do wheel stands or get crazy. the 103 wasn't bad, but I don't like downshifting on reasonable hills. I could have re geared, but I don't like the aditional rpm.

As far as holding up, if you beat anything sooner or later it's going to give up the ghost. I know of people that beat the snot out of the 120 on the strip in two wheelers with no problems. (so far). I'm really satisfied with it plus the milage isn't bad. Getting 32 mpg. with the pipes changed it sounds like a Harley now,also heat isn't a problem on a 90 + day.taking the bar fairings off helped quit a bit.

I've been going thru all the comments on a larger engine in a TG. Got a lot of interesting info. I recently sprung for a 120 in my 2011. I didn't buy it to do wheel stands or get crazy. the 103 wasn't bad, but I don't like downshifting on reasonable hills. I could have re geared, but I don't like the aditional rpm.

As far as holding up, if you beat anything sooner or later it's going to give up the ghost. I know of people that beat the snot out of the 120 on the strip in two wheelers with no problems. (so far). I'm really satisfied with it plus the milage isn't bad. Getting 32 mpg. with the pipes changed it sounds like a Harley now,also heat isn't a problem on a 90 + day.taking the bar fairings off helped quit a bit.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the 120R, I'd go that route if I would ever have the need to perform major surgery on the bottom end of mine. The 120R is incredible bang for the buck and with good exhaust and tuning it has shown 130+hp with 130+ torque.

Thanks for the input MSOCKO. One thing that I'm concerned about , is the stock 103 oil cooler big enough for the 120. dealer says that it's ok. just wondering. I live in Ohio and it only gets in the 90s rarely.

Thanks for the input MSOCKO. One thing that I'm concerned about , is the stock 103 oil cooler big enough for the 120. dealer says that it's ok. just wondering. I live in Ohio and it only gets in the 90s rarely.
Some would say the stock 103 oil cooler isn't big enough for the 103.

I just picked up my 2011 TG from the HD shop where I had a Thundermax ECM and 10 row Jagg oil cooler with a fan on it installed. The wrench working on my trike did not care for any of the maps offered by Thundermax. They sent him one that they are developing and will be out soon. It runs great in all power ranges, a little flat over 75mph, but still so much better than the Vance and Hines fuel management module. I have Rush ceramic coated true duals, the "Touring" mufflers used in the 110cu HD (Screamin Eagle) with the breather etc done also. Add 255 cams too. Runs very cool, as in 200-210 or so. I am installing a Lenale fan tomorrow, then I. done.

I agree with TheBobs, the stock cooler is right on the edge of not being large enough for the stock 103 depending on how or where the trike is ridden. Depending on the tune is whether or not you'll need to upgrade the cooler. I'd monitor the oil temp and base a decision on what the next move is on that, my bet is your going to end up with a larger cooler.

I agree with TheBobs, the stock cooler is right on the edge of not being large enough for the stock 103 depending on how or where the trike is ridden. Depending on the tune is whether or not you'll need to upgrade the cooler. I'd monitor the oil temp and base a decision on what the next move is on that, my bet is your going to end up with a larger cooler.

+1:Agree:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmorri1
Back