My first question, and I hope I’m in the right place?

May 28, 2023
X
I bought a 2001 Honda GL1800 Hannigan Trike with 80,000 miles on it. 1 owner, and it came with a 3 ring binder with everything ever done to it by the Honda Dealer. It runs beautifully so I took a gamble.

My question is: the rear suspension air pressure? I’m 300lbs, my wife 150, so 450lbs two up. What from your experience is the best rear air pressure? It was 18.5 when I bought the bike and of course kept bottoming out. I quickly put up it to 35lbs and it’s better. But is it enough? Thanks

Hannigan does not retain the Honda onboard preload adjustment feature, so adjusting it will have no effect. They do use a high quality, progressive shock and adding preload to both sides will help with your bottoming out.

If you received it with your trike, you will need to use the shock preload adjustment spanner wrench to add preload to your shocks. It normally comes set to the lowest preload setting so increasing it to the first or second notch should do the trick.

Mine does have air

Hannigan does not retain the Honda onboard preload adjustment feature, so adjusting it will have no effect. They do use a high quality, progressive shock and adding preload to both sides will help with your bottoming out.

If you received it with your trike, you will need to use the shock preload adjustment spanner wrench to add preload to your shocks. It normally comes set to the lowest preload setting so increasing it to the first or second notch should do the trick.

I do have an air nipple in the trunk which I used to put 35lbs in. As I did the bike rose up. So it does have air ride in the back. I guess I’ll just have to experiment with the pressure. It rides much better with the 35.

I do have an air nipple in the trunk which I used to put 35lbs in. As I did the bike rose up. So it does have air ride in the back. I guess I’ll just have to experiment with the pressure. It rides much better with the 35.

Can you post a picture of that? To my knowlege, Hannigan has never offered any type of air adjustable suspension option. Maybe it is an aftermarket addon or added by the previous owner.

Also, if you could post some pictures of your trike that would be helpfull in identifying the make, model and style of the conversion.

Thanks!

Can you post a picture of that? To my knowlege, Hannigan has never offered any type of air adjustable suspension option. Maybe it is an aftermarket addon or added by the previous owner.

Also, if you could post some pictures of your trike that would be helpfull in identifying the make, model and style of the conversion.

Thanks!

click on my user and you should see the bike.

More..

Delving into it further via the binder that came with it…. It was assembled/built by a company in Quebec called RCTrike. It’s a Hannigan kit but can be modified with a number of alternative solutions for the handicapped rider. If you check the Hannigan website they do show this model. The rear, as it turns out has a Ford differential and air shocks. It’s like the tea commercial… only in Canada. The shift is odd too. No heel or toe shift it’s a part of the running boards. There’s a place for your foot and it just rocks back and forth and changes the gears. The original Honda trunk is there but below that is the trike trunk and it’s massive for a bike. Could put a body in there. It also comes with a massive rear mud flap to stop dirt or rain from spraying up the back. I was really intrigued when I first saw the bike. I can add some pictures later, I need to crawl around it more.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0071.jpg

Delving into it further via the binder that came with it…. It was assembled/built by a company in Quebec called RCTrike. It’s a Hannigan kit but can be modified with a number of alternative solutions for the handicapped rider. If you check the Hannigan website they do show this model. The rear, as it turns out has a Ford differential and air shocks. It’s like the tea commercial… only in Canada. The shift is odd too. No heel or toe shift it’s a part of the running boards. There’s a place for your foot and it just rocks back and forth and changes the gears. The original Honda trunk is there but below that is the trike trunk and it’s massive for a bike. Could put a body in there. It also comes with a massive rear mud flap to stop dirt or rain from spraying up the back. I was really intrigued when I first saw the bike. I can add some pictures later, I need to crawl around it more.

Nice Looking Trike from that picture. I was thinking it was Euro or what ever the name was, I think the guy was from Canada I met him at Daytona bike week about 5 years ago, They had big wide rear fenders .

Honda

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 113167

You have a very unique trike, good looking………..hope

you ENJOY that machine!

:Coffee:

Most trike manufactures have Owner's Manuals for the products they build. An Owner's Manual covers how to operate, care for, and maintain your trike kit. You might call Hannigan and have them either email you one or mail one to you.

Most trike manufactures have Owner's Manuals for the products they build. An Owner's Manual covers how to operate, care for, and maintain your trike kit. You might call Hannigan and have them either email you one or mail one to you.

Good suggestion thanks… it came with the Honda manuals, one well used in French and one not touched in English, lucky me, I now have a pristine English Honda manual and the binder of course, with its history. I’ll contact Hannigan and ask.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 113167

This is not the same trike model and it is not a Hannigan built trike. I texted Ruth Anne Hannigan a copy of your picture yesterday and she texted me back last night.

Per Ruth Anne & Dave Hannigan "It is not a Hannigan and we have no idea who makes this."

Yup, air bags

Thanks!

IMG_0242.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is not the same trike model and it is not a Hannigan built trike. I texted Ruth Anne Hannigan a copy of your picture yesterday and she texted me back last night.

Per Ruth Anne & Dave Hannigan "It is not a Hannigan and we have no idea who makes this."

Really…? It’s supposed to be but modified by RC Trike.

IMG_0068.jpgIMG_0246.jpgIMG_0245.jpgIMG_0244.jpgIMG_0247.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0248.jpg

Well whoever made it, it’s well built.

Thick steel frame, air bags, undercoated, Ford rear end, Cragar Mags, thick fibreglass, and after 22 years on the road no cracks or splits.

I only expect to get maybe 5 years on if I’m lucky, because of my own physical health and I bet it’ll still be in great condition. When certified it only required a new head bearing and a new front tire.

So I’m happy with it. Good fuel economy too, a tad over 40mpg since we’ve been on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Good suggestion thanks… it came with the Honda manuals, one well used in French and one not touched in English, lucky me, I now have a pristine English Honda manual and the binder of course, with its history. I’ll contact Hannigan and ask.

It appears to not be a Hannigan but sure looks similar but so I guess no manual…. Poo..

Apparently not a Hannigan so no manual I guess… darn..

- - - Updated - - -

Its still a really nice trike Michael and I'm sure you're going to get lots great riding with it!

I sure intend to try.. thanks

It appears to be a custom conversion and a very nice one. Is RC Trike still in business? If so they could tell you more about it. Its very different. Does this sound like the company who made it: R C Trike Inc 137 rang des Plaines, Sainte-Eulalie, QC G0Z 1E0 Phone# 819-225-4024 I was doing a search from the name given and found that info. This may help even more as to the history of this unique trike. :)

So now.. we got off track

My question here appears to have swerved off course. I originally ask about air pressures, but since then I’ve been snooping around this and other sites and came to my own experimental conclusions.

Front tire is an H50 so 35lbs. (for larger footprint)

Rear tires are now 25lbs. (for softer ride)

Rear air bags are 35lbs. (for two up)

Seem fair?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png