new to forum bought 2008 gl1800 with solid axle champion

Gary...

I saw your post in the DFT section stating that your wife cannot tolerate the solid axle ride. If possible, perhaps you could rent an independent suspension trike (IRS) for your wife to try out so that she can compare the solid to the IRS.

Also, be aware that a trike is not as smooth a ride as a 2-wheeler....When it comes to bumps and a rough road you will definitely feel it more on a trike than a bike although on a nice smooth road the ride is great. Might save you some time and money before investing in another vehicle. Wishing you both the best and hope you’ll be ready for spring riding!

A proper back brace and abdominal exercises and how you sit will make a huge difference compared to the minor differences the suspension will have.

We have a 2004 GL1800 Champion solid axle. Gloria has no problems with the ride in the passenger seat as long I avoid the most jarring bumps.

We also have a Diamond custom seat made to our measurements and weight. One thing that helped the most was the replacement backrest for the passenger. We ordered ours with the seat, but they can be ordered on their own. It is more upright than the stock seat and according to Gloria much more comfortable over bumps, as the shock of the bump is in line with her back instead of flexing her spine as in the more laid back stock position.

There are replacement backrests, spacers and some I know have had he stock backrest modified to take out the lean.

Someone suggested to hit things like speed bumps straight on. Gloria does better if I hit them at an angle - she says the rocking motion by one rear wheel then the other going over the bump is easier on her than an up and down jolt. She has an air pad she doesn't use anymore - it made it softer but she didn't like the feeling of, as she put it, sitting on a small waterbed.

Our Champion retained the rear OEM adjustment. I can adjust the ride stiffness a bit with the controls on the left fairing below the pocket.

Do some experimenting, as my wife did. She'll most like find some combination that will work.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png