Lehman Trike and Trailer Question

Akarocko

10+ Posts
I'd like to get a trailer for my 2007 GL1800 Lehman Monarch II trike. It already has a hitch and wiring harness. The hitch is a Lehman steel bar which is bolted to the bottom of the frame. The sticker on the hitch says the tongue weight should not exceed 30 pounds, and the trailer weight should not exceed 200 pounds. I called tech support at Lehman and they confirmed the numbers. The owners manual says the same.

Most trailer brands weigh approx. 200 pounds empty!! I'm really confused now. Surely some of you own Lehman trikes and are pulling trailers. Do you have the same hitch, what are you pulling, and how much can I ignore the numbers? <!-- attachments -->

What should I do now?

Deciding to pull a trailer is a confusing decision,but,thousands of us biker/trikers do it.
Each trike kit or motorcycle has different weight capacities as do trailers.
I don't have a Lehman kit or a GL1800,however here is some numbers of what I have.
My CSC kit has a total load capacity of 625 lbs.I pull a CSC Escapade SE trailer.Empty it weighs 237 lbs.,loaded capacity is 350 lbs.(never have loaded that much weight),tongue weight rated at 14 lbs.It does take some skill when loading a trailer to stay close to rated tongue weight.
In your case I would think the hitch rating of 30 lbs.tongue wt.and the 200 lbs.would most likely what Lehman put on there for any liability issues and/or for the kit warranty.Tongue weight is important according to what your rated bike load weight is.
Now,what most do is find a trailer of your liking,be carefull of how you load it and practice pulling it before any long trips.The loaded trailer will push you when stopping.Your trike has more than enough power to pull the trailer you choose.
Hope this has helped a little.

I'd like to get a trailer for my 2007 GL1800 Lehman Monarch II trike. It already has a hitch and wiring harness. The hitch is a Lehman steel bar which is bolted to the bottom of the frame. The sticker on the hitch says the tongue weight should not exceed 30 pounds, and the trailer weight should not exceed 200 pounds. I called tech support at Lehman and they confirmed the numbers. The owners manual says the same.

Most trailer brands weigh approx. 200 pounds empty!! I'm really confused now. Surely some of you own Lehman trikes and are pulling trailers. Do you have the same hitch, what are you pulling, and how much can I ignore the numbers? <!-- attachments -->

What should I do now?

My trike has 05 Monnarch II with hitch, tow a cyclemate trailer with no issues Trailer Model CM2000, Weight 145lbs,Capacity 225lbs

I didn't want weight so I built my own. First you need a Car Top Cargo Box like this: http://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...management/roof_top_carriers_bags/?quantity=1

It's at Pep Boys for 219.00 On Sale order online & Extra 25% Off with Free shipping or Shipped to a store near you. You'll notice it opens with two hinges that hold the top up for access & comes with a Lock & Keys. 18CF & weighs approx. 28#

Next you'll need Trailer: http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

This is at Harbor Fright, and comes as a kit unassembled, during assembly keep it square or it will fish tale, use red lock-tite. Once its together mount (3) 1"x10"x40" to mount the carrier to. approx. 125# Cost 179.99 + wood
I did up grade mine slightly by using 10" wheels & tires ( Northern Tool or Tractor Supply on sale)& mounted the spare tire on the front tongue, all has been good for 12 years.

Now just paint or power coat or not to suit your color and seal the wood and leave 2" gaps for water to drain off topper and wood.
It all works great 1 7/8" ball mount. Total 160# with tire on frt. 20# tongue wt.

:10:

- - - Updated - - -

Well forgot something to look at:

Attachments

• sportrack%20voyager%20roof%20top%20box.jpg
    sportrack%20voyager%20roof%20top%20box.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 92
  • image_18027.jpg
    image_18027.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 93
I have an 07 Monarch II with a Piggybacker XL that I tow. Ive never any issues with towing. What I use when loading my trailer is a fish scale on the tongue to keep the tongue weight where it should be. I have a board I cut to height so I can load the trailer unhooked from the trike using the scale. If Lehman wants to stick with the 200 LBS good luck finding a trailer you could actually load and be useful with.

I have an 07 Monarch II with a Piggybacker XL that I tow. Ive never any issues with towing. What I use when loading my trailer is a fish scale on the tongue to keep the tongue weight where it should be. I have a board I cut to height so I can load the trailer unhooked from the trike using the scale. If Lehman wants to stick with the 200 LBS good luck finding a trailer you could actually load and be useful with.

:Agree: Most trailers start in the 175 lb range which doesn't leave much room for essentials if your limited to 200 lbs.

Back