Looking at Goldwing Trike in the morning

That sure was a pretty bike, and it looks to be very well taken care of: You can be sure that 99% of wing owners do indeed take good care of their machines........ It's not like a crotch rocket, where you can almost guarantee that it's been beat on, raced, and red lined many times....

Ronnie

We love our '97SE / '98 Lehman GTL, It's a short or "not extended" wheel base solid axle "no lean" trike We've had it since 2004, have known the Trike's original owners since 1997 when we saw it at a Mall Show near by as a bike, still under 100,xxx miles, but I know resale on them has dropped, but that's OK. We got a great deal on it in 2004 with trailer and just half present miles at $16K and it's returned a lot of smiles. I have always done my own work, back into early '70s doing top end jobs, carbs, transmissions, etc for me & friends on cars & bikes.

I "sold" a '74 Triumph Trident to a Florida guy, virtually "gave" a '85 GL1200A away here in Va., when this trike gets another 100K on it's OD, I'll maybe do something to it or with it. Maybe trade, sell, or go for 300K? I can shop the net if needed for parts, I know that I could still find anything I needed for that '74 or '85 when it was needed , even now, and so I expect I'll be able to locate same for the '97/'98 trike. Hell, with prices as they are, I can buy a low miles parts bike cheap now

We'll likely confine rides to a three or four state area of Va., W.Va., Tenn., N.C. in the future, maybe drift across Md. into lower Pa. again if a ride presents itself. For serious travel like out west or just midwest, way down south, or if ever I decide to spite myself with another trip to the Maine or Vt., I'll take a car or PU. N.J. and Mass. & Ct. are not on any must see lists I have. I don't have a map of "states I musrt see on a trike", I like touring by automobile as I find it just as liberating, more comfortable, less stressful, and at least as cheap. I know my nights will be spent in a motel. I operate on a loose budget subject to whim.

I know the 1800s have a long future, know they are EFI, know they can get good MPGs, etc, but I also know that the day is coming the complexity will limit a DIY guy's ability to maintain even if age and ability and desire don't do so first. We recently bought a new 2019 Forester Sport, it has 32 or is it 36 computers. I thought my Fords and our Mercury with Pats was getting too far along.

Back in 2008 we took our 2001 Mercury out to Utah to meet a group on bikes & trikes that were from here, we surprised them by waiting for them at Goulding's, shocked them too. Then after sight seeing, etc, we trailed along behind them for a day. We were in the dry, in AC, etc, and I was getting within two MPGs of what any trike pulling a trailer in that group was doing, and even carrying a couple of their co riders who wanted to rest. I had a CB, I was in the chatter. They were on a month long planned trip and there were days they stayed at a motel all day due to health or weather … but no breakdowns. (Yeah!)

Why I wrote all this? I know there was a point, but I forget it now. Just watching Talladega over my shoulder and got carried away I guess.

Oh yeah, GL1500 trikes, value, worth, maintaining, etc

Interesting comment Pilot, seems we have the same thoughts. I don't ride my GW Road Smith like I should anymore, it sort of sits plugged into the battery tender, Millie and I do short rides to somewhere occasionally. Probably sell it one of these days soon, just haven't 'cause it doesn't cost anything just 'resting' in the garage. When we do the longer road trip, it's in the Prius with the comforts it affords at half the price of operating 3 wheels.