New exhaust - what to expect?

Jul 24, 2013
Gilbert AZ
I want to switch out the stock exhaust on my 2013 Sportster Trike but I'm not sure what to look for or what to buy.

I would a nice deep throaty sound without being so loud I wake up the neighbors. What kind of ballpark cost can I expect for parts and installation? What exhaust do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Only you know what exactly your looking for as far as the sound. Whats to loud to you may not be to others. What sounds good to you may not to others. Go to bike dealers, bike nights, or anywhere there is a gathering of bikers and look for Sportsters like yours and talk to the owners of them. You will find most are very happy to talk about their bike to you. Ask them to start their bike so you can hear what their pipes sound like. When you do find pipes that meet your ears liking I'm sure the owner of that bike will be happy to give you any info you may what about their pipes. That way you should find what you are looking for and like.
Dan

Here's two exhaust systems to AVOID. I installed Vance & Hines slip-on Straight Shots on my 2005 softail, and it's a "wake-up-the-neighborhood" kind'a exhaust system ~ definitely what you DON’T want :gah:.

Also, review azwiz post of 9-16-13 with the same question. Didn't like the V&H Short Shots (complete) exhaust. Same problem ~ too loud, even with the "quiet" baffles.

I'm not "dumping" on Vance & Hines ~ just a few choices to avoid.

Only you know what exactly your looking for as far as the sound. Whats to loud to you may not be to others. What sounds good to you may not to others. Go to bike dealers, bike nights, or anywhere there is a gathering of bikers and look for Sportsters like yours and talk to the owners of them. You will find most are very happy to talk about their bike to you. Ask them to start their bike so you can hear what their pipes sound like. When you do find pipes that meet your ears liking I'm sure the owner of that bike will be happy to give you any info you may what about their pipes. That way you should find what you are looking for and like.
Dan

Good advise. Thanks

If cost is a consideration, it would be less expensive to swap out the mufflers than to buy a complete system. I had a set of Rush slash cut mufflers on a 2007 XL1200, and it sounded great.

The Bassani mufflers that came with my champion kit are really sweet, just loud enough but not overwelming. Also i was prepared for a power loss due to triking my bike but gained power instead. They opened up that old motor and it runs better than before.
( the Bassani mufflers came with the kit for older bikes because you couldn't use you stock exhaust.)

They sound really nice on my old single cam 80"

Even though I just got the trike, I'm looking into a quieter exhaust (aftermarket, but don't know which for sure). Went to HD and his top two suggestions were to go the slip-on muffler route (V&H 3-1 or the Cobra 3"). Even though he was a V&H guy, he reccomended the Cobra w/a more "mellow" sound but still has grunt. So I ordered some off EB & am awaiting them now. Install looks doable "in-house"

I agree with the slip-ons approach, especially when considering cost. I have a set of Rush mufflers, designed especially for DFT trikes, on mine. Louder than stock but not harsh. (There ain't a lot of room for mufflers on those.) If you have room, Cycle Shack slip-ons are fairly cheap, make about as much power as anything else, and I like the sound. They used to make Screamin' Eagle slip-ons back in the carburetor days.

Hope that helps.

Vinnie, Why do some exhausts sound so much deeper than others?Whatever size Sporty engine you're running puts out puts out a given range of sound vibrations, high to low. To get the deep sound you want we have to get rid of the high frequency vibrations. Call any muffler manufacturer and ask them which of their mufflers is best at attenuating high frequency vibrations and you'll have the muffler that'll produce the deep rumble you want.

It's good to get a muffler with replacable packing, too.

Phu Cat

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png