New VW Build

Wow, almost a month since my last update. Man, I'm slacking! Anyway, I pinched a nerve in my back was out of commission for two weeks, so I didn't get much done. Luckily my back-bender got me straightened out and I feel great again.

I've made a lot of progress the past few days. Got floorboards welded in, pulled the cooling tins off and using electrolysis, cleaned the rust off and painted them. gave the engine a complete tune-up and carb rebuild and installed new exhaust. Runs great now.

I went to Tractor Supply and bought an 11 gallon air tank to use for a fuel tank. It's a bit on the heavy side, but for $40, you can't beat the price. You can get the weld in gas nozzle and cap on ebay for $15 and it worked great. I also purchased a storage box to go between the fuel tank and engine.

While I was laid up with back problems, I found some great deals on Craigslist. I got a set of Keystone mags with new tires for an amazing 150 dollars, sold the front set for 80. That left me with a 15x10" set with new 295-50/15's. I also found a set of solid aluminum Fatboy wheels with almost new tires for $50. I had a GSXR rear wheel on the front but was going to have to get a new tire for it and that was going to be over 100 dollars.

I've still got a ways to go. Bodywork, once I figure out what I want to do, wiring, throttle and of course the dreaded inspection by the Highway Patrol to get a title. I was really hoping to finish to make the Rally in the Valley, but no luck.

[URL="

[URL="

For those frozen bolts that are hard to get out try heating them then touch a little Gulf Wax to them or the threads. You might try welding a bolt to the broken exhaust bolt then use some Gulf Wax to make it come out easier, if you haven't got it out yet.

More work on the trike today. Added a bail to the rockers for added support.

Got most of the outer structure for the bodywork finished. This will be covered in sheetmetal and painted. I am going to build a floor in the triangular section on each side for the battery and electrical. These sections swing out to allow access.

Thanks for the words of praise guys. It was a fun build and a great learning experience, as this was my first trike. I couldn't have done it without this site and the great builders that hang out here.

Since my last update, I did away with the side pods and bodywork and just left it bare-bones. Got it registered and have been riding on nice days. It handles like it's on rails and though it's underpowered, it's a blast to drive and as a bonus I get a solid 50 mpg with the stock 1500sp engine. I have all my controls set up just like a car. Shifter on the right side, foot gas pedal and brakes on the right, clutch on left. No need to relearn.

Chrome,
looks great, couple questions, how does the trike handle going down the road with that front end?
Also, do you know what the trail is on the front?
Thanks,

On a nice flat road, it tracks great. You can take your hands off the bars no problem. It's a very nice smooth ride. My trail is about 1.5 inches. I've made some changes to the front end since the last pics I posted. I changed from 2" sq tubing to I.5 inch to get the weight down on the front end. It wasn't that the front was too heavy for the trike, it was too heavy to steer quickly. I also changed to 0 degrees in the triple trees and extended the rockers to get the proper trail.

honestly..if you had made your rockers sit lower on the wheel...you steering wouldnt be so heavy, regardless of the weight.. otherwise...love the build..nice lines looks like alot of fun.

honestly..if you had made your rockers sit lower on the wheel...you steering wouldnt be so heavy, regardless of the weight.. otherwise...love the build..nice lines looks like alot of fun.

You like so many other people who have said the same thing fail to realize that when I sit my fat ass in the seat, the suspension droops and the rockers are at a different angle than what you see in the picture. I don't know how many times people have said "your trail is too long. It won't handle." Well yeah, it is too long until I sit down. And the steering is not heavy. It WAS with the heavy front end.

And another one I love is, "It must take a ten acre field to turn that thing around." My next door neighbor made that mistake the first day I took it out for a test drive. I bet him $100 it would turn a smaller circle than his RX7. That bet paid for those fancy LED lights I'm running now. That one simple bet has netted me over $500 since I started driving the trike.

Chromedome--Think your bender guy would bend me up some pipe? Your basic frame build is what I'm looking for. Any chance you would have plans for this frame? I could purchase these plans if your interested? Also, I've read that a guy should max the rake at 43 degrees for handling. Am I way off here?:xzqxz:

Chromedome--I really like this frame and this is what I want mine to look like. I'm looking for 1-3/4 dom or 4130 for my frame but haven't located any in the Denver area as of yet. I want a long trike--about 120" wheelbase. Can you tell me how long your configuration is in your pic with just the fork tube attached? What wheelbase do you see when finished with your build? Thanks

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png