Looking for Opinions...motor size vs tranny

I'm new to Harley's...and trikes. I'm looking at two 2007 Harley trikes. One has the 96 motor with a 6-speed tranny. The other has the 103 motor with a 5-speed tranny. Both are comparably priced and equipped, with around 20K mileage. I will be riding mostly two-up with my wife, at highway (65mph) and interstate (75mph) speeds. Which trike would you choose? Is there a significant difference in power between the two? Any sage advice is appreciated...

Well I'd chose the 103 for 3 reasons.

1. Its already modded.

2. There's no replacement for displacement.

3. You can make it a 110 with bolt on parts if need be.

Reverse Safety Lockout Switch

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the mechanical reverse appears NOT to have a reverse lockout safety switch. The reverse lockout safety switch is to keep you from inadvertently leaving the mechanical reverse engaged, then foot-shifting into any gear in the transmission. That maneuver will grenade your transmission when you release the clutch! With the safety switch installed, if you forget to shift out of reverse, then foot-shift into any gear, it kills the engine before you can do any damage.

I've not done any damage to mine, as the reverse lockout safety switch saved my bacon more than once!

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the mechanical reverse appears NOT to have a reverse lockout safety switch. The reverse lockout safety switch is to keep you from inadvertently leaving the mechanical reverse engaged, then foot-shifting into any gear in the transmission. That maneuver will grenade your transmission when you release the clutch! With the safety switch installed, if you forget to shift out of reverse, then foot-shift into any gear, it kills the engine before you can do any damage.

I've not done any damage to mine, as the reverse lockout safety switch saved my bacon more than once!

That’s what saved me a few times but I tried to blow up the picture I couldn’t see if it had that wiring harness on it or not…. I know I’ve heard of some Mechanics who didn’t wanna play around with wiring and would tell the customer it’s not necessary believe me it’s necessary…. When I had mine done in 2011 motor trike sent the wrong wiring harness So road a week without the safety switch /Harness till The right one came in and no matter how hard you try you will forget that your in reverse and pop it into gear ⚙️😱

I didn't ask the conversion brand. Here's a photo of the 6-speed.

292834663_7954997454510652_6562554287196264875_n.jpg

I would go with this one, you can always add stuff to give it more pep and not that much money if you don't go crazy, that is one good looking bike, I would say the previous owner took good care of it. I know sometimes I wish I would have converted my road king with a conversion since a harley dealer close to me does or at least used to, and it a motor trike they install, but hine sight now. I'm happy with my 2018 and I was happy with my 2016 also, the 2018 has more pep for sure but I'm old now and don't need the hot rod style anymore, long as it gets me there I'm happy

All for now Trampas

If that is a Motor Trike Reverse Kit, it installed backwards and the two internal gears are install on the wrong shafts, and the gear that is attached to the input shaft (clutch) is supposed to be drilled and locked with set screws otherwise it can spin off under normal use. The gears can only fit one way because they are different sizes.

Nevermind....I bought a Honda

Well folks, I just bought a 2013 Goldwing with the Lehman Monarch II conversion (independent rear suspension) and 13K miles on the odometer. Rides great with two-up and plenty of power on the interstate. Thanks for all the help...even though I didn't go with the Harley. By the way...the owner raised the price to the Harley I pictured by $4K to $23K. She said someone told her she had it listed too cheap...

PXL_20220801_183449229.jpg

Well folks, I just bought a 2013 Goldwing with the Lehman Monarch II conversion (independent rear suspension) and 13K miles on the odometer. Rides great with two-up and plenty of power on the interstate. Thanks for all the help...even though I didn't go with the Harley. By the way...the owner raised the price to the Harley I pictured by $4K to $23K. She said someone told her she had it listed too cheap...

View attachment 109161

👍👍

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png