Loss of Freedom

59 Years ago today I gave up my freedom and joined the Navy. Got sworn in in Ashland Kentucky, Shot filght to Cincinnati Ohio and then a flight to San Diego via Los Angles.

Hi Ray,

You were ahead of me by 2 years and 2 days. I reported to MCRD, San Diego, on 6-22-66. Became a Marine for the rest of my life.....

Jim

The one thing that it taught me in my travels was/is how lucky we are living in this country….

WOW! You got that right Rhino. Experiencing people living in grass huts sure made me appreciate peace and stability, a solid roof over my head, an actual bed, electricity, indoor plumbing, a variety of food on the table every night and a grocery store, a public school system, the telephone, television, a car in the garage, paved roads, immense prosperity compared to some countries, and probably more that you can think of. Did I leave anything out? In some third world countries fire wood is a commodity and if you own the pots and pans you cook in, you're considered wealthy. Are we a spoiled society?

Feb 19, 1968 I raised my hand at the AFEES station in Harrisburg Pa. Several weeks later I was a Marine. There was a bit of a problem going on in SouthEast Asia in 1968 so most of us figured that's where we would be heading. Left 14 years later as a Gunnery Sergeant. If that wasn't enough, the day after my discharge I joined a police department and spent the next 30 years on that job....

Feb 19, 1968 I raised my hand at the AFEES station in Harrisburg Pa. Several weeks later I was a Marine. There was a bit of a problem going on in SouthEast Asia in 1968 so most of us figured that's where we would be heading. Left 14 years later as a Gunnery Sergeant. If that wasn't enough, the day after my discharge I joined a police department and spent the next 30 years on that job....

Rich ‘ Welcome to Trike Talk…👍👍.

the day after my discharge I joined a police department and spent the next 30 years on that job....

Completely understand Gunny. Kinda like going from the frying pan into the fire, ain't it. You're a good man.

Back